Melbourne, what can I expect from the land down under?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dreamingtele, May 26, 2017.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I know all about Aussie ski hills -- half the lifties at our local ski resort (Big White) are Australian. (I partly chalk that up to the Australian love of travel.) Aussie ski hills don't have much vertical, though. They come to BC and do Revelstoke: it has a 1713m (5620ft) vertical descent -- the biggest in North America. By comparison, Aussie hills ... are cute.

dreamingtele likes this.
  2. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

None of these are in Melbourne though if the op is now a little worried . ...

dreamingtele and chemobrain like this.
  3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Melbourne, what can I expect from the land down under?
    Mostly, just some the coolest, most gregarious, and laid-back folks you're likely to meet. I love Oz and am dying to get back.

outbreak likes this.
  4. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

... are you sure they be sneaky and filled with stealth?
    critters have their filthy ways. nobody believed in the zombie woof being in Melbourne but remember what happened, don't yah?:rolleyes:

5. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

You find redbacks pretty much everywhere, I'm sure Melbourne has its fair share. My shed is home to about a dozen, live and let live, the possums in the roof are more of a worry. There are also Redbacks:

[​IMG]

Steve 78 likes this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

There's a 20% markup. Still hideously expensive.

dreamingtele likes this.
  7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" e>allowfullscreen></ifram

8. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I havent tried skiing before! Coming from a tropical country, I have not seen snow, all my visits to the US are all summer time!

9. dreamingtele

If Im buying new I guess, it would be hard on my pockets, how about the used market?

10. dreamingtele

An Update:

I'll be working near Queens Road, Melbourne.. Can you give me places which I can live in, within an hour or less than an hour's drive from that place? Im looking at realestate.com.au and I see lots of neighborhoods and homes, but I dont know how far it is from Queens Road.

I just need a few places/locations to start looking for a new place to live so I can narrow down my search!

Thank you guys!

11. Big-Tele

Big-Tele Tele-Meister

Hope your employer provides parking. Around Queens Road is hard work finding parking.

12. dreamingtele

That I would have to clear up with the employer. Im not even sure if I can afford a car there, or I'll be doing commute

13. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding something nearby. There's a whole ring of suburbs, if you imagine a semi-circle, with Albert Park lake as the flat side, from South Yarra to say Brighton, stretching out to Caulfield and Malvern, all easily accessible by tram and train and not a huge trip to work even with traffic. That takes in a lot of suburbs that would suit you. Outside of the CBD it's also a treasure trove of night life and culture.

If you look further out, there's also major roads like Toorak Rd, Malvern Rd, High St and Princes Hwy that run far out into the suburbs and offer a direct root pretty much to your work. Concentrate on the public transport network (trams mainly and trains, buses not so much) - a lot of them start in the city, go up St Kilda Rd, which runs parallel to Queens Rd, then branch off from there.

14. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Or consider taking public transport (eg the tram). Here's a link to the tram map: http://static.ptv.vic.gov.au/Maps/1493356745/PTV_Tram-Network-Map_2017.pdf

Then you can Google the tram or bus time between your new office and potential places to live.

If you're happy to spend an hour travelling each way, there's a lot of residential property within reach, including plenty of perfectly livable suburbs. Queens Road isn't stranded miles from anywhere, in an isolated business district without any homes.

I'm guessing that your budget and requirements will probably end up dominating your decision. Beyond realestate.com.au, you might try domain.com.au -- my realtor says that most of SE Australian properties are going to be listed in one or both of them.

15. dreamingtele

Thank you sir, this is pretty much what Im looking for. I'll try to follow the major roads that offer direct root to where I will work. Im not sure if I can afford a car, but I think I can afford a motorcycle or a scooter. Would you recommend that?

I had to adjust my real estate thinking as we are using the monthly rate here in the Philippines, and I just realized that you guys go by weekly basis, which I have to budget my salary accordingly.

16. dreamingtele

Thank you sir! an hour or less would be preferable. I used to commute/drive 2 hours from work including traffic here.. but I just moved into the city which still gives me an hour to drive due to heavy traffic congestion. an hour would be my maximum.

