1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Memories of Halloween.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My memories of Halloween are all pretty good except for one. That was after I was grown, and living with my first wife. Fall was the busiest time of year for me at that time, because I worked for an International Harvester dealer in the cotton picker shop. We were delivering, setting up, and repairing daylight 'til dark during the cotton harvest.

My ex wife had a great idea, she would get a bunch of free pumpkins, bring them home and sell them. Without my knowing it, she used my pickup truck to haul a couple of loads of pumpkins to our house, and stored them in an old out building out back which had only a dirt floor in it.

I was busy, she was busy, and she never got around to finishing up on her plan. Several months after Halloween, I happened to walk by the outbuilding and noticed a strong odor coming from it. I opened the swing open door and there lay perhaps the most disgusting sight I've ever seen of decaying pumpkins! I found it amazing that so many living things were making a home in the decaying pumpkins!

My wife said it was MY duty to clean up the mess she'd made, so I dutifully loaded up the pumpkins using a large scoop shovel. She said there were two loads of them, but I think it took three trips to haul them to the dump. I'm lucky they let me dump them there.

So,

HAPPY HALLOWEEN ONE AND ALL!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Torren61, Danb541 and String Tree like this.
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I was dressed as the professor from flubber one year and the absent minded professor another.

hmm

Torren61, Flip G and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Me & my little brother. FB_IMG_1584629617430.jpg

Torren61, Danb541, ElJay370 and 5 others like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

tubegeek likes this.
  5. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Agreed! Love that pic.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Growing up in rural Michigan, our costumes were made from grocery store paper bags. Mom had us draw on them, then she would cut holes for our head and arms.

Torren61, uriah1 and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

One year at Halloween, I rounded up pop bottles and cashed them in for their redemption value, and bought me a big old rubber devils mask! I can still remember the stink of that thing from almost seventy years ago. I think it was probably made from an old tractor tire innertube.

Torren61 likes this.
  8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That IS scary!
    I got nothin' on that.
    NOPE!!!

Torren61 and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

It wasn't as bad as the guy who came home, and found a naked man standing in his closet. When he asked the guy what he was doing in there, they guy said, "well everybody's gotta be somewhere."

johnny7, String Tree and Torren61 like this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

That’s such a beautiful story...

Torren61 and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

It kind of had a Christmassy flare to it didn't it?

Torren61 likes this.
  12. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Torren61, Rocky058 and tery like this.
  13. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

This is more weird now than it was 50+ years ago.

My friend and I used to really get into trick or treating. We decided to go to a small apartment that had just been built, and go door-to-door with more efficiency. Not many people answered the door except for one guy in his 40s or 50s. I don't remember if the door was already open, or if someone answered it. Whichever, this sleazy-looking guy was leaning back in his recliner across the room, trying to lure us inside. He was really working to get us inside the apartment. At the time, we figured he was just an old guy who wanted to hang out and play records and stuff.

We were curious and unafraid, but instantly knew that this wasn't for us. For the next 5 years, whenever we would walk past the apartments, we would remind ourselves of that situation and wondering if we were ever in danger, just standing outside the door and trying to load up on candy. I can still remember this jolly, scheming weirdo to this day.

14. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

A Halloween story from an old blog I used to write.....

When I was a kid, my family used to have an old Volkswagen Beetle. After a decade or two of hard East Coast living, it's floor had developed a small rust hole just behind the driver's seat that over time grew to roughly the size of a beer coaster. My parent's safety advice for riding around in this wheezy, steel and naugahyde death trap was simply "Don't sit on that side." I dutifully followed this advice, and my childhood curiosity was satisfied with peeking through the little hole to watch the pavement rush underneath us, and mischievously tossing the occasional bubble gum wrapper out of it.

