1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Memorial Day lawn sports

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big John Studd, May 22, 2013.

1. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

Like many families, when mine gathers for Memorial Day we play a bunch of lawn sports. We incorporate the typical stuff like horseshoes, badminton, and kickball. But we also have one that we invented all on our own. It goes like this...

Get an assortment of golf clubs, one for each player (irons of poor quality picked up at a garage sale will do fine), some of those practice golf balls that look like tiny wiffle balls, and lay out a golf course or one or two holes depending on available space. Then have at it! We don't incorporate putting into the game but instead make the "holes" something you can chip into or bounce off of...an old pickup truck tire works well. You can move the tee and hole location around as needed. Keep score, wager, drink beer, award prizes, and so forth just like regular golf. Adjust the rules any way you want to maximize participation and fun!

Anyway, what lawn sports do you all enjoy? Anybody have an unusual one they invented that they can share?

I bring this up around Memorial Day because that is the traditional start of lawn parties here in the US. But those from around the globe please share your lawn sports traditions as well!

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I play one with my little nephews where I hit tennis balls out towards the woods with a baseball bat, and they get to race to see who can be the first one to run get it and bring it back to me. But then when their parents come outside, we change to a different game real quick.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Out here in Seattle we love to get outside on Memorial Day and splash around in the rain and puddles.

4. Big John Studd

That sounds like a great game! I play a sort of similar one with my two little boys where I send them out in the field and then kick the tar out of kickball as high as I can into the air while they scramble underneath to catch it. They've had a few bounce of their heads and so forth, but they haven't caught one yet! They are bound and determined though, let me tell you what.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Jarts.........(the original pointy kind)
    or
    real frisbee
    or
    horseshoes

- If I see any more of the corn-hole bean bag thingies I will surely lose it.

-

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Calvin ball. Come to think of it, your impromptu golf sounds similar.

7. solly

solly TDPRI Member

Kan Jam

8. unclearty

unclearty Tele-Holic

When I was a kid, some of my knucklehead friends and I would play catch....with Jarts. At the time , we thought it was pretty cool until my friend's Mom came out and beat the hell out of our butts...never saw those Jarts again....

9. buckfuzzard

buckfuzzard Tele-Meister

Bocce Ball

10. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Not a good video, but the song is appropriate:

11. uriah1

Funny..
    THey should have used a real lawn dart for prop..though...in lieu of sponge dart..lol

12. Big John Studd

LOL...I hear ya. I'd never heard about it (I guess maybe I had a bean bag toss game when I was like 4) until I moved up here to Maryland where it appears to be the official game of the state. A company picnic or something we went to announced there would be a cornhole contest. Hmmm...not sure that's a contest I want to win...or lose.

I saw a PBS thing one time where these people all played some sort of bowling game on dirt using (if I am recalling correctly) leftover parts from a manufactuing process...like gears or cogs or something. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Seems like it had a southwestern US feel to it. Anybody know what I am talking about?

13. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

My game is called "sitting on the deck drinking beer". I seem to get better at it every year...

14. uriah1

I plan on following voodo..

15. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

..... you just did :lol:

16. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

I think the newest batch are decent like bag toss, washer toss and the ladder game too. The tried and true horseshoes, badminton, volleyball & frisbee are all still great. Bocce ball! All depends on how much room you have!
    Getting thirsty just thinking about it!!
    ;):lol:

17. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Full contact extreme croquet

18. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

For the last 25 or so years everyone always played a game of badminton and volleyball and those sorts of things.. now the older folks(me included) sit around and watch the younger folks participate. Its like living the changing of the guard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.