Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50 is The Best Amp I’ve Ever Had

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by SonicDiveBomb, Feb 23, 2020.

1. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Like most of you, I’m a very hardworking musician who needs hard working equipment.
    Some of you helped me diagnose problems I was having with BRAND NEW Fender 68 custom amps (two twins then a vibrolux) which sounded fantastic, but failed on me after very mild usage.

A nice guy at the local music store I just began going to, that I trust dearly, suggested I look at Mesa Boogie. They’re apparently very well known for their craftsmanship and their reliability.

I always thought Mesa was a “metal amp” company. Not sure where I got that from. I’m a fan of big sparkly cleans.
    Enter their newer line, the Fillmore. Which Randall smith (owner and creator of mesa boogie) himself said “we basically just made the fender amp we always wanted”

this thing is unreal. The clean sound is absolutely crisp and clear but the top end doesn’t get shrill. Do yourself a favor and check these out. I just played it at the studio today and was blown away with how it sounded with my mustang and jaguar. It handles pedals like a champ, and the drive channel on this thing SINGS.

2. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

mesa makes some very well regarded metal amps - the dual rec and the peavey 5150 are standard bearers for modern metal tones.

an old neighbor of mine had a 35 watt mesa head that had cleans as nice as a twin reverb but still did metal very, very well. i've never played any other amp i can say that about.

SonicDiveBomb likes this.
  3. SonicDiveBomb

Yes! I’m very new to Mesa, but I can say that as well. It does both very well. Feels like I found what I’ve been looking for for some time

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I went to my local store to buy a Mesa Triple Crown last summer and came home with this:

IMG_1155.jpeg

5. SonicDiveBomb

Nice. I’m definitely getting the extension cab at some point. Sounds so good

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

From a misinformed person with low IQ maybe?

ALL Mesa amps ,even the triple rectifiers and other "metal" amps, have AWESOME cleans.

My favorites are the MARK 1 (original & reissue) ones but I never met a Mesa (or MESA BOOGIE) amp tha was lacking in the cleans department.

7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm sorry to hear your disappointment with your fender amps. I have been wondering about fenders build quality for a while not that they don't build nice stuff, but consistency was my concern.
    Mr. Mesa started out in the back of prune music on old grove street rebuilding princetons. That was a very long time ago . I have plugged into some of his smaller offerings, over the years and always liked them but I was in the used low price market.
    Good for you have a ball. I wonder what it' feels like to have an international reputation for building for some people the gold standard for some metal head

jhundt likes this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

My original main rig has been Mesa since the 80’s.

Mesa preamps are superb. I use an older MKIII. Killer cleans and warm to edgy crunch and endless high end gain. Certainly not metal only machines. I think Metallica caused that narrative.

The Fillmores def. look nice. Last design they made that got my attention was the Lonestar.

Shuster and Chicago Matt like this.
  9. SonicDiveBomb

Right? Randal Smith is a household name. If you watch his sweetwater video, he’s a very genuine guy who really likes to bring music to people. That’s honestly what sold me.
    that makes a lot of sense actually! I tried a Lonestar Special at sam ash before I bought my Fillmore. THAT is a good sounding amplifier. Those cleans are unreal. The only reason I didn’t get it, is that it was used and had a few quirky problems.

10. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Love to try one of those out. Congrats.

11. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the review. I need to try one. I bought a MKIII new in the late 80's and it was a reliable workhorse until I sold it around 10 years ago. It was my only amp all that time and never failed me.

12. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Oh, my. The California Tweed looks nice too. I didn't know about that one. :cry:

Pontiaddict likes this.
  13. SonicDiveBomb

Beautiful sound. Didn’t get to try that one but I’ve heard it in videos

14. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

I have the 25 watt version, so, so good. I did have a problem with the reverb failing at a gig. Mesa fixed the issue, a bad Reverb cable. I no longer bring pedal board to gigs, just use Reverb and overdrive in the amp.

robrob and Chicago Matt like this.
  15. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Fellow Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50 owner here.

This thing is my #1 amp, and I currently own 9 different tube and SS amps. It's never leaving my possession.

16. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations Brother!!

Bought my first Mesa for Christmas, a Mark V 35 head, and I'm over the moon with it!! Have it plugged into a pair of Thiele cabs loaded with EV-12l's and it sound beautiful! And like you said, the clean sound is crisp and clear, and sings with active pickups!!

17. Frodebro

Careful-Mesas are addictive and can easily multiply if you let your emotions get away with you. I bought my Mark V shortly after they were released as "the amp to end all amp GAS," and now I'm up to six of 'em, with another one on the way...

Shuster likes this.
  18. Shuster

If I bring anymore gear in this house, I'll be moving my mutt's out of their palatial penthouseo_O;) I'll have to look into a few other models!!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Frodebro likes this.
  19. Shuster

So what other Mesa Beauties do you have in your collection?

20. Frodebro

Mark V head
    Stiletto Deuce II
    TA-15
    Mini Rectifier
    Fillmore 50
    DC-3

On the way-Triple Crown 50 head.

I can quit any time I want-honest...

SonicDiveBomb, BB and Shuster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.