Mesa Boogie, California Tweed/Experience/Impressions?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by The Ballzz, Oct 4, 2019.

1. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Anyone here have any experience with the California Tweed? I ask because my favorite amp/sound/tone comes from a great 5E3 Tweed Deluxe, but with no modern features such as reverb and/or effects loop, it's impractical unless I do a two amp, wet/dry rig. That's just too much of a pain.

I'm considering a Marshall Studio Vintage, as my preferred sounds surround the somewhat shared territory of the Tweed Deluxe and a 4-hole Marshall, but with the modern conveniences! At face value, the California Tweed seems right up my alley, but being that they are not "stocked" by any vendors in my area, I can't try one without purchasing online and running the risk/cost of return shipping, if I hate the amp. From all the demos and reviews, the controls don't seem nearly as touchy and drastic as a typical Boogie and I'd love to hear some comments?

Thanks In Advance Folks!
    Gene

2. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

You're only a 5 hour drive from a big city that has a store
    you can play with it all day!

Heck, even drive to the factory.

3. Bad-Cat Pico

Bad-Cat Pico NEW MEMBER!

I have played one and I actually had the cheddar in my pocket to make the purchase should I want.

1st off let's get obvious out of the way. Best looking combo/head ever made. How you would gig with that beast no flight case, shudder, cant imagine.

The sound. Tweed covered. To the T. And more. Love the ability to switch power with the tubes. I only got 15 minutes and played through a MIJ tele. Really enjoyed the user friendly interface. The NASA space station array of switches was available (this is a mesa after all) but plug and play (eh to a stretched point) is available.

LOUD. Or bedroom loud if you want it. Obviously you wont be playing metal on this thing with out some type of pedal tho.

If you have the loot id say make the jump. Its the only mesa I would buy hands down. I went with a Deluxe Reverb 68 but it was mostly cause I was poor and Id have a mesa but no longer a penis if I came home with a 1700$ amp with the rational of "its so pretty" and listen to the tone when I play the Stones, Monkeyman.

4. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

@Bad-Cat Pico
    Thanks for the comments, though I'm not sure I see "The NASA space station array of switches" that you mention. Looks fairly simple & straight forward, especially for a Mesa Boogie, all except for the 5-position "MULTI-WATT" switch? Heck, there's not even the typical switches/knobs for choosing level and series/parallel operation for the effects loop!

And FWIW, I have a nice, combo sized ANVIL flight case that has served me well for many years!

Thanks Again & Welcome To TDPRI,
    Gene
    750-Cali6v6C_detail4.jpg 750-Cali6v6C_detail3.jpg

Jwalker99 and powerwagonjohn like this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

6. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    I think my Mark I combo (I bought it new in late 70s and still have it) with the EVM12 probably weighs close to 70 lbs.
    I've owned some other Boogies and always bought them as a head, not a combo. I usually have to move my own gear so I want to make it as easy as possible.
    This amp is available as a head or a combo. Mesa makes great speaker cabinets but they aren't cheap. You get what you pay for.

The next amp I buy will be one of these. I tried one at the Mesa Store in L.A. the last time I was out there and really liked it.

Jwalker99 and Wally like this.
  7. timfred

timfred TDPRI Member

Played in a store. Great amp for clean Fender and Tweed overdrive, but if you need any Marshall-style pre-amp overdrive, you're going to need pedals.

8. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

Bad cat, you are a bad kitty . The Cali Tweed we speak if is plain and clean. Perhaps you played a triple Rectum-Fryer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

Ok so

I also want a Cali Tweed head and know a bit about them after having listened to the best video on Mesa Boogie ever. Still havent played one yet.

The Cali Tweed is their to a simple to control amp. The magic is the simple attenuator switch actually disables certain tubes so that you end up playing a Bandmaster at full power, and as you dial the switch down, a Pro, Deluxe, P Princeton and then Champ.

To hear more about this check out this video w mesa Founder Randall Smith , who makes it clear to me that he is an amp genius and probably a regular genius too. his life story makes perfect sense when viewed in retrospect.

Towards the end of this long video, he talks about the new Cali Tweed and the Fillmore.

10. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

Great quote on amps

“How can you know when you have arrived if you dont know where you are going.”

11. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Waypoints of life !!!!

12. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I have no direct knowledge of the Mesa CT, but as a multiple Mesa owner, I would say buy it with confidence after you demo one and it has the sound you're after. They stand behind their products. The multiple watt format is a real plus.

Good Luck !!

Jwalker99 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.