1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Melody Maker Club.....

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by studio1087, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

I picked this 1 up recently from CL for $180.:D

There's a GFS Mean 90 on the way for it. In a couple of weeks I'll take it along when I visit a friend who has woodworking skills (I don't) and the tools and we'll do some routing to get the volume control out of the way and add a tone control.

It actually sounds pretty good as it is, but can't leave well enough alone.:p
    [​IMG]

2. bullnose

bullnose TDPRI Member

Melody Maker

This arrived last week - 2008 reissue:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LocoTex likes this.
  3. Spontaneous

Spontaneous Tele-Meister

Q: How good is a melody maker, let's say a vintage 1960's with a P90, compared to nice esquire, LP Jr? Been looking at them on ebay and I really like how they look. Also looking at LP jr's.

4. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

'60s MM wouldn't have a P90 originally. The MM had a unique (as far as I know) single coil pup about the size of a strat pup.
    How good is it ?
    A `63 double cutaway was my number 1 for 40 years.
    Guess I must of liked it.

5. Spontaneous

Spontaneous Tele-Meister

Wow! So the 1960's pickups are that good?

6. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

The MM pickups were unique for Gibson. I had a '67 Jr. with a P90, and a 65 Firebird with minihums and all were completely different.All good in their own way, Gibson pickups were all good in the early '60s in my experience.

7. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

59 MM 3/4

Yesterday was my lucky day. I went to the pawn shop to look at the guitars. It is the kind of place selling phones, games, crappy computers, and cheap asian guitars, but I hoped to see one day a real bargain on a used mexicain Telecaster or even something funny, but we are in Paris and there are more specialized shops for rare and expensive stuff... Anyway, this one was funny indeed: a strange old school brown sunburst, and very small compared to the other guitars hanging on the wall ( a Squier and Ibanez twice the price), Gibson stamped in gold on the head stock, and the label said "Gibson Junior + case 79€ " (Lets say 99$). Never heard of that! And the strange proportions and details didn´t remind me of the reissue Melody Maker I played once.

Everything was screaming FAKE japanese toy! I faced the door to leave... :confused:

[​IMG]

Then I heard the little voice saying it looks like a real vintage, beaten used and sometimes abused, and who would bother to fake a unknown guitar, and anyway if it is cheap, I have a young daughter so it could be a nice project. So I paid the price, wich when I think of it was a bit high for a worn and fake toy guitar!!! ;)

[​IMG]

Back home I did some research and eventually found the guitar here and there from vintage sellers and forums, which brings me back here.

The seller was not too far from the truth with the name " junior" since it is the 3/4 variant of the Melody Maker shown earlier in this thread, easily recognizable with the neck/body jonction at the 12th fret.

It is known as the Melody Maker 3/4 produced in 1959 (mostly and apparently a few in 1960 an 1961). Not much doubts subsist on this date, however any commentary about the pictures, parts or history is welcome.

(click for large pictures)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Overspray on the fixed part of the bridge posts?

[​IMG]
    Pots Centralab from 1959, tone is 250K engraved on top, and volume 500K engraved on side. Obviously rewired.

[​IMG]
    White plastic baseplate removed not shown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This guitar has the original BIG pickup from 1959 and and the sound is killer. Inside the pots are dated from the same year and there is this BIG 0,22 paper in oil cap called bumblebee, a new japanese jack and bad soldering will not spoil it, the vibe is there.

Lots of scratches on the body and head but the neck is ok. The guitar is a pleasure to play, extremely light, easy neck. The neck is a "regular" shortscale ( like a mustang approximately), and the body seems to be close to the regular size. Size reduction is achieved by moving the body towards the head if you see what I mean... Hence the junction at the 12th fret.

The pickguard is not marked "Melody Maker", and not very much worn . Could it be original?

The original tuners have been replaced a long time ago by Grover tuners, leaving two screw holes apparent which is not happy, but there is no easy way back and they do their job perfectly.

What else to say? I am very happy to own and play this little guitar, as a piece of history, and for the mistery of its previous life.

Lashdog and infiniteposse like this.
  8. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

LowCaster: GREAT score!

The pickguard looks old and original despite the missing lettering.

The tuners are better than stock.

Sweet guitar!

9. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Thank you Sidney Vicious! I wake up this morning and don't know if it is real, was it a dream? I gotta play something! :cool:

10. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

May I join??
    I got mine for $175 brand new this past August at a L&M moving sale. Great little guitar,it s become my TV /Electric a slide guitar.

image-3907906829.jpg

11. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Low Caster, that is a wonderful find, especially in Paris, I've seen the price of vintage gear there and that is the deal of the year so far.
    I wasn't aware there was a club, I'm in now!

Attached Files:

12. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

ScottJPatrick: Nice guitar. Is it a faded Pelham Blue?

I have recorded this short sound test of the MM 3/4, clean and with overdrive. Tone is set to medium values because I thought my basic recording wouldn't be able to do justice to the extreme trebble and bass sounds, but "live" they are quite interesting too.
    Beware, poor playing inside. :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvZu92nkrsA

13. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

yes, originally Pelham Blue although the guys in my band think it's green, changes colour depending on the light conditions!

14. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Very special kind of blue, but I like it.

15. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

That 3/4 Melody Maker is gorgeous, a real steal too, Well done.

They are the real deal, and not too common either

I fixed up one of these for someone sometime ago, they paid quite a bit more than you did for yours, I can tell you, and it wasn't as original as yours either.

Top score!!

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Beautiful guitar LowCaster! Congratulations.

17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I've had three additions since I started this....

About 18 months ago I bought a used recent white MM SG.....

[​IMG]

About 2 months ago I bought a second dual pickup 2007 model. I love the neck pickup. This is the only guitar that I've ever had two of at one time. They only built the dual pickup model for about 8 months and they get harder and harder to find.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the family shot at that point.....

[​IMG]

I had a red 2003 model (P90) about 5 years ago that I sold when I bought a Les Paul Jr. I figured that two single P90 guitars would be redundant. I missed the red one and I found a TV Yellow 2003 model for sale right down the road from where I live. I picked this up two weeks ago....

It came to me like this (the guy put a DiMarzio humbucker in it but he saved the Gibson P90)...

[​IMG]

I put the P90 back in and added straplocks and a black guard. This is for keeps......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I sold my 65 last year to a buddy. It was all original and needed some things replaced. I didn't have the heart to change it so I sold it to a buddy of mine who doesn't mind modding it and is using it as his gigging guitar. I bought it as an investment and did make a few extra bucks on it. I replaced it with this last week and couldn't be happier. It's a 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker and it actually is a much more professional guitar then the old MM. Maple capped mahogany body and a maple neck. The P90's are new for Gibson this year. They have steel slugs and les output like the late 40's P90's. They are called P90S and are quite a bit sweeter with less bark then my other P90 guitars. Not better or worse just different. I'm really pleased with this guitar.

Attached Files:

LocoTex likes this.
  19. devnulljp

devnulljp Tele-Meister

Wow, now that's a score.

20. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Totally agree with what everyone says about this model, here's mine:

[​IMG]
    I could do a gig with the volume knob and a dirty amp if I had to :lol:

[​IMG]

mijstrat72 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.