Mesa Boogie Rocket Four40 4X10 combo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blowtorch, Sep 11, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Almost looks like MB's idea of a bassman:

Anyone familiar?

2. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

blowtorch likes this.
  3. blowtorch

bftfender likes this.
  4. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Possibly have made the switch to Mesa, few weeks ago put one in the mix. Now they keep rolling in.

3-Chord-Genius and blowtorch like this.
  5. blowtorch

care to elaborate? I've never owned a Mesa Boogie, nor a Mesa nor a Boogie

6. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

The manual is your friend. They are extremely useful. The tone controls do not necessarily work like what you might be used to. The Subway series has a simpler layout than many that came after.
    Download one from that link I provided above if it doesn't have one.

I've got two Boogies and love them both.

blowtorch likes this.
  7. bftfender

Have bunch of Marshalls & fenders & peaveys. Got F100 & was floored..the cleans, big ! darn near the the fenders. Then the gain..chords even under lots of it. Stay clear with note separation. They have a dif response than am used to..its quick..its super tight. In a heavier phase right now so its super nice in recording..no flub on lower mids. It took a day until i got used to the pick attack..now its a weapon. If you like picking single note or demand real tight rhythm response its there.
    then got he 50 Caliber+ ..there was the crunch monster & soaring lead machine

The DC3..angriest el84 amp ever played..a bit dark but in a usable way. heck of an amp if you are in a 2 guitar band & want your spot..it just sits a tad dif spot but in a deep authoritative way.

Triple Rec..does way more than the brootz..set is almost to any degree of break ya want.

My Marshall cabs..really influenced the mesa into the land i am familiar with..mids...there is gobs of usable mids in these,,,just dont scoop it like everybody does..The amps with the Mesa EQ..wow set the amp..then dial it exactly for use..the lw..mid & high can shelf real quick as needed. yesterday..tracking.. just Mic'd v30 & t75. Didn't even change mic's or guitars from rhythm to lead..first time ever..just touched the gain & 2 sliders. They just became weapons for sure in the recordings.

Brought my p90's back in play much more than was using. I still prefer the singles in the Fenders..but hums...from PAF low to my shredders w/ duncans & Dimarzios & ceramics even.

Seems to have reinvigorated my playing to another level cause of the tone preciseness available. yes they make you turn some knobs and the treble starts the gain tied to the gain & master..but man..there is a level of preciseness & options not possible in classic circuits

Knowing your guitars & playing style..the one you are looking at ..you will benefit & be able dial in your own tone pretty nice. The classic sound you are used to clean wise will be there & you will have many optins on how to hit that amp or use its own gain structure.

I was always looking for the Fender clean..with a vox attitude & marshall mid & 5150 power..the ones i have ..they get at those all in 1 package somehow,

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Tim S and blowtorch like this.
  8. TIM5150

TIM5150 TDPRI Member

I’ve been on the hunt for a Subway Blues for along time. Great amps in that series. Simple with great tone.

suave eddie and bftfender like this.
  9. blowtorch

So I bought it

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the club. 35 odd years Mesa here...

4x10” gotta be nice

bftfender likes this.
  11. blowtorch

I paid 4 bills. I think i did ok

12. blowtorch

This was def an impulse buy. I found it listed locally, inquired to see if it was still available, and was told their was someone coming Monday to check it out but if that deal fell through, he'd let me know. I replied, "not to tempt you, but i'm in your town, and i could stop by today."

And then I brought it home last night.
    I like never do that. I always have to sleep on things

It definitely sounds very nice, but at 58 pounds I'm pretty sure it's going to live at my home.
    Anyway, live performance gigs are really a thing of the past now, aren't they

bftfender likes this.
  13. blowtorch

You guys who've insisted I look at the manual, thanks for that. The interactive tone circuit is something you hear everyone tout that their amp features, this one actually does, and the tone adjustments work differently then you'd expect

Owenmoney, suave eddie and bftfender like this.
  14. bftfender

a Mesa 50 Caliber + salute to Blowtorch for checking one out.

50 cal.jpg

15. blowtorch

you guys, this amp is pretty cool :cool:

16. blowtorch

For the "pics or it didn't happen" crowd :) 20200914_095142.jpg

17. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Cool, nice find. I’ve never heard that one. A friend had the subway rocket 1x12 and the subway blues 1x10 and I played those. I liked them both. He gigged the rocket and it sounded really great in the mix. I also played through a Mesa blue angel which is 4x10 and I wished I had bought it and had it now as it sounded that good. Which guitars have you played through it?

18. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Sweet amp. I played through a used one in a music store many years ago and was close to buying it but didn’t pull the trigger. Congrats and enjoy blowtorch.

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Those are on my watch list, I think I need a 410 for some reason. Only 58 lb? That's light for a Mesa. Heck, I think that's lighter than a Deville 410?

20. blowtorch

I played through one of those decades back, and I thought it was one of the greatest sounding amps I'd ever heard.

To answer the question- I've played by CV50s Squier tele, my King Byrdland knockoff, My PRS, My Schecter Tempest and my Framus Idolmaker through it

It's a little ridiculous though- I got a cheap classical a few weeks back, and I've been so preoccupied playing that, I hardly play any electric anymore

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.