1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mesh WiFi 6

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Just got this hooked up. If you don't have it, get it! Incredible improvement over my old WiFi router/extender setup. Way faster with much better reach throughout the house.

ale.istotle likes this.
  2. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    ale.istotle and Stanford Guitar like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

4. Stanford Guitar

5. getbent

bueno. for me, I wanted the 'this will be complete and total overkill and work everyday if the link is up.' and...

it has. We've had 3 people on zoom all day pretty much everyday, using the internet, our tv all comes through, our security stuff, cameras, alarms etc.. I love the dang thing, I dug that I could do what I wanted with it, shape QOS, stuff I do at work on 10 and 40 gb links. pretty cool stuff!

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  6. Stanford Guitar

On my laptop about 25 feet from the router through plaster walls. Pretty good.

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 12.17.47 AM.png

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm very happy with our Amplifi system.

The Ubiquiti and their Amplifi SOHO brand are very popular with associates who are also network engineers. They don't have the consumer brand recognition and advertising some have but they come from an enterprise company and AFAIK don't have the often shared generic chipsets that go unpatched.

The WiFi 6 like that are really strong but some buildings (homes) still benefit from multiple meshed units so mesh with WiFi 6 at home can get expensive.

For someone not going for WiFi 6, their "meshpoints" have super radio performance and a no brainer and easy to adjust aspect.

Anyone upgrading should know it's common for a lot of home level wireless printers and other devices to not have 5 GHz radios so a feature called band steering can be very important. Especially if you are near others' WiFi installations.

IMO, we're probably at a point where getting WiFi 6 makes sense for a new purchase. A single Alien unit will probably be fine for most homes.

8. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

9. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

1Gbps Cat6 to the Mikrotik RB3011 router connected to 1Gbps fiber provisioned at 500Mbps/500Mbps - I threw out the underpowered consumer quality ****** fiber router provided by the ISP :)

AC access point, ceiling mounted with a POE cable on each floor of the house - smooth!

Wifi 6 looks interesting, but not that much faster than 802.11ac (Wifi 5) in real life applications. Personally I stick a cable in everything that can have a cable - laptop docking stations, printers (would not buy one without a LAN port), switches and access points. My argument against Mesh networks has been that you improve coverage at the cost of bandwidth, since the mesh units need to eat up Wifi bandwidth and available channels to communicate with each other instead of user devices.

10. getbent

agree on cabling what makes sense. I have apple tv for my two tvs and wire to it. I ran cable to my garage and have a gig switch there for the cupboard that holds my security server and recording box and some other stuff.

Wifi 6 is nice for a variety of reasons and the ability to tune the house and add high quality mesh when you want it (and simply and seamlessly and 'fo sho' reliabilty...

I am building a mesh network across the city of San Jose using traffic lights and light poles into the neighborhoods so kids and folks without internet can access it. It is complex but, it is amazing, we can pretty much cover a neighborhood with about 220 radios. The only thing that takes time is politics... but, you know, when they see it work (especially now) they step on the gas and say 'hey, this was a pretty good idea'

Lots of really righteous products out there....

11. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Ok, so have any of you tried to hook up a second router to your system to extend it?

I have a second router and have tried to set it up to do that.

Haven't had success yet but haven't spent that much time on it.

Seems like a cheaper way to extend your system with old technology you might have laying around

12. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have the house wired for gigabit ethernet and a hacked WiFi router connected to 9dB boost antennas in the attic. I can log into my WiFi a block and a half down the street.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  13. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Here is a comparison of many of the Wifi 6 Mesh Systems mentioned in this thread so far...

koen likes this.
  14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

There's also legit DIY stuff to consider such as the Opensense or PFsense and good access points. With such a nerdy and DIY gang here, your rabbit hole can be so deep you can add powering and controlling LED lights!

For now I went with everything shrink wrapped at home because I can't avoid the complexity in my day job but with some kitchen remodel ahead I'm thinking pull more cable.

2021 should probably have a rule to not buy a WiFi device like a printer for your home that's only 2.4 GHz or access points that are not band steering for 2.4 GHz. That keeps repeating with work from home staff.

I feel paying that extra for WiFi 6 now will be no regrets it even though it will get cheaper.

getbent likes this.
  15. getbent

agree. I got rid of all the 2.4 ghz except for my garage door opener, and for it, I made a separate network. 2.4 NO MO.

There is plenty under the hood on the Alien to tweak... I love that you can set it to update itself and set the time of day for that.. pretty cool. In fact, the whole thing is cool... the best part is--> rock solid. I'd imagine the TP link stuff is great too.

imwjl likes this.
  16. getbent

you would need two radios in one of the units to do that. One radio connects back to the router that is connected to your isp, the other broadcasts the ssid that you are repeating. You'd need to set the second router to just pass through though and inherit dhcp and dns from the first router, otherwise tower of babel if you moved through the house.

Option B, run some cat6 from router a to router b, set the second router just as a repeater and there is your extension.

Option B = much more stable and reliable *unless you have fierce rats and pretty easy to set up. If you really get stuck... write down the models and make of your two boxes and which one you want to be A and which one B and send to me in pm, I'll try to help you set it up.

The downside of the cheaper units is processing power... when you turn on the features you need, you are right at or maybe beyond what they can really do... which is why all the resetting.

With a better tool, it self medicates and has the horsepower to handle tons of traffic without sweating it.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

So, I should improve my internet connection speed and range to make it easier for my neighbors to steal from me? :D:D

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I only have about 115mbps download speed, but my upload speed is pretty constant at 12.8Mbps. It seems odd that an upload speed of nearly three times the rate at my house would only increase upload speed by about 4Mbps.

Not sure what is to be gained by spending more money. We run two televisions when we want to doing strictly streaming services, my computer, my wife's computer, and two telephones off of what we have. I don't have any problems with any of it. However there are only two people living here, maybe it's different for others with large families. We switched to streaming about a year ago from cable, I would never, ever go back to cable. If it came to that, I'd use the antennas to watch tv, and just use the phone to look up stuff, and shoot the bull on the BD.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  19. getbent

I tune mine to fit my house and my yard. The nicer units make it easy to turn up or down and, to a degree, shape the signal. I don't want mine blasting down the block, it creates issues for other users... we have two newer neighbors who have their radios on as high as they'll go, not smart.

But, blasting your signal isn't necessarily that big of a security threat, if you are using WPA2 and securing it, it will make most folks keep walking.

the review video was fun! guess which unit chris Majestyk has at home? the alien.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

That's where I am at right now. I hardwired the house years ago so I have a hard line run from the first router in the attic to the second router in the basement. My computer is plugged into the one in the basement just as a way to connect the hard line to my computer.
    I just need to programm the second unit to act as another wifi point....
    I will try setting it up again and report back

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.