1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Merle Haggard - RIP

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jlrich, Apr 6, 2016.

1. jonsongz

jonsongz Tele-Meister

I consider myself a rational and mostly pragmatic man. But Merle Haggard's voice could always make me shed a tear. He made his songs sound beautiful and tragic and true. RIP sir.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Kinda wordless, but going to make it a point to spend some time listening to him tonight (along with many fellow tdpri'rs).

TeleTown likes this.
  3. blkpwdr

blkpwdr Tele-Meister

Oh no this is awful,may he RIP,can't say enough on what his music did for me

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  4. Z-Man

Z-Man TDPRI Member

That'd been pretty good

5. Jay Isler

Jay Isler Tele-Meister

He was the greatest. Rest well Merle.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Merle was Americana, California Style!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Merle really was the common man. I've told this story before but it bears telling again. Many years ago my wife and I had been visiting her dad every evening at the hospital after I finished work. One night we barged right on into his room as we had been doing every evening. Only problem was there was a stranger lying in the bed we expected to find my FIL in. We said excuse me, and turned and started walking out, like the Farnsey twins, we did a double take and turned around to find Merle grinning at us. Yep, it's me he said. He was gracious, and kind to a couple of rubber necked prune pickers who had barged in on him uninvited.

He visited with us for a bit, and explained that he was traveling over seas and had to get a check up and some shots before leaving and that they had apparently bumped my FIL to another room, (which we eventually located). We didn't have sense enough to ask him for an autograph, since he seemed as common as we were. I once loaned a Martin D-18 to a local drummer that took it out to Merle's when he lived out by the river, and they used it on some recordings, but I don't know what, or even if they were successful. Merle liked the guitar, and wanted to buy it, or buy me a D-28 (I should have taken him up on that). I didn't want to sell it, and eventually got it back. Jelly Sanders used to be a local fiddler, and him and his son drove end dump diesel trucks, the son played music, and they were very well acquainted with Merle.

My son who is now passed ran around with Billy Woods', son when he was going to school another friend of Merle's. Billy liked Merle so much he named one of his kids Merle, fortunately one of his boys. :D Billy's daughter was a good friend of my Son's who came to see him during his last days. There are many more Merle stories scattered out over our family. My wife's yournger brother got to know Benny, Merle's son and guitar player very well a few yeas back. The last time he was through town we saw Merle and the Strangers at the Fox, and he was in exceptional form that night. I'm so glad the last time we saw him he was on a roll.

A heartfelt goodbye from one those people you wrote about in your songs, one of the common men.

TD

Dan R, Paul in Colorado and stnmtthw like this.
  9. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I got to see him a couple of years ago, and I'm so glad I did. It's funny how the music of a man I never really met had such an influence in my life.

Rest easy, Merle. God bless you.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The last time we saw Merle, my daughter-in-law bought us tickets for Merle's show in the spring the Christmas before hand. It was a cool gift that we enjoyed very much, and I'll bet your folks enjoyed their show just as much as we did.

11. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

RIP Merle - you really made some great music.

12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Didn't find out about this until this evening on the news. What a legacy he has left us with. Such a positive example of turning ones life around. RIP

13. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Amen!

14. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

Awwww....crap. RIP, Merle.

You always stayed true.........

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

It had to happen but it is still sad to me. RIP Merle.

16. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

I got the honor of shaking his hand and getting an autograph (along with red volkart) in Denver Colorado at the grizzly rose. Seen a few concerts, he has been my favorite since I was a kid. Amazing song writer. Sad day for sure

Attached Files:

17. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Was having dinner with my folks, and this came on the news. Second song they played was Oakie from Muskogee, and I was singing along. My 8 year old mother looks at me and says "I always thought oakies were people who made oak barrels?"

Another famous tele player goes to the great gig in the sky.

18. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

The other night, my wife and I were watching the popfest that was the ACM awards, I looked at her and said, "somewhere...Merle Haggard is having a stroke"... talk about irony...

19. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

Marty Stuart will be officiating the funeral.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

It is a very sad day :(

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.