Memory Device Challenge - Fifth and Tenth Frets

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Everyone knows about Eddie and his unfortunate choice of cuisine. Do you have and similar devices for other frets, particularly five and ten?

A - Agnes
D - Doesn't
G - Go
C - Crying
E - Every
A - April

D - Did
G - Glenn
C - Choose
F - Fanta
A - And
D - Doritos

I just made these up of course. Got anything better?

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Early in my teacher career, I taught Music Appreciation at DePaul University, in Chicago. All of DePaul's students were required to have some credits in the Arts and Humanities.

One student, Debbie, was blind, but once was sighted. On the first day of class, she said that she wanted the same experience and education as everybody else. When something wasn't clear to her, she nudged a seat neighbor who straightened her out.

From my view in the front of the class, I saw this kind of quick, low-key thing often. In a loving classroom environment, there are any number of quiet, subtle clarifications, and I tried to not get involved unless necessary. We decided that everything I said in a lecture, would also be written on the board. That's basically what I did, anyway.

One class, I had laid out the every good boy does fine, representing the names of the lines ascending in treble clef. Debbie liked to keep everything on the down-low, but this time there seemed to be some very quiet confusion, which I thought needed the strong, assured hand of a teacher. What was the problem? She wanted to know where the letter t was. Huh? "Yes, every good boy does time." Yuck, yuck, I replied that if he was doing time, then he couldn't have been a good boy.

When teaching is done in an open-hearted way and the students become part of it, bingo. After class, I often waited for the train while having coffee at Ronny's Three. I would mentally run down the pros and cons of that night's class. I would replay the high points and pat myself on the back, over and over. Generally, I did not dwell on the problem areas, except to take note of them and try to fix them.

I knew that my teaching career would not allow time for teaching of this kind. It was a beautiful experience that I've always treasured.

chaosman12

Tele-Meister
I’ve used an app that speaks a note, for example, “sixth string A”, then listens. When it hears the note it calls another.

You can tell it what strings and fret ranges to focus on.

It’s called “Fret Pro Guitar Notes Trainer” on iOS.

There’s probably plenty of other apps out their too.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Boy, it's been so long I just know what the notes are, especially at the dotted frets. I guess my mnemonic is:
0=E, ... 5 = A, ... , 10 = D etc. on the first and sixth strings and I learned everything else relative to those. 🤠

Seriously though, I don't recall ever seeing such or thinking such a mnemonic would be useful. It's better just to map it in your mind and know it so there's no thinking through words. Working through the notes in the basic major, minor, and major 7th, dom. 7th, minor 7th barre chords should do it. So if anything, knowing the interval relationships on string pairs helps the most, and a little theory on chord spellings. (As a quiz or check then naming the notes across a random fret could be useful, but it's not really how most chords are made.)