Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by flatfive, Oct 14, 2011.
Hey, I'm glad I got caught up on this build. carry on please.
Hey there, Dave. Thanks for sharing that -- I'll have to
check out some of those classic books. But isn't reading
20 or 30 comments, scattered around the web and
providing contradictory opinions, easier that reading the
well-organized thoughts of one experienced luthier?
Good to see you around, and to see you also survived the
I've been making a little progress. I thinned the neck
down a lot, then redid the transitions.
Before going any further I wiped naptha on the neck
to check for problems. I was amazed at the size of
some the scratches that were invisible before I
used the naptha.
Sorted them out, then wiped shellac on the neck
to keep dust and dirt out of the wood -- and also
because it's just fun to wipe shellac on stuff.
Then I figured that there should be a mother-of-pearl logo
on the headstock.
The face of the headstock will be painted black. I figure I'll
scrape the black lacquer off the inlay, as I understand they
used to do at Gibson.
Pattern glued to MOP with gel super glue.
Started the sawing:
If this turns out nicely I may use it as a pattern for
a dremel-based pin router I'm going to make. More on
that soon, I hope.
Here's the setup for sawing the mother-of-pearl:
The sawed pieces:
I'm slowly sawing better, but I'm still sawing slowly.
Tomorrow I'll clean the pieces up with files.
Oooohhhhh, a "Dremel-based pin router"....now I'm really excited!!!
What a great job you're doing with this guitar (and I'm not a MM fan).....you're making me want one now.
It's very simple. Hope I can put it together and try it this
This is great! Looking forward to the sunburst work.
I'm betting "simple" is a relative term here. I hope you can put it together and try it this weekend, too! I wanna see plans!
Great looking build, btw.
I started another thread to share the dremel pin router.
It worked, but not well enough to make very small inlay.
For this build I'm thinking of scrapping the headstock inlay,
as the headstock will be painted black and I don't have
a feeling for whether I'll get good results scraping the
black lacquer off the inlay.
Back at it! Spread some black Timbermate filler over the body
The body had previously been sealed with shellac.
For those of you who weren't born when this thread
started: the plan's for a sunburst.
I'm faking it here, but my plan is to spray the front
and back with yellow Mixol mixed with a little honey
amber Transtint dye. I want a touch of the black
filler in the grain to show through the yellow, like
on my old Melody Maker.
I don't really know what I'm doing with grain filling. The
last time I used Timbermate I couldn't tell when to stop
sanding and sanded too little filler off.
This time I tried to keep sanding until the wood was
mostly it's natural color.
Wiped some shellac on to try to see if the color looked
That looks about like I remember my old Melody Maker looking.
If weather and time permit I'll spray with vinyl sealer tomorrow.
That looks like a tonne of filler to sand off!
Sprayed Sherwin-Williams vinyl sealer.
I've never used it before, and it's thicker than I expected
out of the can. Next time I'll thin it a little.
You can see some remaining filler on the side and around
the neck joint. That's okay -- on these areas the burst
will be dark, and the filler did a good job of fixing little
Looks good Glenn , I use SW K 27 Retarder Thinner with the vinyl sealer Glenn , its not cheap , cost about the same per gallon as the sealer , but it is good stuff , sealer sprays on smooth like glass , and works great with the Lovoc too .
Thanks, Herb! I actually got some of that thinner at the
same time as the sealer -- I think Guitarnut recommended
it to me for blushing problems. I'll try it on the next coat
Looks fabulous, Glenn!