'Merican English and English English

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telefunken, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

No, you're wrong mate, head is Aussie not Kiwi

2. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

Because the Kebab shops are the only food places open when the Pubs close.

Punters.

3. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

North Island mate, you have a more Scottish lisp down there...I'll give yah "hud" though ;)

4. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Internalise an Aussie accent for a moment while you read that. He's right.

5. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Im in calif and i bring this up regularly with people having different accents. Which accent would be the "proper" pronunciation? England because they were first? Which english accent? Midwest because its plain and folksy? Ca because its such a melting pot we eventually stripped out regional sound. Or does west coast seem accentless because of the huge influence of hollywood? Most people so far agree Californians are the ones without accents.

6. Big John

Big John RIP

Nope, nope, nope, NO !!
    jefrs, you are a man of high wit and erudition, easy to love and a half decent guitar player to boot but ... Keep saying that wont make it true you know !!
    Suffolk born, bred and proud of it and still never seen this mythical area of which you speak.
    Of course, to make it doubly annoying now I'm camped out here in Tx ..... everyone thinks I'm from Australia :)
    Grrrrr

And I can't say 'pawn shop' without ladies fainting :)

7. 4string

4string Friend of Leo's

I have noticed some parts of CA starting to have a pronounced "Spanglish" accent. The kids anyway.

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Aussie lends itself to cockney rhyming slang,,, and sailors talk ....;)

and the amount of flies, out west.!..

. you need to talk with your mouth closed out there.... and say few words.... as any deep inbreath after a long tirade will often suck in a few flies.... ;)

9. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

'kin oath, mate.

10. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Oh, the irony...

I grew up in Perth W.A. during the 60s/70s, when we had an influx of assisted passage migrants from England-- the famed "10 pound tourists".
    (I imagine those who grew up during the same period in Adelaide had a similar experience.)

More than half the kids at my primary school were born in England, so Pommy accents were the norm rather than the exception in my suburb.
    Brummies and Londoners, Mancs and Geordies, West Country and Zummerzet. (My first girlfriend was from Gloucestershire:D)
    So it was inevitable that I would pick up bits and pieces of the accents swirling around us.

When I came to Melbourne during the 80s, people always asked me where in England I came from.
    Including a workmate, who hailed from Oxford:eek:

I'd tell them "the Far South-Eastern Counties"...

11. Big John

Big John RIP

Ha, and I went to school with kids from all the US bases in our area !

12. yark14

yark14 Friend of Leo's

Here in 'merica we're too busy herding cattle and inventing freedom to learn to speak properly.

13. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always suspected the Magna Carta was written by an American. :D

14. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

many years ago, as a young, intelligent and smart 16 year old :)roll:) I went on a 3 week sightseeing trip with my stepfather (had to sell my Tamiya RC offroaderto fund it). We went to Hawai, San Francisco, LA, Vegas and did all the sights (I was very lucky).

During our travels I would constantly get asked if I was from England...no, Australia ?...no Oh where then....At the time I was complaining saying how we sound nothing like them and eventually found it frustrating....(I know 16 right!)

On the final day of our trip I was waiting in the airport by myself for my stepfather to meet me (he had gone to Graceland by himself as we ran out of money, I spent a lovely 3 days staying in Santa Monica wandering around)...only to meet a lovely gentleman in the bar/waiting area of the airport we ahd a chat for quite a while about each others trip.

We got to chatting and I asked him where he was from, England? he said no....I said oh your Australian then...no, Turns out he was a Kiwi (NZ'er) and I was so embarrassed!

Ever since I have tried to be tolerant of accents and find the humour in the vast range.

15. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

I went back to Scotland after 5 years in NZ, and after landing at the airport I was unsure of where to pick up my luggage, so I spotted a group of air hostesses in their British Caledonia uniforms. Never one to pass up a chance to speak to pretty ladies, I asked where the baggage collection was...they immediately turned into a bunch of Billy Connoly's...POP!!

16. barncat

barncat Tele-Holic

I've heard people from New York City and Long Island pronounce vodka as "vodker". I always thought that since they don't pronounce the Rs in words that actually have them, (pronouncing dinner as "dinna"), they have to add an R to words like vodka just to make the distinction. People from Eastern Europe also sometimes pronounce well as "vell" and village as "willage".

17. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

My mom says, 'warsh' meaning wash. She says 'futher' meaning further. She says Deet-cember meaning December. She's from the south.

I've heard a number of Brits say, 'ar-ree- er' meaning 'area'

I mimic these words in my speech because I think it's comical.
    we should send people, trying to learn English, dialogue tapes with really thick accents from different regions of the U.S. like heavy New York accent or a heavy southern accent. It would be quite entertaining to meet a young Asian woman and she talks like Ellie Mae Clampett.

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Does anybody actually speak like Gomer Pyle?

Weelll golll - eeee...;)

19. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

i never understood british people putting apostrophes where they don't belong.

20. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

No, we fixed it and you still spell it incorrectly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.