1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mental Health

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P Thought, Sep 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chandlerman

Chandlerman TDPRI Member

Schizoid Personality Disorder made my life extremely difficult until I retired. Having to constantly be in contact with humans because of school and work caused severe chronic depression. I lived like that for decades. I'm lucky to have survived. Now I generally have the freedom to pick and choose who I have around me and I see people only when I feel like seeing them. Life is very good. And I was already living in quarantine pretty much so the current situation hasn't affected me like it has you "normal" people.

2. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

It is real. It can be clinical. It is a spectrum and there is little that is 'black and white'. When you are dealing with it, you won't know. If someone in your immediate family has it, you likely won't notice until things have become unbearable and someone on the outside looking in says something.

It is everyone's responsibility to help, but many times, there are few that want to help, and more that are willing to turn a blind eye and or enable it to continue. Most don't know how to help.

It is horrible.

JL_LI, PhredE and P Thought like this.
  3. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think a lot of us, myself included, have a tendency to do an hour or two of research on a subject and consider ourselves to be as educated as people who have spent years and years focused on the subject.

If at all possible, I like to defer to a professional. Not everyone with an opinion qualifies.

Harry Styron, elihu and P Thought like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I think I understand what you're saying, but I must respectfully point out a real flaw there. Many mentally ill or dysfunctional people do not NOT feel OK. They often think they are fully OK, and the problems exist with OTHER people. Many people with issues like Manic Depression DON'T want to change, because the thrill of the "highs" far outweigh the "lows".
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the mistakes society began making in the 1960s and 1970s when, in a well meaning intention, we began emptying the mental institutions in an attempt to recognize the rights and best interests of people with mental issues. Rather than dealing with mental problems in a humane and rational way, we "cheaped out" and dumped them on the streets to deal with their problems on their own. In too many ways, we have failed ourselves.

5. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The word "bedlam" comes from a famous old mental institution, and some aspects of those institutions really were inhumane. "Dumped on the streets" should never have been the solution.

6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely right and I tried to acknowledge this before I started on my tangent.

P Thought and teletail like this.
  7. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I must be having one of the days. :D

P Thought, rangercaster and elihu like this.
  8. elihu

The final straw came in the 1990’s here in America when they changed the Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement laws for inpatient Psych treatment- that was when many impatient facilities closed their doors.

9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Are you talking to me ?

Sorry, it was the cat ..

Nevermind ..

P Thought and Fiesta Red like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I think as long as the person can get along in life, and not harm others or himself, maybe that's all some people can get out of life. When I was hauling heavy equipment, some of the crew had to visit a phycologist, not a psychiatrist, to evaluate our ability to handle stress. This was after I had been doing the job for several years. We didn't get off to a good start because he kept me waiting for forty five minutes on the appointment. Not as part of the stress handling test, HE FORGOT the appointment! Then he asked me if I saw things other people didn't. I said sure. He asked me to describe the demons I saw? I asked him what the hell are you talking about? I see things like a low tire on a road grader I'm fixing to haul, that should have been caught when it was serviced. I see a truck running beside me slinging a cap, and I'd better either get in front of him or behind him because if the tire blows I don't want to be next to it. Sheesh. That guy was as full of sh*t as a Christmas turkey. After a bit, I told him this isn't going well, if you go ahead and just write pass on this here piece of paper, I can be playing golf in an hour. He did, I did, and it was all good.

11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

...I’ve worked in some of those facilities (Plant Operations, Safety Officer, Environment of Care Director).

MOST of them should be forced to close. 75-80% are nasty, disgusting, money-making facilities and nothing more...nothing to do with actual mental health, unfortunately.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  12. nojazzhere

Bedlam.....slang term for St Mary's of Bethlehem, the famed London mental institution you refer to.
    In the 70's I wrote a pretentious song cycle with Bedlam as the central theme. There was also an old Boris Karloff film called Bedlam. (1946)

JL_LI and P Thought like this.
  13. elihu

wrathfuldeity and P Thought like this.
  14. elihu

You’ve got a point. But in hindsight wouldn’t it have been better to work for improvement of said facilities as opposed to closing them down and gaining a whole bunch of street people?

Nursing homes share a lot of similar problems but I didn’t see most of them go out of business in a few short years.

nojazzhere and P Thought like this.
  15. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I didn't know that. Thanks! (Dickens and them just called it "Bedlam".)

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

That's exactly what I was referring to when I said we as a society "cheaped-out", and took the lazy path to dealing with the mental patients. It costs money to "do the right thing" sometimes.
    Unfortunately, too many nursing home facilities fly under the radar and out of the spotlight. Much funding for nursing homes comes from Medicaid. (Federal funds) Most mental institutions get funding from their respective states......and roads and crime get the big focus for tax dollars.

17. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Recent NIH on mental health:

P Thought and DjimiWrey like this.
  18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I agree that people with such issues should not be thrown out into the street—but the standards of these facilities should be raised and enforced to the point that the BAD facilities either become useful or gone...and the owners/operators should be imprisoned.

19. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

i hope you find your way out of any pain your in

P Thought likes this.
  20. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

As a retired mental health professional, I think this was well said. The OP's questions are a bit too broad or expansive. If someone has questions about these issues, please call the local mental health department in your area, visit with your PCP, or call NAMI. There are far too many disorders in the DSM V to handle in one guitar forum question. The time to contact an emergency room, or the police, can be confusing. However, if someone is a danger to themselves or others, that is the time to get immediate help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.