1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mesa Boogie Fillmore 25?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by The Ballzz, Jan 24, 2021.

1. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Anyone here own a Boogie, Fillmore 25? It is giving me serious GAS! The impetus for said GAS is the several allusions to this amp being one of the very few (if any) Boogies that can do authentic Marshall and Tweed sounds. Also curious about the Celestion Custom 90 speaker that comes in it stock?
    Anybody?
    Gene

thunderbyrd, Old Plank and tah1962 like this.
  2. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I believe the Celestion Custom 90 is just a beefed up version of the Celestion Classic Lead 80 speaker. A quick Google search will probably tell you for sure.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

There's many Boogies that can do Tweed plus Marshall - not exactly, but good facsimile.

Express/Plus, Blue Angel, Lonestar, F30/50, mini-rec, Rectoverb, Mark V, Transatlantic.

What they all miss is the speaker flavouring a pre-Rola or Jensen alnico or Greenback gives.

Old Plank likes this.
  4. The Ballzz

Yes, I'm aware of those claims, although I'm not sure that I've played through that "Celestion Classic Lead 80" either, unless that is the same model "V-Type 80" that comes in the DSL40CR. If so, the one in the DSL isn't so bad, but definitely doesn't sound like any Greenback/Creamback variant!

Well, I do have a 65 watt Creamback that could get swapped in and maybe give that character? I just dislike the prospect of ponying up for a new premium priced amp and needing to swap out the speaker, to end up with another speaker I don't like. And then of course, there's the shipping costs if I don't like the amp! There are none locally to try out!

Thanx Folks,
    Gene

tah1962 likes this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I owned one briefly.

Sounds like a Boogie to me.

They all have that mid signature.

Quieter than its wattage rating (less present in rehearsal room than a DR, despite the mids). Reverb on the back sucks if you use reverb as an effect, not a set-and-forget.

Returned. As always, YMMV.

Honestly I think a Hot Rod Deluxe IV does way better at Fender (duh) and also Marshall for far less and sounding better.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

well, thanks for this thread. i had the hots for one of these, based on demos i watched. Now, not so much. GAS squashed. this is a good thing.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got a 50 combo. It's obviously going to sound a bit different due to the larger cab and power section, but either way the higher gain modes are much more Boogie than they are Marshall, mainly due to the lower midrange voicing. But they'll still do classic rock all day long, and can nail the Santana thing.

Cysquatch likes this.
  8. Dacious

Depends what you want.

If you only want to bring a guitar, cable and amp and don't use a pedalboard then Boogies can work well to give 2-channel tones..

I still kick myself for selling the Express 5:25 110 as it had lots of flexibility with the contour control and boost switch.

They're harder to dial in than a Fender - no harder than a Marshall - but once you realise the gain and treble controls are key it's not hard to find your sound. The key for Tweeds is crank mids.

I wish Boogie'd use 6V6s rather than EL84s in the 25 watters as I do agree with Milwark in the bass response of the EL84 25 watt models does not behave like bigger bottles.

MilwMark likes this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@Dacious - I think Fillmore 25 is 6v6

thunderbyrd likes this.
  10. The Ballzz

Yes, it is 6V6. With two identical channels that have three modes each. Each mode, though voiced a bit differently supposedly has a fair amount of gain overlap. And the "Marshall" tone/sound that I generally strive for is that territory that is often shared between a JTM45 and several of the Tweed amps, like the 5E3 Deluxe, 5E4 & 5F4 Super, as well as the 5E8-A Low Power Twin. And yeah, the speaker may have a lot to do with it. Although I've had several Boogies in the past and even through a '69, 1960B, 4x12 with greenbacks, that Marshall character was still elusive at best, to non existent! I want to love a Boogie, due to build quality, added features and the fact that Boogie knows how to do a really great reverb circuit, especially compared to Marshall's somewhat paltry attempts! I have a JTM30 that is great in many ways, and good reverb, but the loop is in the wrong part of the signal chain and the amp is pretty much a "two-trick pony" but those "two tricks" ARE pretty cool!
    Just My Experience,
    Gene

11. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I've got the 50 combo as well and absolutely love it. I'm not a huge Marshall lover and tend to think of the "Marshall-y" sounds in Boogies to just be a better version of the Marshall sound, and it's certainly capable of getting close enough for most any use outside of straight simulation, though. Toss an EQ in the loop and it'd take real minor sculpting to nail that sound, though. Granted, that trick does sort of make any amp a billion times more versatile.

I do think the 50 combo is the best of the bunch though. I spent a long time chewing on which Fillmore to get and it really seems like it's the perfect option. Granted, it's practically what I'd have built as a custom amp, so I'm pretty dang biased and just over the moon that Boogie put out something so bang-on for me as a player.

Frodebro likes this.
  12. Dacious

Oh OK - my bad. I guess if you're used to 6L6 bottom it could still sound a little lightweight.

13. The Ballzz

For me, the 50 watts would be way too much power and the 25 watt setting is achieved by running the power tubes in triode mode, which sounds like doo-doo to me. In my world, even a DSL20 or 13 watt Tweed Deluxe needs an attenuator to not hear that dreaded phrase: "Your guitar sounds great, can you just turn it down a little bit?" once cranked to its real sweet spot!

With that said, the hands down best piece of gear I've ever had in 50+ years of "Screamin & Squawkin'" with guitars has been the DIY, M-lite attenuator detailed here:

Simple Attenuators - Design And Testing
    Summary: September 2019 This thread started with a few resistors to make a simple attenuator for valve amps, and then developed into multistage...
    www.marshallforum.com

I can use any amp up to 50 watts, fully cranked into its sweetest spot, with all my bells and whistles, harmonic feedback, etc, etc, at bedroom volumes. This allows me to use my full rig for personal practice and get all my detailed echo/effects cues and levels right where I want them and then simply lessen the attenuation until I'm at performance volumes. It is so liberating that words cannot accurately describe it! To be honest though, any amps above thirty watts are "just a tad" above "bedroom" volumes, when cranked

Lovin' My Tone!
    Gene

14. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I get that for sure. I do think the Mesa master volumes tend to be about as good as they can get on a tube amp as far as maintaining decent tone, but if we're talking getting comfy bedroom volume, a lot of that tone issue comes from not driving the speaker nearly enough to get a full response from it, in my experience. I do use an attenuator - a Torpedo Captor - with it, but mostly just to make the curve of the knob a little less micro-sensitive at home. Though, it's fair to say the Fillmore's 50 watts seem to be absolutely nowhere near as loud as a Marshall's 50 watts, must be a much less efficient design or some other trickery on the ears.

I like the triode mode, though. It's not so much a volume thing as having a different power stage response on tap in practical usage to me. So, I find it pretty handy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.