Memphis Road Trip - help me out, need info!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ruger9, Mar 24, 2012.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

OK, last year the wife & I went to nashville... LOVED it. So this year we are thinking of going to Memphis. Fill me in!!

-weather in late June (I have a feeling we're talking hot, humid, & sticky?... but will it matter if we're bouncing from club to club? Not sure if we'll be in air conditioning much, because I don't know what there is to do there...)

-Sun, Graceland, crossroads, the Blues Museum in Mississippi... WHAT ELSE???

We'd be flying in & renting a car, as far as nightlife goes we'd like to be within walking distance of most of the music (if possible), since we both want to be able to drink.

Any & all info appreciated!!

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You had better plan for Graceland, it takes quite a while to do the whole tour thing, we've been there twice, and enjoyed it both times. Worth the trip.

3. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Rock and Soul Museum...and just across the street, the Gibson factory where you can take a tour... the Stax Museum...the Pyramid...

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I visited Graceland once just after Elvis's birthday, there were teddy bears everywhere from all over the world. You can't help but be deeply affected when you stand at the grave site of Elvis, his dad, his mother, and his brother. Seeing the final resting place of someone who brought such change to the landscape of not only music, but culture itself. The memories of his movies, the times you've seen him on TV, the things you've read, the times you heard him on recordings and the airwaves all come rushing back, it's a very strange experience.

5. jeremypodom

jeremypodom Tele-Afflicted

I go to school right next to downtown memphis. I haven't taken a lot of time to explore the attractions of the city but I can warn you of this;

If you're white, more so for women than men, do not go walking by yourself. The population of Memphis is predominantly black and the poverty is pretty bad in a lot of it too, so white people tend to stick out and get targeted. The homeless people here can be especially aggressive and a little crazy at times, they're very bold in approaching complete strangers and even trying to start entire unwanted conversations. There have been several attempted abductions on the girls at my school over the past year because they went walking downtown by themselves.

I don't mean to sound racist or anything, I'm just letting you know... it's not racist if it's the reality of Memphis. The midtown/downtown Memphis area can be very sketchy at times.

As far as weather, the heat index in the summer can easily get over 100 degrees. It's extremely humid here, on account of being by the mississippi river.

6. jeremypodom

Also, my parents just came down here a few weeks ago for their 25th anniversary. They really enjoyed it and did some research to find out some of the better tourist attractions. If you PM me I can give you their email so you can ask them.

7. TELEkinetic

TELEkinetic Tele-Holic

This.............Heed it!

8. TELEkinetic

TELEkinetic Tele-Holic

9. freshmattyp

freshmattyp Tele-Afflicted

Make time for the Stax Museum also, well worth it.

10. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

Graceland is a must, takes a few hours, but you truly can't describe it. I do not consider myself an Elvis fan, but the aura of his house is one of the coolest tours I've ever experienced. Rendezvous ribs is walking distance from Beale Street. So is the Lorainne Motel where MLK was assassinated, which now houses the national civil rights museum. The Gibson hollowbody factory is one block off of Beale. The Peabody Hotel, where the ducks walk down a red carpet and swim in the lobby fountain is also walking distance from Beale. Beale Street's reputation pretty much explains itself, though the afternoons/nights there's usually a lot of good live music to be had. Sun Studios is a little further away but neat to see. St. Louis Cardinals AAA affiliate Memphis Redbirds' stadium is also walking distance from Beale, and should be in season by the time you visit. As others have said, be on watch for seedy areas around Memphis, I believe it spent a long time as the #1 city in America for violent crime. Check jambase.com Memphis listings to see if there is any good shows while you are in town since there are a number of local venues that tend to get good acts. I'm an hour south and visit Memphis frequently, mostly as a tourist, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

My recommendation is to find out what things aren't near Beale, plan on doing those, then spend a day in the downtown area around Beale hopping around those attractions on foot.

11. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

The Gibson factory tour is a lot more interesting on a weekday when they're working. Otherwise, it's kind of a still-life. Beale Street was a lot of fun, very much a street scene like Bourbon St. in NO. The Peabody ducks are good, free fun, and by all means prepare for BBQ. Rendezvous, Interstate and whatever else you stumble onto.

And don't ask me why, just trust me... don't rub your face in the shag carpet going up to the Jungle Room at Graceland. Just don't.

12. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

13. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 ! Plus get some BBQ @ Blues City Cafe and a burger @ Dyer's ( patties fried in 60 year-old grease, mmmmh ) :D
    My favorite thing to do in Memphis : cruise late at night on Union while listening to "Blue Moon" by Elvis.
    SUN Studio is an absolute must too. One of the thousands of stories is that Bob Dylan once jumped out of a limo in front of SUN and hurried inside just to kiss the X that marks the spot where Elvis used to stand...
    My personal SUN story : I was hangin out @ the cafe next door talking to the the girl @ the counter, a young lady named Planet Swan ( Billy's daughter ). All of a sudden, the phone rings, she answers and after a couple of minutes' worth of chatter, she hangs up and says "That was dad." :D

14. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

jeremy,

Thanks for that post. The more digging I do, the more wary I am of the safety level. If I was going alone, it wouldn't matter. But my wife is going with me... so it's at least a little concerning. Maybe this particular "pilgrimage" is one I need to do with another, male, musician, as opposed to a 10th Anniversary trip with my wife.

FWIW, we didn't feel unsafe in Nashville at any time. Even walking the 3 blocks back to the Marriott from Broadway... we just never felt unsafe. It was quite nice.

15. jeremypodom

It shouldn't be a problem with the two of you. My parents spent several days here and I've been here over a year and neither of us encountered trouble, just some weird people. You just need to be on guard for when people may approach you, and it will happen. Many people just walk around here and seem a little off their rocker (or on a lot of substances).

16. majorbugout

majorbugout Tele-Meister

I went there last year. Sun Studios is a spiritual experience. I expected it to be a tourist trap but when I came down the the stairs into the front office I got all choked up and teary eyed. We also did the Rock and Soul Museum, the Gibson factory tour and had BBQ on Beal Street.

17. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just down from Sun studios on the left is St. Blues Guitars. Weekdays not too busy and you can spend a bit of time playing some nice guitars and boutique amps. They stopped importing a year ago, so the choices might be limited. Back to building custom guitars.

http://www.saintblues.com/

The Banana bread desert at BB Kings is worth a trip all by itself. The club is not as nice as Nashville's but food is better (IMO) and being on Beale street adds to it. If you are into blues, stop by the record store on Beale and pick up a Clyde Hopkins CD and get him to sign it. He usually sits by the door.

Hot and humid in June.

18. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

This, and there is a Sweet Potato Puffs appetizer with a honey dipping sauce that will make your trip worthwhile. Actually, just about anywhere decent in Memphis you won't be missing out on good food.

19. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

You could cruse on down to Meridian, and take in the Peavey Musuem, it's kind of cool in a funky way. The Opry museum in Nashville has Patsy Clines club room, and Marty Stewart' s
    Stock car. PV has Hartleys first table saw and econoline delivery van..:lol:

The Memphis minor league BB team has a nice stadium right downtown.

20. dmarg1045

dmarg1045 Friend of Leo's

I was having lunch last week in Nashville with a bunch of strangers (I was dining at Monell's, which serves family style), and a woman at the table was from Memphis. She mentioned Central Barbecue as being the best in Memphis in her opinion. I ate at a couple of BBQ joints when we were in Memphis years ago, but don't remember their names. Also, neither one of us cared for the Mississippi River boat trip that we took. I wish that we had gone to Sun or Stax instead.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.