Mesa boogie subway blues info?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by sonicsamurai, Jan 26, 2020.

1. sonicsamurai

sonicsamurai Tele-Meister

I have been looking at alternatives for my pro junior and I've stumbled upon a mesa subway blues. I wasn't looking for mesas (maybe because I usually associate them with £££) so I was quite surprised to find this in a similar price range. Simple, single channel with reverb, 3 band eq and bright/fat switch. Looks blackface ish, seems to have nice cleans from the videos I've watched. I like simple and I currently gig pubs around Warwickshire. I'm happy to have that mild organic overdrive that works well for rhythm and can be cleaned up with the volume knob.

I've seen some very positive threads about the amp (a couple less so but the positive threads seem to have more posts!), so aware some people seem to rave about them, but i'm curious about the version history. I've heard of at least 2 versions (1st version had noise issues and 2 inputs, then 1 input and switch). However everyone seems to talk about a half power mode - I have seen on early versions there are 4 output Jack's 8 ohm, 2 x 4ohm and half power, but the versions I have seen on ebay don't seem to have this. Does anyone have any info that will help me date the versions on ebay or confirm that there is a later 3rd version of this amp? Opinions on the amp e.g. Overdrive onset also welcome :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Great amp - these along with Blue Angels and Lonestars are where Boogie lined all the ducks up on the wall. They sorted the clean and reverb and got the dirt to about where you want it.

For small venues they're a great thing - like BF Fenders you can get them to just breakup and ride with your guitar vol.

3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I may have been looking at the same advert as you. :) It caught my eye because I saw a Steely Dan tribute band last November and the lead guitarist was using a Subway (miked since it was quite a large hall). I hadn't seen one before but was impressed at the sounds he got out of it, though he did have a fairly large pedal board, so I guess he was using it clean and getting dirt from his pedals.

Can't be any help otherwise, but will be interested to hear what you think if you do buy it (don't worry I won't :)).

4. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Mesas are great amps, the EQs usually work different than other amps. Check Mesa’s website for online manuals. Most people complain because they never read the manuals. You don’t just set everything to noon. In addition they usually have suggested setting for various tones. Good luck,hope you enjoy it .

https://mesa-boogie.imgix.net/media/User Manuals/Subway Blues.pdf
    That’s the link to the user manual
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  5. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I still have mine since bought new when they first came out. Unfortunately this version had the hum issue that didn't reveal itself until after a few months. My fix for it was to bypass the "mojo module", a goop covered small circuit board which as a result also disables the effects loop. Mesa used to sell a replacement module for $100 but I don't think you can get it any more. Other than that it works great. I think there are 4 gain stages and as a result it is a bit noisy in general but nothing you can hear while playing--just a bit of a hiss--not completely quiet. Very nice tube driven reverb.
    Great amp. Very loud for its size and the simplest layout of any mesa ever made. The first version like mine has two inputs, Bright, and Fat. Not two channels, but merely two separate voices. The second version replaced the two inputs with a toggle switch.
    I've used it to gig with and it can keep up easily in a small to moderate sized venue without micing. I also sometimes use it in conjunction with a Thiele cab with a EV12L.
    As you will notice if you read the manual, the Mid control works as a gain when pushed past midway on the dial.

6. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

7. sonicsamurai

Can you define early for me? As in whereabouts on the dial? Would be interested to know. Not many demos and all of them are basically playing clean so not heard the overdrive sound of the amp which is making me a bit wary of a purchasing it blind...

8. ScottJPatrick

Mine started to break up about just over half way, lower gain valve in V1 helped but the subway rocket has much more clean headroom if that's what you want. Subway blues has a great bluesy/mild distortion tone, reverb is lovely on it if that's what your after.

9. sonicsamurai

Tbh I don't like too clean... I like Fender amps where they open up as the power stage gets pushed and you can get that overdrive that is there when you dig in but still allows picked cleans or you can roll the volume on you guitar back a couple of notches. That's my ideal rhythm sound and I can then use a pedal for lead if I need it. I had a Deluxe Reverb one time that sounded great as it got to about 5 but couldn't get it to 5 with my band.

10. sonicsamurai

Double post

11. ScottJPatrick

Sounds like you would like the tones on the subway blues, if it's cheap enough just grab it, can always sell it on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.