Melbourne, what can I expect from the land down under?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dreamingtele, May 26, 2017.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

^^ and when you hit Sydney, follow the signs pointing North ... to Brisbane. ;)

2 Headed Goat, Henry and trev333 like this.
  2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I have a good friend fro. the States that went there for school and loved it so much she's still living there almost 10 years later. For those in Oz is getting a custom guitar built cheaper than buying a name brand import? Just curious.

3. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Australia's a great place. Friendly, in our way. I bet you'll like it.

Remember, though, it's not all year-round sunny beaches. The country's a continent that runs from the tropics up north to the colder south, and Melbourne's pretty 'south'.

We're also still a hostage market in many ways, despite the internet.

So, bring your guitars, effects and stuff like that. If your amp uses local current, bring that too. I can't speak for the PI, but compared to the US our prices for musical kit range from merely ridiculous to downright astronomical.

Best to get your cold weather clothes out of storage. Not arctic gear, but cool / wet kit. Think Seattle for winter (not a perfect analogy, but you can see what I'm suggesting). Summer will look after itself.

You'll probably find inner Melbourne accommodation prices to be staggering. For goodness' sake, make sure you and your employer are on the same sheet of music on this. I don't know what gig you're on in the Philippines but, when it comes to an overseas assignment in Melbourne, your pay and allowances comparison is closer to Paris and New York than to Manila.

Plenty of east / southeast Australians here on TDPRI, so if you've got specific questions, fire away.

Good luck!

dreamingtele likes this.
  4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Oh man. Thank you so much! Im still in the beginning stages and nothing is sure yet until the visa comes along.

Hope to meet all of you!

5. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

And then travel west to WA.

dreamingtele likes this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife has about 100 relies (relatives) in Australia, many around Melbourne. This talk about Melbourne being cold in the winter is confusing me, but then I see snow five months of the year!

Oz is generally a great country and love visiting there. Great geography and climate and more importantly, great people. I'd move there if I had the opportunity. Americans, think about it!

Tonetele and dreamingtele like this.
  7. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

My employer in the construction industry sent me to Perth for 2 years back in 2011 and I thoroughly enjoyed the country and it's people. In my experience, the infrastructure industry there is full of people from all continents, so you should have no problem fitting in. I was not in Melbourne, so I can't speak to it specifically. I'm sure it has a better music scene than Perth does.

dreamingtele likes this.
  8. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Melbourne is a wonderful city. The world's most livable, they say. Live as close to the CBD as you can afford.

dreamingtele likes this.
  9. dreamingtele

Im not sure where exactly Im staying, my employer will be the one to determine all of that. hopefully somewhere accessible and cheap

10. BobRob

BobRob Tele-Meister

Rule Number One-watch out for the crocodiles.

Rule Number Two-Stay on the right side of the law or you may be in for a booting from the Prime Minister.

Admittedly, all my knowledge of Australia comes either the Crocodile Dundee movies or from the Simpsons. So the above may no longer be relevant.

richiek65, goonie and badfish_lewis like this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

Hah! Cultural differences can be tricky. When I was backpacking though Oz I met this cute girl who wanted to travel with me. Let's see your map of Tazzie sez I. I need to see what her itinerary is, right? Smack, right across my face!

12. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Women that glow, beer that flows, and men that plunder and chunder.

13. BigDaddyLH

So he's better run, better take cover?

14. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

No

15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Do some research on the Aussie coffee culture. I don't how people like their coffee in the Philippines (instant, drip, espresso-based), but it was quite a shock coming from Canada.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  16. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

This is true. Better pack your Aeropress. Or at least shop for a french press. Here in the Philippines they like instant. So if you order "coffee", they'll bring you something powdered, like Nescafe or Kopiko. I hate to sound like a coffee snob, but I kind of am one, and that's not coffee.

So you have to specify "brewed coffee" or "barako" (Batangas coffee from the bean) here or else they won't know what you're talking about. And even if they do, they probably don't have it. Even at some resorts.

17. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Bucket list Australian Open

Love this ditty by Ali Barter

"New Night"

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

"
    ""IN Melbourne, coffee is king,
    We slurp it in all its forms, from flat white to cold drip — we’re obsessed and we can’t seem to get enough.."""

""During the 1880s, coffee palaces were springing up all over Melbourne and there was more than 50 by 1888 — becoming a popular place to sit and discuss the news of the day.""

I'm sure you'll find great Coffee in Melbourne....;)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...y/news-story/2173120cc61a24361fea94f4da471ef7

19. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't see why no one wants to make sure you know that everything over there wants to kill you or make you really sick...

Nice knowing you...:D

dreamingtele likes this.
  20. dreamingtele

I watch a lot of Discovery Channel and NatGeo. I've seen all the things that are out to kill you in Australia. Hahaha. I'm fine with all the things in the water, but I dont like the poisonous critters. Hahaha

william tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.