Meeting a couple guys to talk about jamming

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Well, I've been in contact with a couple guys looking to jam. We're going to meet mid-week to see if we mesh and talk possibilities, songs, etc. If that goes well I think we're going to try things out Friday night! It's my understanding that one of them has a garage/barn with a PA system (that is huge in my book). I've trolled Craigslist for years looking for this but nothing has ever come out of it for one reason or another. I'm not really used to playing with other folks, and it doesn't sound like they are either. Hopefully it all goes well!
I've already been looking at amps in the event my little blackstar isn't enough for the volume they want to play, but I should be able to mic it or something. Also considering running pedals into the amp as another option (always fun to shop for!)
Anyways, wish me luck this goes well and each of us grows musically.
Best of luck with the Jamming.
Putting your Amp up on a stand or, a box or, table can help a lot.
Give it all you got.
Fortune favors the bold!

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Well, I've been in contact with a couple guys looking to jam. We're going to meet mid-week to see if we mesh and talk possibilities, songs, etc. If that goes well I think we're going to try things out Friday night! It's my understanding that one of them has a garage/barn with a PA system (that is huge in my book). I've trolled Craigslist for years looking for this but nothing has ever come out of it for one reason or another. I'm not really used to playing with other folks, and it doesn't sound like they are either. Hopefully it all goes well!
I've already been looking at amps in the event my little blackstar isn't enough for the volume they want to play, but I should be able to mic it or something. Also considering running pedals into the amp as another option (always fun to shop for!)
Good luck! I just had a similar group chat kicked off. A bassist I know basically added me , a guitarist/vocalist, and bassist to a chat and said, y'all are looking to play. Have at it, and I get 85%. Lol. Sadly though in true fashion, it's been crickets. Sort of like herding cats.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Good luck, and have fun!
One important thing that should help you transition to playing with others: Listen. Listen to what they're doing too, and be ready to adjust and adapt.

old soul

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks for all the positive comments! We all met at a mutual place and talked shop. For thr most part, We are on the same page- nobody is used to playing as a band, everyone wants to learn something, practice/ play together til we feel comfortable to play at a small venue (like a vfw). Singer is up to percussion(I'm remaining positive til proved otherwise)
Decided on hotel California, you don't know how it feels, and come together for our first time.
Jamming tomorrow night! Wish me luck!

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
well are you gonna decide who wears the pant in the family before or after the jaw session about the jam session. have fun .
far side.jpg

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Thanks for all the positive comments! We all met at a mutual place and talked shop. For thr most part, We are on the same page- nobody is used to playing as a band, everyone wants to learn something, practice/ play together til we feel comfortable to play at a small venue (like a vfw). Singer is up to percussion(I'm remaining positive til proved otherwise)
Decided on hotel California, you don't know how it feels, and come together for our first time.
Jamming tomorrow night! Wish me luck!
Good luck! You don't need it - it sounds like you'll all just have fun with it. There's some cool song choices there for a first time together. I'd love to drop in!! Have fun, and let us know how it goes. (You do realise there's a bunch of this living this vicariously through you?!)

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
The band I had the most fun playing in formed quite surprisingly - there were 3 HR Directors in the UK headquarted corp, each one of us covered a part of Europe - 2 of us were based in the UK, the 3rd one in Paris. All recruited by the same VP. To our surprise we found out all of us love blues and rock music and we all play guitars! So we met in the house of the Englishman in London, with our guitars and started to jam. It was so much fun from the very first song! Later on we found out that a sales guy in Germany is a drummer and the HR Manager for France (this one working for another company, for a change) happened to be an outstanding female vocalist (and a stunning beauty, too ;) ). We kept on meeting once a year in one of the European cities (always a different one) for 2 days of unlimited fun - the person living in the city we chosen for a given year was arranging rehearsal room, amps, bed and breakfast and we would cover our travel costs there. We had a couple of gigs and played on our bass player's 50's birthday. It went lon after all of us already left this company where we met for the first time. A fantastic experience - here's a little video we made for the cover of "Ain't No Sunshine" - I played the slide on a MIJ '52 Reissue Tele I was given by the second guitarist.

Apologies for another long story but here are some lessons for you:
- HR guys not always suck ;) ;) ;)
- have fun, whatever it takes - it's all about fun and spending quality time together
- find your role that benefits the group - we started as 3 guitarist and the one with the least proficiency on the 6-string immediately decided to switch to bass.

All the best - have fun!!!

