Melbourne, what can I expect from the land down under?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dreamingtele, May 26, 2017.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I can't remember the last time that I saw anything poisonous around here....not even a snake.. maybe an old Goanna lizard, now and then...

I'm surrounded by bush and open country.... I see a lot of Horses and Kangaroos...lots of birds....

nothing that would eat me......

I think you'll be safe,,,, just keep your eye on the two legged variety of critters and you'll be OK...;)

2. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Holic

Melbourne has a population of 4.6 million. It grew fast and is still growing fast, so the road and transport infrastructure, although good, is always behind the demand. Consequently I find it hard work driving there.
    I go over once a year because both my children live there.
    I live in Adelaide which has a population of 1.3 million so it's a breeze to get around.

But otherwise, Melbourne is terrific.

3. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I recently learned that Fender guitars have recently gotten insanely expensive for Aussies.
    Fender Professional Telecaster costs AU$ 3699. That's US$ 2755 at todays exchange rate, vs. US$ 1499 in the USA.

dlew919 likes this.
  4. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I'm in Melbourne and love it. Friendly people, lots to do and the only place to be if you're into music, especially live music and I'm pretty sure you can meet up with like-minded church folk easy enough. Fastest growing city in Australia and the fastest job growth as well- a lot of people moved into Melbourne over the last few years and it is busy on the roads any time of day, any day..feels like it's bursting at the seams right now!
    Guitar prices are a bit steep, I bought a new Gretsch 5420 with case for AU$1400 new recently and not sure how that compares to elsewhere. Plenty of good guitar techs/ luthiers around the place.
    Generally the weather is mild and there's probably only 2-3 months of the year, say June to August where it gets a bit gloomy and the cold winds blow from the south, but we don't get snow in winter. Summer can be very hot but also changes dramatically, so it's not boring! I've spoken to a lot of Americans in recent years who live here now and are very happy.
    I hope you enjoy it!!

5. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Holic

Yes, but that's list price or RRP. They actually retail for around A$2,500 which is US$1,860.
    So US$1499 + import duty and tax = US$1,860 (A$2,500).

6. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Oh no worries. I love coffee. French press is my favorite

7. dreamingtele

Wow. Its like pretty much the prices here.

How about the used market? I wont buy anything super expensive as the future is uncertain. Im planning to get a nice, hopefully new, Squier CVC and Im good. Or maybe a G5420T like what I have here at home.

I have an AmPro here at home and Im not plannig to take it. Those more higher end guitar purchases are when i get settled.

Im interested in builds too, are there good tdpri'ers who do build from scratch?

8. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Living in Melbourne I would suggest the suburb you choose to live is the most important thing .
    Perhaps when you know if this is going ahead, let people know what things you like doing, where your office is, interests, how much travel time you would like and then you can be pointed in the direction of the best suburb to live.

There are some great guitar stores in collingwood / brunswick / Carlton - and a number of builders. Prices are way more then America though.

dreamingtele likes this.
  9. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

You may find driving to be interesting . Downtown Melbourne has trolleys . Making right turns at lighted intersections can be a bit of an adventure until you get used to it . Try to get out behind the black stump because you may not get another chance . If you like wine try to head to the Barossa Valley for some shiraz . You may be able to ski at the Australian Alps at this time of year . Good story to tell the non believers when you return . I would like to return some day . Enjoy !

dreamingtele likes this.
  10. dreamingtele

Thanks for the heads up!

11. trev333

I've been to Sydney and Perth in recent times, though I haven't been to Melbourne for a long, long time...

I probably wouldn't recognise the areas I stayed in or passed through....

even the down the Peninsular and on Phillip Is it would be far different, as far as the buildings go....

The surf breaks would be much the same, it was a lot of rock reef in many places....

12. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

For second hand check out music swop shop:

http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/

They list all their stock online. There are also aussie sites for ebay and Gumtree.

13. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Cracking and addictive store...
    Great area too with found sound and fretted instruments within 200m and clingan guitars a few km away.

I live near there, if you are into cafes, live music, close to the city and can handle some "different cats" it's a great area to live

Steve 78 likes this.
  14. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

The Barossa Valley is in South Australia.

Try the Yarra Valley, it's a bit closer. ;)

Spot on about the Alps though. And it's beautiful snow that shines blue, not like the grey stuff that falls on cities.

15. trev333

16. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

About the same as the Phils.

17. dreamingtele

Thanks for all this guys! Im not sure what the setup of the company Im working for and what kind of benefits I'll receive.

As far as this thread goes, im getting the impression that Melbourne is kind of expensive to live in?

18. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have been to Melbourne twice and I think its a great city. Nice people - great food - easy to get around. If you are coming from the USA - stuff is really expensive comparatively.

I tend to think of Melbourne as a mix of a standard US city and a older European city. Old style with modern appointments. Anyway - I like it.

19. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

all of australia is expensive dreamingtele... i m sure melbourne is very expensive and since you re coming from the philippines you ll probably notice it even more... i m from WA and i now live in CA - USA... every time i go home i can t believe how expensive it is..

good luck with the job / move..

dreamingtele likes this.
  20. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

Oz has many wonderful creatures living within its border ad the waters around Oz. I was very impressed by the Nullarbor, the size of the feral camel population and of course the great salty croc. Kangaroos, Emus and many other creature that dwell there.
    Not to overlook the red back spider and the Inland and Coastal Taipan, the blue-ringed octopus.
    I was thinking of traveling there for a visit maybe take the train from the east to the west. The Indian Pacific railroad seems so exotic.

dreamingtele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.