1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Melatonin for sleep?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kuvash, Apr 2, 2017.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Don't know if there's any relationship between the use of melatonin and melanoma, but I would definitely want to know if there is. It only takes a single cell to become dysplastic and convert. If melatonin has any effect on melanocytes I'd steer clear. OTOH, I know little about it. Maybe a more informed person can chime in.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Try cottege cheese...

3. jsp737

jsp737 Tele-Meister

I've had pretty good luck with Melatonin the last few years. I'm an airline pilot so I end up in a different time zone and different bed about three nights a week and often fly backside of the clock. I come into the hotel all jacked up on cafine from too much coffee at work and then have to get to sleep reasonable quickly. I find that about and hour and a half after taking Melatonin I go to sleep. The downside is it doesn't last that long and I tend to wake up after four hours or so, but it gets me to sleep so it's worth something.
    As far as Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) the FAA prohibits it's use within 60 hours of flying due to its groggy side effects, so that's out for me. I do find it leaves me too groggy to be functional the next day anyway.

3-Chord-Genius and imwjl like this.
  4. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

It makes me groggy in the morning after using it but my wife likes it. I prefer Benadryl.

5. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

I've found melatonin to work more consistently for me than Benadryl. I have 3 issues with Benadryl: 1) I'd guess about 1 out of 2 times it doesn't work. 2) sometimes when it doesn't work it also makes me feel jittery and anxious. 3) I've noticed that it seems to raise my blood pressure but that might only be in combination with other etc drugs.

My girlfriend told me she's had some weird dreams since taking melatonin. I myself have not. Neither of us have had the grogginess but we take a very small dose (approx. 1.25 mg).

6. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Afflicted

I work a rotating shift and use TR Melatonin and Benadryl when changing the sleep schedule. I find the different brands of Melatonin to be vastly different in effectiveness; if you find one that works stick with it. I also like to do an hour of Playstation before I go to bed, it seems to chill me out...

7. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Benadryl worked for a while then I developed an immunity to it & Melatonin never worked for me as far as sleep so - I'm on a prescribed medication for sleep. Unfortunately, there are nights when the prescribed med doesn't do it's job so....I just lie there until I fall asleep on my own (which is very rare).

Unfortunately, though, I still suffer with insomnia really bad some nights. :(

kuvash likes this.
  8. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a huge fan of the 4 - 7 - 8 breathing method for helping me get to sleep. Really seems to work.

I also occasionally use melatonin.

Good luck ya'll....

9. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

+1 Only I also think that the sleep puzzle is more complicated than just melatonin. Melatonin is about what we know now. Most of the things that we know now proves to be BS several decades later.

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting in that it was not lasting for my wife and I, and interesting on the Diphenhydramine and FAA rules. It leaves me too stupid to handle some problems that occur when I'm on call. A scientist friend who struggles with good sleep as I do said it made him so bad at work he wondered if it impaired his driving without really realizing it.

11. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures.
    There's only one sure-fire way to get a good night's sleep that I know of, and it's definitely not for every day use. I would suggest no more than one or twice a week, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

This is a prescription that will knock you out cold, rest assured.

Caveat: You'll have to follow it exactly- if you start doing "I don't like this, so I used this instead", it won't work.

Notes on American cheese: There are many different products that are sold as "American cheese", but they're definitely not all the same. In fact, most of them don't meet the legal requirements to be sold as cheese, so they're labeled as "cheese food", "cheese food product", "cheese spread", etc. Some of them don't even meet the basic requirements to use the word "cheese" anywhere in the name, so they're sold as "American Slices", "American Singles", "American sandwich slices", etc.

In order for this recipe to work, you'll need real American cheese, not the kind that comes in individually wrapped slices. Land O' Lakes or Boar's Head from the deli counter are good. The only real American cheese I've seen in the refrigerated section is Kraft Deli Deluxe.

12. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

It was perfectly fine before, and it's fine now. Better is irrelevant.

13. Mr Green Genes

I agree. I know several people who have struggled with sleep issues who have gone to sleep clinics where they wired them up with a bunch of electrodes overnight and all that cabbage, tried all the prescription meds, etc, and nothing worked... until they started taking a few vitamin and mineral supplements (Magnesium Glycinate, Vit D3, Vit C).

I don't want to fall into the trap of giving medical advice or endorsing specific products on an internet forum, but these three supplements (taken at the same time- the C and D3 help with magnesium absorption) are well worth investigating. A sizeable majority of the population is magnesium deficient, and magnesium plays a large roll in regulating sleep.

I also think that artificial light from various sources (fluorescent, LED, TV, computer screen, telephone, etc) tends to wreak havoc on the circadian rhythm, which in turn causes sleeping difficulty.

There are several free computer programs that can help compensate for artificial light from your computer monitor and phone (click on the RESEARCH tab for a better explanation), and there are also blue-blocking glasses available for this purpose. If you're looking into the glasses, I would suggest doing some cross-referencing on the product. There are certain brands that are better than others, and there are brands that don't do what they claim to as far as blocking blue light.

14. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

In the past while taking Ambian and later Melatonin
    and using a BiPap machine and face mask,believe
    me I do wake up with my shirt all bunched up at
    times.

15. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Is sleeping difficulty bad? I don't know. For social life it is bad. And for me as for a human being?

If I sleep longer one night, then the next night I do not want to sleep. (But why?) No big problem. Organizm knows better. We even do not know why we need sleeping at all.

And... Is it good to have an exact 24 hours rhythm? Exact rhythm is good for machine. Life likes variation.

My rant is over. BTW on my avatar everybody is really sleeping.

16. Mr Green Genes

If you don't think sleeping difficulty is bad, you don't need sleep, and you don't want to sleep, then don't sleep. It's your choice. My post was meant for members other than yourself.

No need to rant, just ignore it and move on to the next thread. There are other members who may or may not find the information helpful.

17. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was thinking about my earlier response to this and it's not complete. I also do a small weight lifting ritual every night before I go to bed. Maybe 5 or 10 minutes long. It's not exercise, not raising heart rate or sweating or anything, and I'm kind of embarrassed to even call it "lifting." Just burning off a little arm energy and releasing whatever stuff gets released when you pick up heavy things. I did that for years before I started melatonin and it helped, but didn't always work. The lifting + melatonin is the magic combo for me.

At this point melatonin without lifting wouldn't work. If I forget to lift and go to bed, I usually have to get back up and lift or I lie there until I do.

kuvash likes this.
  18. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm in the Benadryl (diphenhydramine) camp as well. Having struggled with sleep issues my entire life, I've gone through cycles with pretty much everything -- ambien, melatonin or other herbal stuff, liters of whisky, bottles of wine, fancy teas, working out until I can't move... They all have pros and cons, but for me, Benadryl is the only one that works well enough and doesn't have any cons that affect my life. Melatonin works well, is natural etc., but I always felt drowsy the next day, esp if it didn't knock me out. Don't do ambien or any of those.. trust me, you end up with gaps in your memory - esp. if you mix ambien with alcohol. The working out thing backfires horribly if you can't sleep after. Alcohol worked in my 20's, but my stomach can't handle things like it used to and tolerance buildup is a problem. ... and I only take half a pill of Benadryl (13mg), for whatever reason it works on me. Maybe it will work for you as well

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.