Mesa Pedal Owners

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Tone Chase, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

I haven’t seen Mesa pedals mentioned on this forum too often.

I have been through many pedals and amps, over my many, many years of guitar playing.

This is where I can finally say that I amp content, and confident that I my long search is over. I am surprised that I can quickly dial in what my ears want to hear, in a musical manner.

I have a large pile of pedals to sort through and part with now. I have never said that before.

This is basically what I have arrived at. The choice of fuzz pedal, may never be totally solved.
    image.jpg

One of the main attractions to the Mesa line of pedals, is the low level of floor noise, considering the outrageous levels of gain that can be generated, even when stacked.

My single coil Telecasters and Stratocasters, never sounded this consistently good with a Drive pedal.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    blowtorch and Collin D Plonker like this.
  2. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Which do you recommend for a good general overdrive?

3. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

Probably a Flux Drive. It is pretty much an effective preamp, that has a gain boost option, with 12 dB treble boost, 12 dB of bass boost.

I have the Flux Five version that looks like two pedals in one, but actually works like five, with extended versatility. It has the Mesa five slider EQ, hi/lo setting, trim setting for a solo boost setting. It can go from simple crunch, to the liquid lead that Mesa Mark series amps are famous for. This can all be done on a very clean channel of the amp, to the dirtiest setting your amp is capable of.

Another option, if you stay on a nice clean channel, and one of the Flux pedals, is adding, or stacking another Drive or boost pedal in front of it. You can pick your simple Boss DS1, or cheaper facsimile, and reap enormous, fat musical tone, with enticing touch sensitivity.

I bought all these pedals used. They all do extremely useful things that can be stacked, used solo, or to whatever stage of driven tone you like from your amp.

I am using them with my FSR PRRI, and my Mesa Express 5:25 Plus.

I am still playing with pedal order.

The first pedal that I bought was the Tone Burst. I was so impressed that I decided to try a Grid Slammer when it became available. It is a fatter sounding tube screamer, that quickly replaced three other TS type pedals.

The next pedal that showed up was the Throttle Box. It has a reputation for being a heavy metal, Rectifier kind of pedal. I stupidly thought that I would not need this pedal, because I don’t play metal. I could never be more wrong. It is the most fun pedal of the bunch. Put it on the lo setting, turn the gain all the way down, and you have great classic rock tone. Stack the Grid Slammer in front of it, and I just start to grin.

The combinations seem endless, the low floor noise of the pedals is wonderful, even when you stack a pair. I have had sets of high end boutique drive pedals, that drove me nuts with noise issues. The touch sensitivity and sustain is real, and lends the ability to add multiple channels to non master volume amps. Using these pedals with my Mesa Express Plus, is rewarding at levels that I never imagined possible coming from my hands on an electric guitar.

I had this kind of fun back in my eighties rack unit days, but the extraneous, undesirable noise generated back then, drove me nuts, led me to the selling of that gear, and just try using a few select pedals.

I hope this answers your question. The ease in selecting powerful and effective settings with the simple knobs dumbfounds me. I am not used to things working so well. The Flux Five takes a little more work with the EQ. The slightest movement, makes a difference. I would have been happy with a regular Flux Drive unit, but the other option presented itself, and I thought ‘why not’.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Collin D Plonker likes this.
  4. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I'll check it out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.