1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Melvyn Hiscock

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jkingma, Nov 26, 2020.

1. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I'm not sure if anyone is aware, but Melvyn has been battling cancer for some time and things are not looking good. In fact he is currently in a hospice.

Melvyn and I have never met face to face but we have chatted on various guitar forums over the years and have been FB friends for quite some time. Of all the folks I've "met" during my guitar building days, he has been one of the most helpful. I'm sure many others here would say the same thing.

Yesterday he posted "There are good days and bad days but no escape days".

2. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks for the information @jkingma. Melvyn's hard-earned knowledge and his generousness of spirit have been a help to many. Will send thoughts and prayers on the latest stage of his journey.

John Nicholas and crazydave911 like this.
  3. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

Best wishes to Melvyn and his family. Never met him, but his book was the first lutherie book I read that didn't equate guitar building to a black art for the chosen alone.
    Cheers,
    Woody

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

5. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for posting this.

Like many here I expect, I benefitted hugely from his books and from a brief, but very friendly, amusing and helpful correspondence in far off pre- Internet days. I still feel he's a friend and send him very best wishes.

There's been a third edition of his book in preparation for some time and understandably delayed. See this thread for example

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/melvyn-hiscocks-book-3rd-ed-on-the-way.1029093/

Does anyone have any more recent news?

(Edit: thanks for that Freeman. Sounds hopeful that the book might appear soon.)

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for this news, sad as it might be.

I have had both previous editions of the book, and have been looking forward to the third whenever it might come out. It seems an awful lot of us have benefitted from it in one way or another.

John Nicholas and crazydave911 like this.
  7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hear that.

I don't know the man, but I feel a kinship with anyone who tries to pass on their knowledge to others, like so many on this forum do themselves.

I'm a cancer survivor, but I can't really imagine what laying in hospice must feel like.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

My dad had stomach cancer and had home hospice services. Those are amazing people and there just as much for family as the patient. As the Navajo would say, .May he go in beauty

John Nicholas likes this.
  9. Linds

Linds TDPRI Member

crazydave911 and WingedWords like this.
  10. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Thank you. I've placed my order. My building days are over, but it's still a must-have.

Here's a pair that I made back in the 80's with guidance from Melvyn's book and by correspondence with him. 607643-539227ce22bc83e7b1b0af78160eb5fd.jpg 607642-10b679f77bbaf64794534eab8a51f1a3.jpg I wish I hadn't sold them.

RiversQC, gabeNC and crazydave911 like this.
  11. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

So sorry to hear the sad news. Cancer affects so many people, my thoughts are with Melvyn and his loved ones during this difficult time.

crazydave911 and gabeNC like this.
  12. tedocaster

tedocaster TDPRI Member

Thanks for the notice. I've had his book for a long time, and recently had some conversations with him after I recognized his name on a WW1 aircraft forum. He was a pilot and founding member of a group Memorial Flight in France.

13. Guigui34

Guigui34 TDPRI Member

So very sad to hear this.
    Melvin's book was the first I bought.

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

I am very saddened by this news. Usually Hospice care is when there is no cure and the end is approaching.

My dad died of lung cancer and had in home Hospice care. The folks in that program are amazing and wonderful folks and just like crazy dave mentioned, they are there for family as well as the patient.

This hits a bit close to home, as I'm currently dealing with Stage 4 Cancer...

If you do make contact with Melvyn, please extend my best to him and his family.

Thanks for letting us know.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.