Melbourne, what can I expect from the land down under?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dreamingtele, May 26, 2017.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Thank you so much for all the help! Will check out all these in the next few days! Im slowly branching out and looking at camberwell and prices are getting better.. hopefully the traffic isnt too much.. I know I can bear it all. If you live or even experience the Philippines for a few days, you'll know what Im talking about regarding traffic! LOL

2. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Traffic from camberwell is fine... busy but fine, I would just leave early. There is trams / trains from there that will take you very close to your work as well .

3. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

Yet another example of the astonishing kindness of the TDPRI! Is this really the internet? o_O

richiek65 likes this.
  4. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

There's plenty of kit building going on, have a look at Pitbull Guitars, here is a link to the builders forum a lot of the builds are truly stunning http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/

5. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Be aware not all rentals are pet friendly so factor that in if you are bring the hound.

6. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In the USA, if you go to the fender web site and look at the various instruments, the prices shown are exactly what they are selling for from most dealers, even on-line. That is, for instance, and American Special Telecaster w/maple fretboard is selling new for $999 at Sweetwater, GC MF, Sam Ash, etc. That's MSRP (RRP) ....from all sources, and the same goes for ALL Fender models. One may be able to get a 15% discount on holidays or other special occasions, but no one is advertising less than MSPR prices for Fender, as far as I know. Maybe somone will clue me in on wher I can get 25% off MSRP....;)

7. dreamingtele

Yes sir! I'm sure I'll be able to find a rental that allows pets, it'll be around at least 6 months before I can get him into Australia.

8. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Pellegrinis espresso bar is what heaven will be like..

9. dreamingtele

Will certainly try this!

10. richiek65

I recently bought a great used mexi strat in a gator case off ebay for AU$650.. that's about USD480.. new listed prices are always way higher than what you will eventually pay though.. i recently bought a Vox amp listed at 1399, ended up paying 1050 with the optional footswitch thrown in

dreamingtele likes this.
  11. richiek65

400 to rent a house anywhere decent is probably a bargain..I'm in Sydney, about an hour from the CBD, we live in our own house (well, the bank still owns a large chunk!) but if i had to rent in my neighborhood, i wouldn't find much for less than 700 per week. Sydney is more expensive for housing than Melbourne though

12. richiek65

dreamingtele likes this.
  13. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Rents are high. My daughter pays $185 for a small room with everything else shared, but it is close to Deakin University.

Bringing in a dog might be fantastically expensive, due to our quarantine regulations. I think they have to spend time in quarantine. Read this:

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs

14. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

15. richiek65

Mornington peninsula a great place to visit..Portsea Pub is an institution, Sorrento is gorgeous.
    I'm a Sydney boy but love any excuse to get to Melbourne. It may miss out on some harbour and beach magnificence but it makes up for it in vibe!

The skiing may not be world class but I've had some fantastic times on the Aussie ski slopes..just don't go on a weekend or the crowds and lift queues will destroy the fun..NZ close by if you really get bitten by the ski bug..

And yes, the Great Ocean Road is not to be missed..

Some great motorcycle rides await you too..the Dandenongs, Healesville, GOR, the Alpine region (not in winter!)..

I'll stop now..

dreamingtele likes this.
  16. richiek65

Goes to show how much prices have gone up in the last couple of years.. i bought a cv50 bsb in 2015 from this shop.. AU$485 delivered..

17. dreamingtele

Thats not so bad, pretty much the same here in the Philippines

18. dreamingtele

I guess thats my limit, I have to survive there, Im not sure how much the prices of groceries and other stuff. I have a lot to think about, probably getting car is not a good idea on the first few months.

19. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

some great info from the lads down under... good stuff

looking forward to visiting home (WA) with my missus at christmas.. hopefully i can afford a few beers and a night out with my family ;)

richiek65 and dreamingtele like this.
  20. dreamingtele

Yes! I've checked and double checked that article. a lot has to be done, and I have to talk to my vet if its feasible.. It can be done but I know its very hard.

I would probably need a smallish house or a condo for me and wife.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.