Mesa California Tweed, NAD

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by scooteraz, Nov 20, 2019.

1. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

OK, I know I posted on another thread that the Mesa California Tweed was probably not where I would look for sweet tweed sounds. But that was before I had a chance to play one in person. That changed my mind. So, I traded my old Priceton Recording amp, sold of a PartsCaster, and voila, I’m now the owner of one.

Much more impressive in person than on the YouTube videos, and the variable power option along with the master volume (that I was sure I’d dislike) make this a really usable amp in a variety of situations. My favorite is the 30W option (one pair of power tubes in pentode and one pair in triode) is my favorite. Really friendly to pedals.

The 49 pounds is a drawback, but, considering the tones, not so bad. Mine is the standard configuration and colors; it might be nice to have something else, but the differential pricing is a little over the top.

[​IMG]

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Congrats, nice amp. 49 lbs is light for a Mesa.

Enjoy!

3. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Want one of these so bad! but I already got one Mesa. Hard to sit on several $1200 + amps

Owenmoney likes this.
  4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I had a Mk IV for years, it was a workhorse and never gave me a hiccup. But, it wasn't really my sound, eventually I figured that out. IT also weighed 85 lbs (it was the 1x12 combo).

However, Mesa has piqued my interest again with these! I am very interested in trying one out.

Enjoy your new amp! I know I'll be interested to hear some good updates and hands-on review!

5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

That will be a good one - Congratulations !

6. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

I still have a 5:50 Express Plus as well. The clean on that was the cleanest clean I had ever heard on a Mesa amp up to then. I also got it from a dealer who really, really wanted to get it off the sales floor.

The Tweed seems to be slightly less loud at similar master volume and gain settings from the Express Plus. I like the clean sound on the Tweed way better, but of course, there are more tones without needing pedals in the Express Plus. The Express is way more complicated. Embarrassment of riches....but I’m thinking I may end up selling the Express.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Axis29 likes this.
  7. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

Congratulations! I'm picking one up in the next few days as well.

Crobbins and Veltek like this.
  8. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Ya'll new California tweed owners need to post a couple vids for us to drool over please. :rolleyes:

9. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

Ya know, there are a bunch of YouTube videos out there of this amp; indeed t think there is one attached to another California Tweed thread here (I think the one where I posited that I wouldn’t look to Mesa first for these tones...). All of those have better production values than I can manage, and none do the amp real justice. You, sir, need to find one to try. Just saying.

10. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That was one of my problems with the Mk IV. Too many knobs, too many options.... Of course, i really didn't know gear very well, and wasn't as serious about music the entire time I owned it. But, the minute I had a good tone, if I looked sideways, I'd lose the setting and be fiddling for hours trying to get something back.

I'm really not good at tweaking... I just want to walk up, plug in and go. Well, really, I always think I WANT all those options, but as I've gotten older, I've come to some self-realizations. The biggest is probably that TMB w/ presence is almost too much for my empty headedness to handle! LOL

MickM and graybeard65 like this.
  11. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats. I just got one a couple of weeks ago. Love it.

snottyboy likes this.
  12. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

Awesome! Congratulations! Tell us about your experience with it!

13. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Not to many high end shops a round here. Gotta drive 30 minutes just to get to a GC. I am not in the market for one. I just want to see my TDPRI friends enjoying their new toys :).

14. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Got to play one the other day and you're right, the videos don't do it justice. Sounds incredible, and I was blow away by the sensitivity to picking dynamics. Congratulations!

snottyboy likes this.
  15. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Congrats, if it sounds as good as it looks, you got yourself a winner...

16. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've had the amp a couple of weeks now, sounds good to me. I've played my Les Paul, and my Reverend Gristlemaster through it. I am very happy with the new amp. Thanks.

[​IMG]

brookdalebill and snottyboy like this.
  17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Looks great!

Crobbins likes this.
  18. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I totally love my express 5:50 plus, like you said an embarrassment of riches, but it’s an amazing amp. A little short of a mark 5 but it ticks all my needs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

I see yours is set at 40 W. I think my favorite setting is the 30W setting. The others are really cool, but for me there is something about the 30W.

BTW, cool guitar.

Crobbins likes this.
  20. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Congrats! I'm definitely envious. I've had GAS for one of these since they were first announced. I'm a big Boogie fan (Mark V:25 owner) and I love the tweed sound (built my own Champ this summer) so my mind and heart have conjured a "sonic image" of what this amp would be like that may or may not be a realistic expectation. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.