Melbourne, what can I expect from the land down under?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dreamingtele, May 26, 2017.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

My company just messaged me on a possible transfer to Melbourne. ASAP. Btw, it might not be for like months or short term. They are discussing on pulling me out and eventually staying there for good.

What can I expect over there?

Of course I have to ask, how are guitar prices over there? I hate to leave my guitars, and I might bring my partscaster or not (so i can buy a new one, lol)

I also will look for a church to serve and play in as I am a music minister here.

Looking forward to going there!

2. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Google tells me the population is up to 4.5 million now. Traditionally it has been a very spread out, low-population-density-for-a-city city but that has been changing a lot in the last 10 years with many apartment blocks being built in the cbd and suburbs so it's getting harder to get around especially in peak hour.

It is a cultured/"arty" city by aussie standards and there is always something to do if you want to see music, art, plays, etc. It is pretty culturally diverse and it isn't too hard to find good Italian, Greek, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, etc. restaurants for example.

It's pretty safe for a city. There are lots of friendly people but also weirdos, racists...like you'd expect anywhere I guess.

I haven't been to the Philippines so I couldn't give you a direct comparison. There have been some recent posts in the Australian Members Club forum on aussie guitar/music shops so you could check some prices online. More expensive than the USA, I can tell you that much :) I'll post some links when I get a chance.

I don't have any experience with the playing in church thing so I can't help there sorry. Do you know what area you will be working/living in? There are some pretty interesting suburbs about and lots of boring ones.

Welcome to my city, I really hope you enjoy it! :)

3. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Expensive to buy a guitar there for sure. More expensive than most places in the west.

Going there from the Philippines is going from a developing country to a western country, not much different in that respect from moving to the USA, UK, Canada, NZ, etc. In other words, totally reliable public services (funded by high taxes), good infrastructure, well-built roads and highways...all things you can't take for granted in many parts of the Philippines.

I imagine the beer is also more varied than San Mig, San Mig Light, and Red Horse (aka "let's get hammered San Mig") :D

4. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Also no martial law! :D

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Coming from the tropics.... you'll find it cold at this time of year.... it can get quite hot in summer though...

4 seasons in one day, they say... even in summer a southerly buster can come in from the ocean and chill the place....

bring a jumper....:)

spoken as a Queenslander... ;)

Henry, Tommy Biggs and Steve 78 like this.
  6. dreamingtele

Hahaha! yes!

I am highway designer by profession, and going there for work is a nice opportunity for me experience-wise. would love to experience this side of the world. I've lived in Guam for a few years and Im used to moving/going to different countries!

teletimetx likes this.
  7. dreamingtele

Thank you for the warm welcome! would check out the australian club! Hope to meet you!

8. dreamingtele

I cant wait! Im excited!

9. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Study up on AFL.....or you'll be an outcast :p

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

A cold city but don't be fooled - it gets up around 40C in summer.
    Great mixture of WW11 immigrants and the food is great. Fashion is also very big there so, if you have a wife/ daughters- careful.

Rents are high- don't expect to purchase unless you are going to spend the rest of your life there.

Great music scene- many pubs have really good shows.

We Adelaidians hate them as much as we hate them- so I am actually praising the city.

Australian Rules Football is a must!!! Do not cheer for Collingwood. Boguns ( white trash) are a feature of some suburbs.The Melbourne Cup is a horserace everyone should attend- it's a world wide spectacular.

Generally a vibrant city with lots to do and see due to the baby boomers of WW11 I mentioned. Hope you like it but be prepared for the cold weather. Cheers Mate!!

dreamingtele likes this.
  11. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

The only thing I remember from visiting as a kid is that there where 1 million black flies.

12. Tonetele

P,S, Your original question- take your guitars with you- you will find all guitars ridiculously expensive in Oz.

dreamingtele likes this.
  13. Tonetele

Hey Trev- I know a security guy who wears pantyhose under his uniform when on night shift. That and a T-shirt, jocks and a uniform and that's for when he's not in the heated car.

trev333 and dreamingtele like this.
  14. dreamingtele

Oh man. I know nothing!

15. dreamingtele

Thanks for all these! Im excited to see this city. I hope it pushes through. I think im staying for good. Depends on what the company wants out of this re-assignment.

16. dreamingtele

I dont know what to bring! Might bring my partscaster as it is the cheapest! But I also want a new guitar. Hahaha. If everything is expensive, how about the builders? Homebrew makers?

17. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Expect to hear "no worries" a lot more than you do now, and make it a part of your vocabulary.

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Take a drive along the Great Ocean Road.... lots of surf....wetsuit country...brrrrr,,,;)

You can gaze out knowing there's nothing between you and Antarctica...except lots of water that is... ;)

19. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I am getting a CV50s BSB just for the Philippines (left my nice guitars in the States). You might be able to get away with taking a nicer axe to Oz, though...not as damp and not as much domestic flight and island hopping there.

dlew919 likes this.
  20. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

As a Sydney sider the best thing to do is drive north. And keep driving north till you hit Sydney. Then you're In for a treat ;)

I jest (a little). Check out the little shops in the alleys. Avoid the tourist places but do go down to st kilda. It is a lovely city. (But Sydney is better ;))

Rustbucket likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.