One Halloween, my mom thought it would be fun to dress me up as "Li'l Sprout", the cheerful, childlike mascot for Green Giant brand frozen vegetables. Sprout was the star of a string of animated television commercials that were popular at the time, (It was the 70's, kids. We didn't have as many pop culture icons to choose from as you do nowadays.) so my mom...being the artsy craftsy type....went through a considerable amount of effort handcrafting a little smock with a bunch of green felt leaves attached to it in an attempt to make me look like an adorable little brussell's sprout. As you can probably guess, I hated this costume. Partly because it was itchy and uncomfortable, but mostly because it wasn't Space Ghost or The Six Million Dollar Man. I would've killed for one of the totally awesome store bought costumes of the era, which was usually a cheaply silk-screened plastic poncho and a thin, molded plastic mask that you could neither breathe in or see out of. But according to my mother, financial constraints wouldn't allow this. So I resigned myself to the fact that I would be going trick or treating with my cousins looking like a cross between a mutated artichoke and a two-month-early Christmas tree. I was pretty bummed, and made no effort to hide my contempt for this gross miscarriage of Halloween fun.

The big night arrived, and as we drove to my cousin's house I sat pouting on the non-forbidden side of the back seat of the aforementioned Volkswagen, with my itchy, uncomfortable, dorky-ass Halloween outfit on the seat beside me. About halfway through our trip I had taken it off, staging my own little silent rebellion in the rear by myself. As the costume sat mockingly in a pile next to me, I noticed that it was gradually finding it's way off of the seat, and was somehow creeping towards the gaping rust hole in the floor. This was amazing! It was almost as if it had telepathically read my thoughts, took pity on me, and sought to hurl itself to it's doom in an effort to save me from certain humiliation. Just before the urge to help it along overwhelmed me, I blinked...and it was gone! It was at this precise moment that my mother chose to glance in her rear view mirror. Her lizard mom brain instinctively overtook her, and she slammed hard on the brakes because she believed the little green bundle she saw tumbling in the road in the autumn twilight was her beloved child....her L'il Sprout...who had somehow been tragically sucked into oblivion.

One of the most difficult things in life is to attempt to appear innocent when you're accused of something you could've very easily done, but didn't. After about 5 minutes of accusations, denials, and trying to convince my once terrified but now pissed off mother that it was simple physics and not willful malice that destroyed my L'il Sprout costume, I resorted to using the only weapon a kid really has in his arsenal when he's angry, confused, and confronted with injustice. I cried.

We drove in silence to Town Fair and I was forced to rummage through whatever costumes were left at 7:00 in the evening on Halloween. I wound up as a one-size-too-small Barney Rubble.

I couldn't breathe and I couldn't see, but it was the best Halloween ever.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

tubegeek likes this.
  16. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

When I was a wee tyke, my mother took me trick-or-treating. It would have been around 1966. I was wearing a Casper The Friendly Ghost costume. I had a paper sack full of candy. We went to a house where an old man (probably my age now) lived. He yelled at me. I was so sad that on the way home, I dragged my paper sack on the street and it wore a hole through the bottom. My candy leaked out of the bottom of the sack through the hole. By the time I got home, I had very little candy left.

If I ever see that old man, I'm gonna punch him in the face...

17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:eek:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

As a young teen, I rigged up a candy bar with a rubber band so it would drop into the sack and return to my hand like a yo-yo. Worked perfectly...but after just a couple of kids, I felt so guilty that I stopped.

19. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell TDPRI Member

I've always loved Halloween and it's a big deal to me. It's the only holiday we really celebrate.

We have people over on Halloween night to help us give out candy and scare the kids, which is always fun.

I remember going to a haunted house when I was 5 or so and having a guy with an actual chainsaw (blade removed of course) chase me around. People don't really seem to be into Halloween that much anymore. Kind of sad.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

As a young kid, I dressed up as a cool beatnik with black turtleneck sweater, scarf, beret and long cigarette holder stuffed with a candy cigarette.

I now own and play the bongos.

Coincidence?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.