Meet Quark: A Potential Disaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ripthorn, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

So I'm about to leave on a 15 hour road trip for the Thanksgiving holiday, so my mind naturally turned towards travel guitars. As I thought about it, I decided that travel guitars suffer from at least one of the following shortcomings:

1. They are hideous

2. They don't actually get compact enough

3. You still need an amp

So I decided I wanted to see if I could rectify that. This became one of those ideas that gets stuck in my head that I just have to do. So I started with some basic design requirements and got to work with no design inspiration other than the mechanical aspects of it. So some of the wacky things about this build:

1. Make it look not hideous (I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but let's be honest, some designs just suck)

2. Make it fold without removing neck screws, etc. As it sits right now, I should be able to get it into a 7x19 envelope all folded.

3. Build in an overdrive (with switch), cab sim, and headphone amp that feeds a separate jack from the amp out jack

I also decided to make it headless and I'm going to use leftovers and scrap wood, since this could be a huge disaster. Then there are the unique mechanical aspects:

1. Have wings that fold out instead of metal or plastic shapes that are removable (don't want to keep track of a bunch of separate pieces). These will nest inside matching routes on the back of the body when not in use.

2. Folding the neck will use a fixed pivot and a separate locking pin, both in the heel of the neck

3. If needed, I have a mechanism design for an extendable forward strap "horn", but I doubt I will need it.

So, without further ado, here is Quark (and not the Star Trek character, I can see that one coming a mile away). I chose the name because the quark is the subatomic particle from which protons, neutrons, and electrons are composed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I poked around my stash and found a quartersawn sycamore board that is already slotted for the 24 inch scale length, and radiused to boot! I also have a stash of quarter sawn doug fir, so that's what the neck will get.

[​IMG]

The body will also be quarter sawn doug fir. This guy is going to weigh next to nothing!

[​IMG]

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Quark...also that yoghurty stuff Germans drink.

I_build_my_own likes this.
  3. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Not all of them:D

4. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Really nice!

Looks are definitely a matter of taste - about 75% of people think the below design is ugly as sin! But this was my attempt to tackle the same problem (just a render for now - I do plan to make one soon).

[​IMG]

My original idea was that the treble "horn" triangle thing could detach and be stored separately in the case, and that this might bring ergonomic options attaching it in different places to have the guitar sit or balance a certain way.

Like with your concept, I realised just how small you can make a guitar if you basically cut the body off straight after the bridge and omit the headstock. To the point that I figured I easily had enough room to make it an extended multiscale. I think the above render is 26.5"-24.5" bass to treble.

I really like the idea of incorporating an amplifier as well! I can't wait to see where this takes you!

5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I would think that this could largely be a "length" exercise if the body can be engineered to be able to fit the intended electronics while staying small and simple. Going headless like you intend eliminates part of the "delicacy" issues at that end and a simple body that's just wide enough to permit holding the instrument comfortably while sitting down also keeps the weight to a minimum. Use a single pickup positioned for maximum tone flexibility...electric sound from clean to hard-core with the integrated overdrive and perhaps a piezo under the bridge for acoustic like tones if that will work. (I'm speculating there) Making the body rectangular-ish might not be as fancy, but you eliminate the complexity and weight that the folding wings bring. that said, your body design is probably a lot more comfortable using a strap for obvious reasons.

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Well... if you like it.... but to me... your design doesn't fit premise #1 :confused:

7. I_build_my_own

Now that we have established that “Quark” is some form of milk beyond is supermarket expiration date, kind of wanna be cheese - would you consider the name again - it could come across kinda cheesy :D:D (no science, not even google-ing was applied to that statement ) :D

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

mmm - it does have some 'strangeness' and 'charm'.

crazydave911 and El Famoso like this.
  9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Lepton?

10. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

While I admit it isn't everyone's cup of tea, the travel concept can be limiting. I wanted it to work sitting or standing, but be compact. Any way you slice it, this is a crazy idea I'm going to try.

crazydave911 and Peltogyne like this.
  11. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

crazydave911 and beyer160 like this.
  13. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

Will it have a piezo in the bridge? If so, it might have the dreaded piezo "quark."

crazydave911 and I_build_my_own like this.
  14. I_build_my_own

That fretboard looks amazing

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Just buy a Strobel.

16. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Never heard of them before, but the whole point of this is to try something pretty far outside the box. Sure, I could buy one, but why, when I can tru something that could be an epic failure :)

17. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

This is cool. I neeeeeed one of these.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Wow, what a trip down amnesia lane! I was bummed when Quark was cancelled.

Barncaster, Rockhead and crazydave911 like this.
  19. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Quark was a show? Never knew. However, I've got a couple degrees in physics, this explains all the nerdy names of my guitars.

20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah me too.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.