MEMPHIANS can you help?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cat, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Cat

Cat Tele-Meister

Hey there, a few of you might know from my posts here before that I am planning to come to Memphis from Australia for a visit about half way through next year. Now, as I will be staying for an extended period of time on a college students type money :) I am looking at getting a holiday rental. As with all cities there are the good parts and the bad parts. To help me with my search I was wondering if there were any Memphians out there who could tell me any bad neighbourhoods/suburbs I should be avioding? Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated. Ive been planning this trip for a while now and its finally starting to feel real. Hope you can help. Thanks guys,

Cat

2. sticko

sticko Tele-Meister

They don't call it the Bluff City for nothin'
    You could try in some areas by the University of Memphis. Lots of student type dwellings there.
    Cooper Young is a bit of a hipster neighborhood that's getting a but pricey as well as a little sketchy on the crime side but worth looking into.
    How long do you plan to stay? Are you looking for a domicle of your own, or just a place to crash?
    You might post your same question on the Memphis section of the Goner Board. This is a forum started by Goner records, a store here in town. It leans a little less toward the country/older/classic rock than here, and more toward the indie/punk/DIY scene, but folks are good at hooking up out of towners.

3. Cat

Cat Tele-Meister

Hey thanks sticko. I am planning on staying for about 6 months which is usually the smallest lease term you can get a studio or small apartment for. I just want to steer clear of bad neighbourhoods as much as possible and being a total newbie to Memphis I have no idea where I should be looking. There seems to be plenty of places up for grabs so Ill just keep looking and keep talking to locals.

Cat

4. TELEkinetic

TELEkinetic Tele-Holic

Born and raised there....

...but choose to no longer live there. It is still in my work territory. Crime has gotten pretty prevelent in Memphis and you are smart to inquire from the locals. Price wise Sticko is correct around the U of M. I lived there for many years when it was still MSU.

Use the following boundaries as a guideline.

Highland on the west
    Summer on the north
    Park on the south
    East as far as you are willing to travel into town.

Search hard and you will find something hidden in all of those trees......

Good Luck

5. sticko

sticko Tele-Meister

They don't call it the Bluff City for nothin'
    Your best bet would be finding a place in what's known as Midtown. That's kind of where things are going on. there and downtown which is about five minutes west toward the river. One thing about Memphis, the cost of living in comparatively cheap. I don't know how any kind of exchange rate will effect you, but it is one of the cheaper places to live in the States.

I don't know if they will list by name, but some of the more notoriously bad neighborhoods are Orange Mound, Hickory Hill, and most of south Memphis. It's not that they're aren't good people there, it just can be a bit scary sometimes.
    Frayser, Bartlett, and Raleigh are not so much neighborhoods, but smaller cities within Memphis. They get bagged on quite a bit and are kind of out of the way of the more typical "Memphis" experience.

6. Cat

Cat Tele-Meister

Thanks guys Im getting some good info now. I dont want to bag out on the people of Memphis or anything its just like with all big cities you have your good parts and your bad parts. Ive also gotta think of transport, as I havent got a car over there I dont want to be too far out of the city. You are right that accommodation is relatively cheap. There are some downtown studios and apartments with great veiws of the city that go for like $400 per month which really isnt that bad at all. Anyhow I appreciate your help guys, the research continues...

Cat

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Tele-Holic

Memphis without a car? Whew, boy...

I'd suggest the Midtown/University of Memphis area, as close to Union west of East Parkway and Poplar Ave east of East Parkway as you can find, as Union and Poplar are the major bus routes and there are no taxis outside of downtown/the airport.

In the Midtown and U of M areas you can get around easily on a bicycle, but don't expect to go downtown on a bike easily or safely.

8. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

Without a car, you would be best to look in Midtown or Downtown where more transportation is available.

There is a bus system, but be aware that is primarily used only by those unable to afford cars. The bus system does run over most of the city, but late night routes are scarce and some of the major suburbs get no bus service at all.

Downtown and parts of midtown get Trolley service, and that's an emerging system. I've only rode it a few times, but IMO it seemed a bit nicer and easier than the buses. The downtown trolleys run fairly late.

Both the buses and the trolley are run by MATA. Their website is :

Memphis Area Transit Authority

Taxis are not widely used and are overpriced.

Most of your music oriented clubs are in Midtown or Downtown. You should be in good shape there.

The only question is employment. If you are planning to work, you may have to work in another part of the city (depending on what you do).

9. Cat

Cat Tele-Meister

Hey first off thanks for all your help guys I appreciate it.

Yeah Ive decided to look in the downtown and midtown areas and there seems to be a fair amount of accomodation available. I may end up having to sort out some type of personal transport, they say you dont forget how to ride a bike but Im not so sure :), anyhow Im continuing to read up on Memphis and decide all the things I want to do while Im there.
    On the employment front I might have to try make a few contacts closer to when Im going and see what becomes available. I wouldnt be too worried what sort of work I get because it would only be so that I have some extra cash while Im there (maybe Gibson is hiring :) Ooooh thats a dirty word, I take it back).

Thanks again guys, the saga continues.

Cat

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.