1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Men Only?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Frisco 57, Jan 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

In the course of my military career, due to the sorts of things that I specialized in, I’ve been all over the world. I’ve spent time on every continent but Antarctica.

After years of observing what goes on in this world, one thing that I can tell you is that women get the short end of the stick on this planet, consistently. It varies in degree, ranging from unfair to absolutely appalling, but it is always the case.

That bothered me. There are a lot of things that haunt me, things that I wish I could unsee. But they were one time occurrences. The way women get treated in this world is an ongoing thing.

When I was active duty, before being disabled in the line of duty and medically retired, I would occasionally overhear my troops having a discussion about how awful women are. I’d listen for awhile, astonished at the crap I was hearing, and when I got tired of it I’d walk in and ask them, “Would you idiots prefer to live in a world where there are no women?”

They were shocked at the idea, and very quick to assure me that no, they wouldn’t want that. Hopefully, it provided at least some of them with food for thought.

mad dog, telemnemonics, AAT65 and 6 others like this.
  2. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Strat-Talk does have a Female Moderator ... she is also a TDPRI member :)

Obsessed likes this.
  3. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

This is true
    , but there are quite a few discussions that most of us have little interest in. I for one have been building more acoustics lately. Some have been here a long time and our equipment bears little resemblance to today's digital fads, so we really don;t have a whole lot to say.

tery likes this.
  4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I really like the anonymity of the internet. A good idea is a good idea. A good player is a good player, a good builder a good builder, etc.

At the same time, I also really like the idea of men's and women's clubs. There's nothing whatsoever wrong with free association -- in a free country, that is.

A lot of clubs are off the radar, like the guys who shoot pheasant down the road. Trout fishermen out west of me. Women's book clubs in town. Hell, I've even heard people drink Fine Wine together over zoom or whatever.

More of these kinds of things in-person would be good, once the lockdowns are over.

The more the merrier.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  5. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think we have many more male members but that I think that is a reflection of the historical gender split in the hobby not the site. The mods keep this as a welcoming place for all genders, ages, backgrounds and belief and that’s what makes this such a good community.

I don’t think we can deny hobbies tended to be gender-split a little more in the past but hopefully that continues to change and I’m sure the demographics on the site will do too.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 And we must thank the moderators for keeping this site welcoming for our guitar sisters.

FenderGyrl, Frisco 57, AAT65 and 3 others like this.
  7. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Simple answer is no.

But mansplain away. That should help. :D

AAT65, Matthias and BorderRadio like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Toto posted a lot on this site, and he was a dog. (well a little human dressed up in a dog suit)

FenderGyrl and AAT65 like this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Besides, my granddaughter might be rockin' this forum some day, so you guys better behave and be prepared: IMG_4104.JPG

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Sometimes I wonder why we don’t have more female membership. Then I just look around the forum a bit and remember “Oh. That’s why.”

FenderGyrl, PeterUK, Obsessed and 7 others like this.
  11. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

I support feminism because I think people ought not be discriminated against or mocked or dimissed because of gender. When I was younger, I was very active in this area. I ran meetings, spoke on radio and TV and so on. I started a feminist club where I worked and established the first gay/straight alliance in the state. I'm a libertarian, and so freedom, both to and from, is my summum bonum.

I do expect the same consideration as a man. This is about equality, not about childish gender-based, ideologically-blinded disparagement of either gender. Abandoning that principled understanding of the matter leaves us only with interminable unilateral, melodramatic whining about victimhood, and conduces to less understanding between the genders, to unnecessarily adversarial blowhardism, which is a waste of everybody's time and a distraction from actually important matters.

Jakedog, Obsessed and drmordo like this.
  12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Rule #12.

Never ever forget Rule #12.

If you do--you may end up with a story you can never tell to your grandkids.

[​IMG]

FenderGyrl likes this.
  13. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

LOL, is this intended to be funny?

14. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    There is no way this thread will not go off the rails.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
    No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread closed

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.