Mesa Boogie Studio .22 Speaker suggestions

chief_stallion03

TDPRI Member
I need some help. I have a Mesa Boogie Studio .22 Plus with GEQ that I have used for about 13 years. It has been my primary amp ever since I got it. The speaker has unfortunately died and I'm looking for a replacement. Do you all have any suggestions because I am a little bit overwhelmed with all the research I've done and I'm not sure what speaker to go with. I primarily play a lot of blues and rock. I use the clean channel with pedals mostly. If I play hard rock I use the lead channel. I was considering the Eminence Legend 1258 because it claims to give an American style tone, but I really know nothing about speakers so any suggestions would be a huge help. The pedals I run through the amp are an Echoplex tape delay and Boss TR2 thru the FX Loop. Then the primary signal chain is my junior wah, TS9, an original blues breaker, and a You Dirty Rat if that helps any.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I had the studio caliber 22. No graphic eq.
It came with an Celestion V30 by Mesa boogie. That thing
boogied. It takes speakers well. You might try
a Fane M65 or a creamback too. More modern and
great rockers. If you want all american chime
then maybe not. Probably a C12N or that Legend.
ALnicos cream or gold too.
have fun ..you can't go wrong...get the right ohm though.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Why not ask Mesa what they would recommend? It’s free to ask anyway, and they’ll know the amp.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have one on the bench right now…the PCB board has lost all of its supports…with most of the connecting leads broken. I’ll take a look to see what the speaker is in it.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
These amps suit an open style speaker. The Emi Legend is a good pick. Celestion V-type, Lead or A-type would be good in these amps.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
I would suggest the classic, Celestion G12M Greenback if you can use a 8 or 16 ohm speaker. If it's 4 ohm, you would find it hard to beat the Warehouse Green Beret. Many of the 1x12 Mesa's used an EV 12L, good speakers, just a little too clean for my taste, and those suckers are HEAVY!

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have one on the bench right now…the PCB board has lost all of its supports…with most of the connecting leads broken. I’ll take a look to see what the speaker is in it.

okay, so this Mesa Studio .22 I have here carries the OEM ‘Vintage Black Shadow’ speaker, which is an Eminence.