Melbourne, what can I expect from the land down under?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dreamingtele, May 26, 2017.

1. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Nah, if you want to blend in you need a Drizabone rain slicker.

2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I checked it out. they have nice jackets! a bit expensive though! but really nice!

3. dreamingtele

To update you guys, health assessment is now finalised and application is on-going. I dont know how long this takes and I hope it will be soon. I cant wait to go there and see and experience Melbourne!

I dont know if I'll be bringing my AmPro and my G5420T. Im scared that the baggage crews will be throwing it or something. But I really want to as I'm trying to save the money for house rent and possibly a car. so guitars will be the least of my priority. It wont stop me from visiting guitar stores though.

I hope to see you guys!

richiek65 likes this.
  4. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

As sung by New Zealander Neil Finn, who lived quite a few years in Melbourne.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

In Mt Pleasant St, which appears in 'always take the Weather With You'. Another Melbun saying. Don't like the weather now? Wait ten minutes.

If you want someone to give you ins and outs of living in Melbourne I live 20km 25-30 minutes from the CBD South East by the beach. 25 outbid peak hour. At least an hour otherwise. Trains are great don't overlook them.

It vies with places like Toronto for Most Liveable City. It's clean, there's a fantastic culture of cafe's and eateries - over 60 ethnicities of food. The major sports arenas are in an arc a short walk down the Yarra - MCG for cricket/Aussie Rules, Rod Laver Arena Aust Open Tennis and concerts, Hisense, rugby and soccer, plus swimming.

National Gallery, museums. Melbourne us where the money and communication hub because of the goldrush days. Book of Mormon is playing coming up to a year. All the big shows and touring artists come here. International celebs like coming here, you can walk the streets, drink the water, we have high standards for public health, annoying nanny state public safety laws. Speed cameras and traffic policing is dynamite, Vic was first with DUI and drug testing, seatbelt laws using a mobile driving gets a $1400 fine.

The only people you will see with guns are cops and serious career crims - who unless you're into drugs you need not fear, because they won't risk extended jail terms shooting straight normal people. Whenever there's a shooting here it still makes the headlines it so rare and it's almost always serious crims shooting each other.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    outbreak likes this.
  6. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

If you are looking at where to live in Melbourne it's worth looking further away from the city, for the price of a shoe box in the city/inner city you can usually get a decent sized house if you don't mind a 30-40 minute trip into the city. Public transport here runs out to most outer suburbs too, the coverage is really good and really beats the hassle of driving in the city and finding carparks.

7. dreamingtele

Hi guys!

I flew in a month ago. Im sorry I wasnt able to keep you guys posted.

with the company's generosity of giving me one month of free accommodation, I had to take the first apartment that we get accepted in to. ( I never thought that renting a place here is like looking for a job, with so many requirements and papers to show.)

I now live along St Kilda Road, which is a few minutes away from the CBD and definitely a joy to ride my bike to.

I chose to live really close to work, which is literally 2 buildings away from my building. I took away the transportation expenses and put it into rent.

Myki cards are convenient but it gets expensive so I bought a bike and at least it will just cost me money upfront and nothing after. (I hope my bike doesnt get stolen, I love it and i may not have money to replace it if it gets stolen. I make sure I lock it securely).

I havent got time to visit any guitar stores at the moment. and my money is all tied up with the appliances and everything I need to live. Guitar hunting will surely be on the list on Christmas day.

Last Saturday, me and my wife spent the day biking around the city and ended up at capital city trail where we just sat and just took in the view. gorgeous sight and relaxing day for us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice pics...:)

9. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to Melbourne:)

10. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful. Pity about that little ditch they call the river ...

11. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Sounds about right ;):p:D

12. Dacious

Yes, the upside down river.... A girl drove into it after colliding with someone else. Had to get divers in to find it. It's only ten feet deep there 1507380062329.jpg

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

You'll be there just in time to watch "the race that stops a nation"... The Melbourne Cup horse race...

first tuesday of November it's run..... quite a show... :)

14. Dacious

To show how compact Melbourne is for a city of some 6 million, Flemington is a ten minute tram ride one way.

Albert Park where the F1 GP is held is ten minutes the other way..... That's the city skyline in the background
    youtube]so2EtbC2p3Q

15. dreamingtele

I'm actually dreading and looking forward to the F1. Im on Queens Road, and my building is just across albert park where the F1 will be held. Im not sure if I'll get to sleep in the mornings. but I have a front view of the racing though.

Id like to see the Penguins!

16. Dacious

It's a good time to take a l-o-n-g weekend like a lot of the natives, and hire your joint out as an AirBnB - you can make enough money for a new MIM or decent s/h US Tele....

richiek65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.