1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Melatonin for sleep?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kuvash, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I take Melatonin a few nights a week. Helps me.

2. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Been doing 10 mgs OTC for about 2 years and dropped to 3 mg. Great dreams and pretty consistent sleep. don't like the idea of being on it long term, but so far I don't have any side effects that I am aware o

3. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Me and my girlfriend use it. Very small doses. I break a 5mg in quarters so like 1.25mg.

There's a time release version I want to try. I have a tendency to wake up after 3 or 4 hours of sleep then can't sleep again for 1 to 2 hours. The time release version may help. We'll see.

4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I have sleep problems. Sometimes works, sometimes not. Therefore... I don't know if it works at all.

kuvash likes this.
  5. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I take a multi-vitamin with melatonin, and only take 1/3 the recommended dosage. The dosage was 3 large vitamins (non prescription) and I felt drowsy the following day. Even 2 was more than I needed, so I'm just taking one about an hour before bedtime.

6. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic

Do try the sustained release. I had the same experience (not so good) as you, but I am very happy with the sustained release version. 2 or 3mg is good.

Doghouse_Riley likes this.
  7. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

How are your vitamin D levels? I was recently diagnosed with a deficiency. I'm getting a solid 6-7 after years of averaging 3- 4 hours of sleep per night.

Mr Green Genes likes this.
  8. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think I had too much. The only time I took it I was out of it the whole next day. Not even groggy like post Nyquil, it was something different, like if I ate weed brownies the night before.

Have you tried upping your exercise? The best way for me to get good sleep is to be tired physically

9. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

If you ever get a really bad cold on the night before opening day of deer season, and are a believer in the Vitamin C deal so are taking multiple Vitamin C tablets (a dozen +) while hanging out at camp and then pretty much get into a total amnesia episode wherein you tell a story and then repeat it verbatim within two minutes, and then snore like you're dying but wake up the next morning to hear all about your "drunken behavior" from camp friends you will realize that melatonin packs a punch.

I mistook melatonin for C and did the above. I quit taking it after that but until that night it seemed to be pretty effective. Just watch yer dosage.

I take some Benadryl but am thinking melatonin is likely as effective and probably safer. What bothers me more than my personal stupid experience is that I never know WTH I'm taking with stuff like melatonin as it is completely unregulated.

boredguy6060 and kuvash like this.
  10. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

I take generic Ambien. Usually one broken in half. I take it more for getting past pain on a low/mid level that prevents sleep. Id rather get hooked on this than pain pills. Not that any doctors will prescribe them anymore.
    The warnings for this Zolpidem sleeper include reports of sleep walking, sleep driving! and sleep SEX!. No luck yet.

kuvash likes this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

It works amazingly well, but only has a half-life of something like 2 hours. So go to bed before it starts wearing off. Also try Benadryl. Neither are habit-forming.

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Benadryl works for me, but really has me dragging the next day. The one time I tried melatonin, (about a month) it didn't seem to have much effect.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't take my word for it, but articles on melatonin contributing to false positives for high sugar levels in your blood, and in some cases actually leading to first stages of diabetes. My wife had been taking it for several years because she's one of those who can't sleep on a regular basis. Recently she was diagnosed with having elevated sugar levels, and is supposed to follow a strict diet regimen then be retested in a couple of months from now. She has been on the diet for one month already.

Since I decided that I might as well be a doctor too, I started researching things that can cause a false positive for diabetes and Melatonin shows up as one of the things that can. I emailed her (from my office to hers about 20 feet) and she was skeptical. Nevertheless ANYTHING that might contribute to her having diabetes she doesn't want anything to do with. She stopped taking melatonin and but still takes something to sleep. I hope it's not worse than what I talked her out of using.

My wife isn't overweight by any stretch of the imagination, and in fact has lost another five pounds on her low card diet. Eating with her has even caused me to shed a few pounds, maybe five or so. I can hastily get that back with one sitting at the donut shop, so it is not catastrophic thus far.

jhundt likes this.
  14. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Melatonin is something that's produced by your body naturally. If you aren't producing enough melatonin, you're better off figuring out why and correcting it at the root of the problem. The post about blue spectrum light sources is pointing you in the right direction.

Also look into magnesium/Vit D deficiency.

The problem with taking melatonin supplements is that your body will stop producing melatonin, which only makes the problem worse in the long run.

SURF and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I've been using cbd oil for a few days, and it seems to work really well. I've tried everything under the sun to help with sciatic bs and getting to sleep and staying asleep, so far, so good, with no side effects.

Doghouse_Riley likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Now that's interesting. I either don't remember that part of the articles I've read, or I didn't read one with a reference to one's body shutting down protection of melatonin if you take melatonin supplements. Makes sense though. The human body is designed to run pretty efficiently all by itself. Most everything we do to "improve" it doesn't seem to work.

Mr Green Genes likes this.
  17. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

CBD may be the new "wonder" drug. I've used it for chronic tendonitis in my shoulder. Works wonderfully.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Bourbontonin ?

Mr Green Genes and xafinity like this.
  19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

In our case repeated use didn't work and for me I was too brain dead for hours into the next day. Same for sleeping pill use.

Sleep has been a serious issue in our house. I've never been a sound sleeper. A family member had cancer and serious complications from hospital infection. One family member surgery 11x. All that while raising 3 kids. With such pressure we could not rely on or take any risks associated with drugs.

My suggestion for sleep is is get properly intense physical and mental activity in your lives. That helps in a lot of ways and helps you limit any drugs to help to something occasional.

Modern nudge helpers are worth considering. Stuff like the smart watch. I do confess that it's done a whole lot more to help fitness and sleep than say take the trash out or finish taxes early.

We still have problems with sleep but the getting physical has helped and really helped a lot in life beyond that. It helps you be way more competitive and persevere when stuff is rotten.

With activity and diet better if we still don't sleep We know we did the right stuff so just get at. The physical and mental strength we've built with the activities help get through stuff.

Finally, get a new mattress or bed. We were stupid to put that off as long as we did.

20. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I hated it. The weirdest dreams ever! I've always been a terrible sleeper. Tried everything. I really did not want to have to take something to sleep. Melatonin just did not work well for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.