1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mesa Boogie California Tweed or Bassman LTD?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by corbo, Oct 5, 2020.

1. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    I can attest to how the "power scaling" affects not only the output, but also the tone, as others have alluded to...

On my Mesa Boogie TransAtlantic TA-15 and TA-30 amps, each power setting has a different "feel". On the TA-15 in particular, the 5 watt singled-ended setting makes the tone noticeably thicker, which can be either good or bad depending on whether you need to sound thicker or not.

For me the 5 watt setting sounds nice, but I often have it set to the 15 watt level most of the time, since that provides a crisper, clearer tone that I prefer.

So, output level is only one factor when it comes to the power scaling side of things...

IMG_0361.JPG

`

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay, I give up with one last statement. This is the ONLY thread I have ever seen where the term power scaling has been misused to described output options that have NOTHING to do with true power scaling.

The mesa Transatlantic amp’s do not have power scaling. Call Mesa and ask them....or read the manual.

To understand what power scaling is, simply do a search for ‘power scaling in tube amps’.

kookaburra likes this.
  3. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I do appreciate all of this clarification. Honestly, they could call it a "variable wattage thingy" for all I care! It's not really a feature I'm looking for, but it is interesting. Just looking for people who have some experience with the Bassman LTD and/or The California Tweed amps vis a vis how they sound at full power, clean, with pedals providing any necessary dirt. Been reading nice things here about the Fillmore as well. Just going from video clips so far, but the cleans on the Fillmore seemed a bit "buttoned up", whereas on the CT they seemed to have a little more sparkle. I have run across a couple of clips of a guy playing some clean jazz through the CT, then kicking on a J Rockett Dude pedal for some leads, and it sounded *really* good to me.

Wally likes this.
  4. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Id play both first

Also, if you can afford the Mesa California Tweed, then you can also probably get a more vintage correct/boutique build of the Bassman as well. Nothing wrong with the Fender one though. Just a thought in response to those who may say you should get the Mesa based on build quality.

Build quality aside, theres more difference in the amps due to the speaker configs

corbo likes this.
  5. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

OK, I finally got around to messing with the amp. I dimed, all of the preamp controls (save reverb), and while it begins to breakup in the preamp section, it doesn’t get farty like some other amps. With the reverb dimed as well, one does get to the edge of oscillation, but still no “signal going to pieces” issues.

Hope that helps.

Wally likes this.
  6. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I messed around with the California Tweed one day. It sounded great to me. I almost pulled out my wallet.

7. shackleton1

shackleton1 TDPRI Member

Anyone found a pic of the Cali Tweed internals?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.