Memorable quotes and anecdotes from your (Former) bandmates.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Today, I hung out with the former drummer and Lead singer of Slavantas and a lot of anecdotes of the old days were brought up. But more than that hour hanging out with that singer was way more than I could stand. (And I'll leave it at that.)

So I had the idea of bringing up memorable quotes and anecdotes of bandmates or former bandmates.

My band "Rote Sau"
"Stop going on an ego trip dude, songs have to EVOLVE!"
- Our then bass player after I, in deep frustration, said that I was sick hearing him play the wrong notes over and over in a song we had been practising for two years. Okay, songs need to evolve, I can agree with that but not if evolution means that that mistake becomes part of the song.

"If we start playing shows, can we divide our set list in blocks of three songs with five minute intervals?"
- Our then drummer, because to his own admission, he lacked the stamina to play a full continuous show.
"Dude, are you kidding me?"
- My reply

Slavantas.
We were rehearsing a new song, jamming along, making it all fit together, which eventually resulted in the song "Back in Ballance." It was going great, everything was coming together when out of nowhere our then bass player went "I'm bored with this, let's do something else!" We all looked at him as if he had grown a second head. "Yeah really funny dude." but he was totally serious.

I was there when the next thing I'm going to mention happened, otherwise I wouldn't have believed it. Once again, a rehearsal where we were trying out ideas and see if a song could be gotten from them. When all of a sudden that same bass player said "Yo Walt, check out Josh, what the F&^@ is he doing?" I looked over at our drummer, and he actually pulled a tooth from his mouth with his fingers before tossing it over his shoulder.

Yeah, that pretty much summed up Slavantas in those days: a tooth being pulled out using fingers.

mr natural

Friend of Leo's
Riding in the van to a gig. We were approaching a yellow light. The guitar player warned the drummer to slow down gradually so that the drum set piled precariously in the back would not fall over. He did so and when we came to a stop, the guitar player, bass player and I all said, “that was a good drum brake” at the same time (Beck quote). That was 1 of those bands where we had scary brain sync going on. Best group improvisation of any band I was ever in.

MTPoteet

Tele-Holic
This one got to drive me crazy after a while ( during gig):

" Here's one, from a little band from England you may have heard of..."
( the Beatles)

(former bandmate- good friend still, but we just have different musical paths and likes today)
I agree, a lot of banter from the front man gets very repetitive when you hear it night after night, especially when they are not very original like the one you quoted.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I agree, a lot of banter from the front man gets very repetitive when you hear it night after night, especially when they are not very original like the one you quoted.

My dirty little secret?
I'm now the frontman ( trio, only guitar & lead singer), and definitely guilty of going down the same path, on a few tunes...
Gotta watch it!

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
Bassplayer looking at his amp: By the look of the controls, I am much to quiet!

Same Bassplayer: "Man, my amp is really quiet today"
Singer: "No wonder, it's not powered on!"

Working out some complicated progressive rock song, guitarist has trouble to remember the parts. After 2nd explanation from the bandleader, he just says: "Whenever you twitch, I'll play clean!"
Meaning: whenever he watched the bandleader's foot move, he'll know to switch to a clean sound.

And a favourite from a live gig with another band (all original material), after a song the singer of the band yells in the audience : "Yeah, well, the next song is great also!!!!"

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
For a bunch of years, I was a member of a band that was assembled once a year for an outdoor summer party. As our party date would approach, I would ask the other guitar player, how about getting in a quick practice ahead of the gig. Nah, he'd say, lets just wig it.

While watching two acoustic guys performing mostly original songs, someone in the crowd yells, "PLAY ONE WE ALL KNOW!" The guy standing next to me quietly says, "Why don't you play one you all know."

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Decades ago now, my band was going to perform its first HUGE venue. It was open air and there would be about 15000 people there! :eek: The night before, one of our members was having a major pre-stage fright issue. He threatened to not do the gig, cause he was soooo freaking out man! At one point he was just sitting there silent and then all of a sudden he jumped to his feet and yelled "I CAN'T TAKE THE PRESSURE! I WANNA BE AN ACTOR!!!!" :lol::lol::lol::lol::oops::oops: After that outburst he calmed down, we did the gig, and all was well ;)

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
"Water - it's great!"
"Who farted? Greg!"
"We get along GREAT in this band" (after I told the guitar player to shut up introducing a song I was going to sing)
"A MINOR MAN!" (singer attempting to get his new song back on track after the lead guitar player and I (bass) got lost and went in different directions).
"End NOW!"

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I don’t know if this applies, but ....
My friends, and sometimes musical partners, Daryl and Carl were watching a husband and wife duo.
They were called Puss N Boots.
After hearing a couple of tunes, Daryl turns to Carl and asks, “So, which one’s Boots?”

Last edited:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
In High School we're playing a gig in a gym (no stage) and at one point my Fender Super Reverb burst into actual flames. We stopped playing, I rushed back and was able to blow out the fire, walked back to my microphone, saw the audience standing dumbly watching and not saying anything, and I said into my mic, "UH......we're gonna take a little break."

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I think we are going to need smaller amps !
815F7705-A2DD-457C-A1E3-96C5EF958859.jpeg