Mesa Boogie Rocket Four40 4X10 combo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blowtorch, Sep 11, 2020.

1. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire

My limited experience with Mesa boogies are that they always seem louder than the numbers would suggest and they’re always heavier than they look by a fair margin.

if there’s anything else I’ve found to be true of M/B amps, if you look long enough, you will find that pretty much every amp was produced in every speaker configuration imaginable. I once watched a local shop guy sell the crappiest, $189 pointy-head guitar by demo-ing it for 10 minutes through a cream/tan Mesa LoneStar Special 4x10...that amp was stellar! And last year, I somehow walked away from blue Angel in green tolex with a Jensen P15.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

the Blue Angel combo that I'd played many years back, I could swear it had a strange configuration of both 10s and 12s in it, or something.

I'm still haunted by that sound though. And this was the clean

Jakedog likes this.
  3. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I have the Mesa Express 5:50+ I love it. It just has so much oomph, they come packed with great sound, versatility and solid construction. Wish you lots of luck with yours. Looks great.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The 440 is a killer sounding amp. Not like a bassman at all, to me. If I had to compare it to something, I’d say more in the Super Reverb family, but much, much better sounding to a guy like me who really doesn’t dig Fender amps.

Imagine a Super Reverb with the thick and juicy slightly mid-forward voicing. Then imagine it also has a seriously great overdrive channel.

At $400 you basically stole that thing. I wouldn’t have been able to get the money out of the bank fast enough.

SheldonP and blowtorch like this.
  5. blowtorch

Agreed. I was just going off appearances, with the 4 10s and the relatively somewhat narrow cab.
    That was all before I'd played it.
    And yeah, the Super Reverb comparison makes a ton of sense

And yes, it didn't take long to figure out that i HAD to snap it up, at that price. Four40 for four Franklins :cool:

Jakedog likes this.
  6. Jakedog

One thing I love about this amp in comparison to a Super, is that with the Mesa the bottom end doesn’t come apart and splat out with some volume on it. You can get great lows at serious volume, and they stay nice and tight.

7. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Nice I hope I run up on a deal like that (sadly I won’t.)
    Around here a Rivera 212 quite used tags @ $1600+... oh, I can’t do that

8. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I got the same amp used in about 2008 for $200. It was in great shape with the exception being the reverb didn't work. I ended up putting a full size tank in the bottom of the cab. It's a nice amp. It stays in my jam room:>) Platefire

blowtorch likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Start the car! Start the car!

[​IMG]

Jakedog likes this.
  10. blowtorch

:lol:

11. blowtorch

Yeah this thing is gonna pretty much stay put, either in my living room (which already has four five other amps) or the basement (goodness knows how many amps are down there)

Edit- I just counted, the number seems to be nine, in the basement, counting the bass amp
    NOT bragging. It's ridiculous

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Jakedog likes this.
  12. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

Apparently the Blue Angel wasn’t accepted with open arms from Mesa’s core buyers. It was a Fender variant and personally I think it did that American sound better than the Lonestar series.

I own a couple of Fender tweed Bassman amps I play at home. I find the 4x10 configuration sounds nice and full in the house without being too loud. I’m thinking that Rocket sounds good in the house too.

blowtorch likes this.
  13. Jakedog

Well if you get tired of the rocket, I’ve got dibs.

blowtorch likes this.
  14. blowtorch

Researching this, I'm thinking it's the "Progressive Linkage" (the ability to switch from 6L6 to EL84 to "Simul-Link") feature that was very unique to me at the time

Figures that I'd go and get Mesa Madness, now :p

The cliche that I'd always thought of was either Santana tone or numetal djent, but these amps are so much more than that

Jakedog likes this.
  15. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

This is the $200 Subway Rocket 440. It belonged to a personal friend. He wanted to sell it to buy something else. He kept calling me lowering the price. I didn't need any more amps, so I kept resisting. When he offered it for $200, I didn't have any more resistance.

I've got a lot of use out of it. I use to use its switchable distortion stages but I now use pedals. The Master Volume allows you to play it at lower volumes and still get a good sound. I once changed the tubes to a new set of JJ pre-amps and power tubes but it lost its magic, so I put the Mesa Boogie tubes back in and it was back again. Platefire
    DSC01051.JPG
    DSC01054.JPG

16. TIM5150

TIM5150 TDPRI Member

I see one used on Guitar Centers website for like $650. If anyone is interested.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.