PS. One additional thing - for the start don't aim too high in terms of the complexity of the songs. Try some simple stuff (blues/r'n'r), 3 chord progressions so everybody can feel comfortable and not get lost. It's the simple coaching method - start with the things that will turn out at least passable on the demo recording of the jam. It will boost the ego of everyone and make y'all happy and eager to go on with it. Avoid frustration at all cost. If you feel a certain song is too much of a stretch for even one member of the group (like the pace is too fast or a solo is too complicated, or someone cannot fit into the rhythmic pattern) - drop it immediately. It takes time to form a band if the members are not pro musicians (even if they are it does not alway lead to great results - vide some "supergroups" that didn't work out). Just start with something like "Sweet Home Chicago" or "Mustang Sally" and move on from there. Laugh at mistakes that will inevitably happen. Enjoy - it's one of the best ways to spend our time on this planet :)

Last edited:

Johnnygdub

TDPRI Member
The band I had the most fun playing in formed quite surprisingly - there were 3 HR Directors in the UK headquarted corp, each one of us covered a part of Europe - 2 of us where based in the UK, the 3rd one in Paris. All recruited by the same VP. To our surprise we found out all of us love blues and rock music and we all play guitars! So we met in the house of the Englishman in London, with our guitars and started to jam. It was so much fun from the very first song! Later on we found out that a sales guy in Germany is a drummer and the HR Manager for France (this one working for another company, for a change) happened to be an outstanding female vocalist (and a stunning beauty, too ;) ). We kept on meeting once a year in one of the European cities (always a different one) for 2 days of unlimited fun - the person living in the city we chosen for a given year was arranging rehearsal room, amps, bed and breakfast and we would cover our travel costs there. We had a couple of gigs and played on our bass player's 50's birthday. It went lon after all of us already left this company where we met for the first time. A fantastic experience - here's a little video we made for the cover of "Ain't No Sunshine" - I played the slide on a MIJ '52 Reissue Tele I was given by the second guitarist.

Apologies for another long story but here are some lessons for you:
- HR guys not always suck ;) ;) ;)
- have fun, whatever it takes - it's all about fun and spending quality time together
- find your role that benefits the group - we started as 3 guitarist and the one with the least proficiency on the 6-string immediately decided to switch to bass.

All the best - have fun!!!

Great story. Love it.

A good friend of mine reunites an old band they had in the early 80s once a year. 2 days of recording and jamming. Sounds similar to your setup. He is the only professional musician of the group and some of them are just getting back to it after a long break.

Funny thing is he is a pro muso on a completely different instrument than he plays in this band so he is possibly at a similar level despite being way ahead in general theory etc.

Johnnygdub

TDPRI Member
Love it. Hope it goes well. At a similar place myself. Gigged from about 1981 to 1995. Toes firmly back in the water now. It's great to be able to just enjoy it. And I think you found the key.

Play with guys who have similar ambitions. It's very frustrating for pro musitians who are trying to make a living to play with losers like me and also frustrating for me to get shouted at by a pro because I don't have 20 songs learned off in 3 weeks.

We all feel we are the weakest member in the band (Possibly?) but that position is really a privilege. The worst player always learns the most. Providing they are willing and able.

old soul

Tele-Afflicted
I should be able to play through everything a couple times after work. I'd like to try out the harmonica parts of 'you don't know how it feels' once or twice but we'll see if there's time. All around I feel good about things. Exciting!

old soul

Tele-Afflicted
Well, I survived our first jam! It was fun! We had a issue of vocal levels being too high, but that was the only real hurdle. I don't know exactly why, but in the end we slippeda beer koozie over the mic and that brought it down to about where we wanted it. The only thing running through the pa was vocal and an app called jamzone that allows you to take out different instruments, so we really just played the bass and drum tracks to have a 'backing band'. We only got to play you don't know how it feels and hotel California, but played each about 5 times. Recorded some on a portable recorder and listened back a lot and you know, we sounded ok. Not perfect, but much better than I expected. We will ad come together next week and go over the 2 we did tonight. All around, I think everyone had a good time. Thanks for all the advice and feedback!

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
Congrats! Glad for you it gave y'all a lot of fun. Hotel California is not the easiest song I can think of so if you're moderately satisfied with the outcome it tells me the skills are there and it's just a question of time for you to sound like pros. In such case disregard my tips to start with easy 3 chord progressions :D

I miss jamming and having a band so much that I wholeheartedly envy you (in a positive way, for sure) :D

Keep on rockin'!

old soul

Tele-Afflicted
This things taking shape! Singer was sick last Friday so the other guitar player and myself got together for a couple hours and played. It was great! Then last night the singer texts that he got a reply from someone who wants to play bass! We're meeting him tomorrow to get a feel, then try to get together Friday and try things out.

playforfun

Tele-Afflicted
Ok so far so good. Now it’s time to set the rules. These were our rules from the beginning and we still quote them from time to time. Feel free to use these. 1) we must have fun. 2) we must not suck. This has been our fail safe when it gets tense or frustrating.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Ok so far so good. Now it’s time to set the rules. These were our rules from the beginning and we still quote them from time to time. Feel free to use these. 1) we must have fun. 2) we must not suck. This has been our fail safe when it gets tense or frustrating.
Very good rules!