1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Merle Haggard calls contemporary country music 'a bunch of crap'

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by HotRodSteve, Sep 9, 2015.

1. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I respect Merle, and when I list country music artists that I respect, he is towards the top of the list, in the top 10 at the very least.

I do think he should qualify his statement: MOST of today's country music sucks. That's because, like rap and punk, it's been coopted by the music industry machine and pop music. But there are still a few artists who break the mold: Brad Paisley (sort of, maybe I just cut him some slack cuz he can pick that geetar), Marty Stuart, Kenny Vaughan, and there are others that I can't think of.

So, yes, while 97% of what we see on the CMA's is junk food, there are some artists who are "keepin it real country."

2. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

Yup, mostly for women and kids.Its forced on me by my camp neighbors,they all love it.., ,In turn I will force feed them heavy doses of Van Halen And Zep...hehe

3. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

More old men yelling at clouds

I rather enjoy the sound of old men yelling at clouds. To me it's much more appealing than the sound of young men singing songs with content that has less substance than clouds.

I play lots of different stuff with different acts. I play some old school country, Americana, punkabilly, among other things, with a couple of acts. With one act, I do a fair amount of modern top 40 'country'. It pays pretty well. I smile and nod, and like at any show that I work, what the room sees from me is a guy that loves what he's doing. Anything less is something other than doing the job.

A good friend of mine has written, co-written, produced, and/or co-produced some of the biggest chart toppers in Nashville over the last thirty years or so. He has made bazillions of dollars. He will never have to work another day in his life, ever again. His newest project is a school for songwriting.

I am not at work right now. I don't have to smile and nod. I'm on a public internet forum. As long as I stay within the guidelines of said internet forum, I can say whatever I'd like.

I'm generally not a fan of sweeping generalizations. I'll make an exception in this case. I agree with Merle Haggard. I think it's Crap. With a capital C.

4. JLC78TELE

JLC78TELE Tele-Meister

I bet it would sound like this.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ

5. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Perhaps your camp neighbors would like some Motörhead? :twisted:

6. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

While I can't speak for Merle, I don't think he's talking about those artists. I interpreted his comments to be directed at the new "country" that sounds like pop / hip-hop with a southern drawl and an occasional fiddle for "authenticity."

7. JLC78TELE

JLC78TELE Tele-Meister

I bet it would sound like this.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ

8. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

There's an irony there, the virtues and mores that Country music stood for have become a camp joke to many. I'd bet that Tammy Wynette is a gay icon. Merle? Not so sure.

9. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Do people still listen to radio these days?

At home I listen to CDs/downloaded music and Spotify.

In the car I listen to CDs/downloaded music.

If I don't like what I hear,I move on.

10. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

There's a phenomenon that happens with music, somehow people remember the songs from their past that touched them and made them feel good. Those are the songs that they made an effort to go out and buy the record of, and they played the songs, put it on mix tapes, and even today may still have the album or recording of it and still listen to it. What they forget is all the lame cheesy songs that were on the radio at the same time of that one song they loved.

How many remember the Merle Haggard song "Fightin' Side Of Me"?? Number 1 hit song for March 1970.. Now how many remember the song that knocked it out of the number 1 spot and became the number 1 song in the nation for April 1970?
    Here take a listen and see if you remember this big hit that knocked Merle off the charts:

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's what I took him to mean as well.

I feel like you must look at the Totality of all the remarks Merle has made over a very long career. And if he says he wasn't personally bowled over with Cash's style, he IMO more than recovers by recounting how Johnny held those tough men in the palm of his hand, and without a proper ability to sing.

I'd rather be known for my ability of hold sway over and entertain crowds with force of will and personality than with my stylings. IMO you need to look at each statement as a counterpoint to the previous or earlier statements in the interview. This is not black and white, and once you been around as long as Merle you understand this and it is our opportunity if we so choose to concentrate on the Wisdom and stop trying to cross examine the guy.

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Remember, that this is the the man who thought the Rolling Stones were light weights and that Gram Parsons was a "type of cat" (that shows up as *****).

I still love him.

13. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

How about Pumpkin-Rolling Puke?

14. bobsway

bobsway Tele-Afflicted

Hey, alot of us here lived thru disco, 80's hair metal, rap, Britney Spears, etc.
    We will get thru this.
    Somehow...

15. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

I'll disagree that Mr Haggard's (I call him Mr and sir to his face out of respect, not because he's (just barely) older than I am) thoughts are a generalization. I understand exactly what he means simply because I've followed along with him for so long that I can almost complete a sentence for him.

He's referring to (and I'm just picking a couple from many choices here but not intending to slam anyone) young folks like Taylor Swift and Luke Bryan.

The first time I heard her I said to my wife, "This girl can't sing a lick (which she herself admits) and she sings songs about high school". Bryan singing Oh my God, that's my song and she was like and I'm like and we were all like...What the hell kind of country lyrics are those?

He probably appreciates a good 'ol Toby Keith drinkin' song as much as the rest of us who follow and play country so he wasn't referring to him, for example. A handful of others that I know he wasn't including so I not only get what he said...I agree with him.

Radio? Yeah...I turned on the radio on my new truck the day I drove it off the lot and it's never been turned off since. Sirius Prime, Outlaw and Roadhouse country...

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Or this:

Gurl... Gurl... Gurl... Gurl...

17. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin TDPRI Member

18. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

I'm with Merle all the way.

19. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Every generation criticizes the previous for not upholding tradition and watering down purity. So what else is new? Merle himself was a rebel against what was considered sacred.
    He above all should at least recognize everything runs its course. Sorry Mr. Haggard, but a lot of people thought what you were doing was crap at the time you did it.

20. barricwiley

barricwiley TDPRI Member

Merle,
    George,
    Waylon,
    Cash,
    Robbins,
    Williams,
    Nelson
    Luther

There ARE no replacements.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.