1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Memory Loss - Age Related

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Lost_N_Austin, Apr 15, 2021.

1. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe we should all be eating jellyfish

Chicago Matt and LutherBurger like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

A guy with too many wrist watches never knows for sure what time it is. That's all I got.

DaphneBlue and BelairPlayer like this.
  3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

On a positive note he didn't add a gig bag in the deal. Otherwise you might not have found the other guitar.

SRHmusic, TigerG and ooglybong like this.
  4. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Self test: I have around 25 guitars right now. I just looked at them all and can remember where they came from.

SRHmusic likes this.
  5. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

While this guitar purchase was sort of blocked out for a while it really isn’t a life changing moment I don’t think.

Years ago in between a couple of semesters of College I worked for a Chevrolet Dealership in a very stressful position. I was the dispatcher in the Service Department. It was my job to process all of the service drive tickets and doled out the variable repair or service requirements from all the customers dropping off their vehicles and route them through Tuneup, grease rack, detail or whatever- then arrange to have the vehicle ready by 5:00 and sometimes arrange to have the customer picked up from there work at a specific time.

Even if things went well I ‘Relived’ the day’s events in my tortured attempt at Sleep. Then start over the next day all over again.

I had to teach myself to remember what I had to remember - but turn loose of what had already transpired. It took some doing but I survived it.

So far I haven’t forgotten anything really important- Or Have I?

Lost_N_Austin

SRHmusic likes this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Good idea. I already have the peanut butter.

...I think.

ooglybong likes this.
  7. ooglybong

ooglybong TDPRI Member

My somewhat related thing is that I've had a recurring dream the last couple of years about a really cool metallic blue solidbody I "own" (I don't recognize the make, but it's kinda Fender-is. No, OP, it's not your blue Tele! lol), and it's one that's always "stored" in a case along with my many others... and yet, in reality, I *know* that no such blue guitar exists. Still, I've had that dream enough times that it feels like I must somehow own that mystery guitar anyway! :rolleyes:

Oxidao and RobRiggs like this.
  8. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Now OP's wife has "Remember that one you had to have and then couldn't even remember it?" in her arsenal.

MarkieMark, SRHmusic and boneyguy like this.
  9. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

Another forgotten guitar purchase story:
    acquaintance ordered an Axl axe. When it arrived, it seemed very familiar to him. He went looking through his collection of guitars, and sure enough, he already had one of the very same model.

Oxidao likes this.
  10. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yes...his situation is very precarious now!!!

11. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

One morning in 1978, I woke up wearing a lime green leisure suit jacket. I had been at the Broken Spoke and the Split Rail in Austin the previous night. No idea if I ever had the leisure suit trousers, too. But I made it home with my own jeans.

12. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

BUT WHERE DOES THE MEMORY PART COME INTO PLAY!?!

13. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

At my last physical, I was given a short-term memory test. I know my memory isn't what it used to be. There could be many causes, age among them.

I scored only 19 of 20. That's because for the last question, the nurse said it was a story problem. So I kept waiting for the math and it never came. I forgot where the stockbroker's wife was from. Some story problem, not having math in it. :confused:

RobRiggs likes this.
  14. drewg

drewg Tele-Meister

...and yet your avatar is memento! I don't remember plots too well either, and I love stories. What I remember from stories (movies and books) are certain scenes, or the feeling I'm left with. I have been worried about my memory the last few years– I'm 52. But I think it's getting stronger, the last year or so. Maybe there's hope. Stress puts your mind in a fog. It does mine. I feel like I'm coping a little better than I used to.

15. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Who cares you have at least 2 teles now. If it was me I would keep looking
    you might find more. Worry about memory later. Enjoy them congratulations .

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Chicago Matt likes this.
  16. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Lost_It_N_Austin

Your suffering from what's called CRS
    Sounds serious but it simply means you Can't Remember Shxt

17. drewg

drewg Tele-Meister

"...the little tic that makes you connect to a memory gets jacked up or lost and so you cannot recall the memory unless you get a new tic or cue.'"

That's how I remember my dreams. I call them breadcrumbs. Dreams get washed away instantly by the encroaching demands of the day. But if you lie there a few moments and not let the day come rushing in, if you can remember one little breadcrumb of the the dream you can follow it back quite a ways, sometimes. They come back to you.

getbent and TigerG like this.
  18. fattybrisket

fattybrisket Tele-Meister

I am going to take a mostly serious tack on this question as someone whose Mom died of Alzheimers. I think some amount of memory loss is natural and to be expected. I also think your level of concern should be inversely related to how many guitar deals you make. If this is one of dozens, I wouldn't sweat it. If this was one of three, I would be more concerned but not panicked.

If you snore at all, get a sleep study. That might sound like a non sequitur but rats subjected to conditions that mimic sleep apnea have brain scans that look nearly identical to those of Alzheimers sufferers. Some preliminary studies out of Europe suggest a possible link between Apnea & Alzheimers.

I apologize if this is an overreaction to a lighthearted question but this is an issue I have to seriously confront on a regular basis. Keep doing stuff that makes you think of new ideas and solutions.

TigerG, Oxidao, getbent and 1 other person like this.
  19. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Every day I have some kind of memory loss. Scares the hell out of me.

20. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Actually that blue one is mine! I was wondering when you were going to sent it back to me. I can pm you my address since you probly forgot.

Edit: Just kidding! Happy double NGD. You probably have a lot of guitars for something like this to happen to you. If this happened to me I'd be freaking out but I only have 4 electrics.

Oxidao and getbent like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.