I have to do budgeting in the next few days when the employer clears up all the details I need. in any case, I would like to live really close by, even just a bike or a walk away to offset any transportation expenses which can save me time and money, but I know it will be more expensive.

17. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Probably good to know your age (approximate) and what is important to you? Do you want lots of cafes / restaurants? Pubs? Water? Parks? Your age?

Some of these suburbs have been mentioned
    Already

Within a few km: South Melbourne / Albert park : beautiful suburbs, but expensive. Nice cafes and some nice bars. Close to the city but also close to the water. Slightly older area mainly due to the cost of living! Port Melbourne is also ok, but personally I find it gets a bit loud & young there and I don't like the crowd so much.

0-5km Away : St kilda is near by which has a real mixture of people! Lots of bars and eateries - used to be a sleazy , slightly dangerous area that has now cleaned up a lot. Lots of cheap accommodation but choose wisely as I imagine some host a lot of teenagers that can get noisy at night! Can get slightly further out to places like Elwood and elsternwick which are lovely. Brighton which was mentioned is also nice but comes with a price tag.

0-5km : Richmond has more pubs then any suburb in Melbourne , literally every corner. Close to all the major sporting events and also close to the city. Good music / food area. Lots of options to rent. Easy to get a tram to St kilda road.

0-5km Prahran / south yarra. A real shopping hub of Melbourne and a very affluent area. Lots to do but a bit pretentious for mine. If you keep heading out east there are suburbs like hawthorn, kew, camberwell, Balwyn (10-15km away) and Blackburn (around 20-25km) you are still in very nice suburbs but more family / children orientated. Safe and access to trams and trains. Less to do on weekends !

North side you have collingwood, Fitzroy , Brunswick, Carlton which I guess are around 10km away , 30-35 min in peak hour. considered the hipster side of town I guess! Good music scene, good food. Lots to do. You can head further out to northcote and thornbury which are really growing or even Preston which is a bit rougher but also cheaper to rent.

Hope that helps a little!

I don't know the west side well at all which is also not far from
    The city but others that live in melb can give you more of a rundown there.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Steve 78 likes this.
  18. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

A scooter or motorbike would certainly get you there quicker. Traffic's a nightmare at peak hour, but it depends how brave you are. My brother in law used to scooter from the suburbs to the city, and he's still with us, so...

I used to live in Camberwell and study in the city, and the commute didn't bother me, so even that far out is nothing compared to what you're used to. Even as far out as Glen Waverley, if you're finding it hard to find cheapish accomodation, is still okay.

And, yeah, rent, guitars, you name it, it's expensive.

19. dreamingtele

my wife and I are in our early 30's.. I love cafe's and restaurants (just to try out food, but we cook and imitate everything we eat), Parks would be great as Im trying to bring my dog over there as well (it will be expensive I know but he's my family), so dog friendly parks are nice! Pubs, not so much, unless its a really good blues/jazz club, I want to check it out as well.

Young is good, but loud, may be something of a trade off somewhere. I want to be the only one loud in my house, tele and amps! haha.

A good neighborhood is a must! I wont expect a quiet one near CBD, but Id like to have a quiet area, more family oriented as we are going to plant our roots there as well. So I think east (camberwell, balwyn and etc) are a good place to start.. I also like the north side as you've mention a 30-35min peak hour drive. thats not too far for me, I also see a lot of houses in Fitzroy area but still kind of expensive, well to me at least, if I add it up all to a monthly basis.

thank you! This helps a lot!

one more thing, is a $400/wk house too expensive? I dont have any idea on the prices there! it's still quite expensive for me though, but there are no listings lower than $380! whew!

20. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Fitzroy is expensive. I am not so good with rental prices but I imagine 400 a week is really cheap? Melbourne is expensive to rent and buy ... will depend if you want an 1-2 bedroom apartment, townhouse or house .
    A 2-3 bedroom house in Preston is around 600 a week which is around 10km past Fitzroy. The equivalent in Fitzroy might cost you a 1000 a week? Someone mentioned glen waverley which is a nice suburb in eastern suburbs. Past balwyn etc that may have better prices.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.