1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Melody Maker Club.....

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by studio1087, Jul 8, 2009.

1. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Here's my 2011 MM SG (complete with the infamous torrified maple board.) Loves to play the reggae!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Looks sharp Bob!

Here's my "Les Paul Melody Maker," with a GFS Dream 90 installed by prior owner:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Here is my 1960 MM in its original faux alligator case.

Attached Files:

Paul-T likes this.
  4. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

Sweet!!

5. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Just scored this 2007 MM. Couldn't pass it up for $175. Doesn't intonate very well though. Anyone have any recommendations or ideas on how to get it to intonate better or an aftermarket bridge that works well for these.

I raised up the action to about 5/64th's at the 12th fret and raised to pickup up a lot. The pickup height is actually max'd out. It's very treble-y with the tone knob all the way up, but mellows out nicely with the tone set around 5.

[​IMG]

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

A Gibson Melody Maker for $175?!? :eek: Intonation problems notwithstanding, that's one heckuva score! :D :D

7. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

This--http://www.stewmac.com/SiteSearch/Adjustable_Wraparound_Bridge.aspx or this--http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/82243-intonation-with-a-wraparound-tailpiece/

8. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Tele-Meister

Hello,
    I thought I had already posted this on this thread, but here goes. This is as close as I can come to a Melody Maker at this point.
    I am currently winding reproductions of the PU380, which is the 1959 7/8" wide pickup.
    I will take pictures as the winding and installation as it progresses.

Attached Files:

9. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

This is one of the 2007 dual pickup models. I purchased it about a month ago. I had a 2011 Melody Maker Special that sounded great, but it had huge frets. I couldn't adapt. I like the feel of this one much better. The pickups sound very Stratty. Has anyone tried any of the P-90 like replacement pickups from Novak, BG Pups or Duncan?

[​IMG]

LocoTex likes this.
  10. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Tele-Meister

11. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

I installed a Novak p90 in a black one pickup 2007 MM - no pics but there is not much to see - if you've seen one black 2007 you've seen them all. :lol:

It has a black cover which covers the poll pieces and with the cover is bigger than stock - so I Dremeled out the pickup cutout - essentially lengthening it to the outer edges of the pickup pickguard screw holes. Underneath, the cutout in the body had to be widened as well as the P90 has bigger magnets than the stock pickup. I put some hard foam support underneath the height worked out well visavis the strings.

The finished product looks factory only cleaner IMHO as I never liked the exposed polls look on a MM.

The sound to my ears is an improvement as I am not too fond of the stock MM pickup sound. I can't say the Novak MMP90 sounds like a regular P90 but I can say I like it better than stock. I would not compare the sound to a Strat that is for sure - and I have nothing against Strats.

12. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe a full sized soapbar P-90 or T-Armond set.

13. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I'm in!

Recently picked up this 2003 "Les Paul Melody Maker" from fellow forum member Csapo (Thanks!). I slapped a Les Paul Junior pickguard on it, because let's face it, other than the MM headstock and input jack placement, it's basically a Junior. It has a Lollar P90 and an absolutely perfect set up. The neck is incredible as well – that perfect profile in between the 50s and 60s. Some really nice natural relic wear going on as well. A real keeper!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I just acquired a single pickup double cut Melody Maker. The serial number indicates it is a 1964. It is the yellow/black burst, but I thought they had switched to red by then? Also, I measure the scale length at about 23". Not 24.75, but not the 18.56 of the "3/4 scale" models. Not sure what is going on.

Any thoughts?

It came to me very cheaply, as it has a broken headstock, damaged Kluson tuners, a non-original wraparound bridge and a white cover on the pickup. I am repairing the headstock and have ordered replacement tuners, cover and bridge. At that point I will string it up and test it.

I had a "D" model back in the mid-80s. Don't remember the exact year but it was a red double cut. I liked the original pups and would not want to switch to a P-90. I already have a home-made Jr. and a Gibson LP Special.

15. Emster

Emster TDPRI Member

2 pu sunburst 59 with faux alligator case was also my first guitar. Cost all of $65, but that was 1965 when I didn't know squat. Now I know a bit of squat. After year or two traded it in on a 59 Gretsch double anniversary (all those knobs and screws in filtertrons!). Like to have MM back, but back then earned $1.25/hr and that Gretsch went for $150....

16. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Tele-Meister

Hello.
    Ta Da. Here is the guitar from post #108 with the PU380 pickups. They really sound killer.

Attached Files:

17. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Nice to see you have succeeded in your pickup project. How did you manage to get the right magnets?

18. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Tele-Meister

Hello,
    I made a compromise. After reading about all of the modern magnets not having enough of the "proper impurities" I used 1/2"x 1/8"bar stock cut to length. After I completed the winding, and had it together as a pickup, I used a gauss meter and added enough neodymium magnets to get it to the OHM's reading I wanted. Mild steel should have enough impurities to compensate for the myth's about the lost processes for making magnets. Anyway it sounds close enough for my ears. However I am not as susceptible as some to dog whistle frequencies.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  19. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

I love this guy's enthusiasm for Melody Makers and vintage guitars. Seems like a cool guy. :cool: Just wanted to share. ;)

20. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Melody Makers Old & New

At left my mid-60s MM partscaster with gold foil Teisco-style pickups from Victory Guitars in PA. This started as a '64 single pup model, plus '65 "D" pick guard and pots/caps from a 3/4 scale '63.

The other is one of the 2014 anniversary models with the carved maple top. I sold an early 2000's LP Special to get it. Very similar, but I like the neck on this better, it's lighter by a pound or so and more comfortable to play, with the belly cut and rounded top. Got it used in "like new" condition for a suspiciously low price, but I can't find a thing wrong with it. "Like new" indeed.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.