1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Medium gain pedal for dirty amp

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telereissue, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

2. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

The best kept secret that I've only just learned: An EQ pedal is the best overdrive you've never heard of. Look around for one that has a reputation for low noise. With it, you can shape your tone to how you like it and what the amp wants to get jacked with, then run that volume slider up until it gooches out nice and pretty-like.

There was some YouTube show that had an episode about EQ pedals standing in for overdrive, and it opened me up to a whole new world. I can't find it for the life of me now...

3. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=foK6OfdEve0

edvard likes this.
  4. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

OK, that was a good one, but not the one I had in mind. Thank you for finding that one though, because hitting that video popped up the one I was looking for in the side bar:

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've got a Marshall Origin 20 that I mostly run at least partially overdriven.

IME, the Naga Viper works well for the brighter and looser thing, and is maybe just a bit less loose than using the amp's built in boost function.

To get the lows acceptably tighter, I use an OD pedal. Something like the SD-1 is probably fine, but I prefer a little more low end than it provides, and I actually don't really care for the SD-1/TS tone circuit in this scenario - I just want an OD where I can adjust the amount of treble that gets rolled off.

Also IMO/IME - I do run the OD with a little bit of drive/gain/clipping. To my ear, this is the actual best combo, along with how the amp is distorting on its own. IOW, I haven't had the best success just pommeling the front end, regardless of whatever subset of frequencies it is (things end up being too loose and/or bright).

6. RobSzat

RobSzat TDPRI Member

JHS Kilt, I feel like it’s always my overdrive answer. Gain knob used in conjunction with the three switches gives it all of the versatility you could want, and adding the little remote makes it go crazy.

Its a clone of the xpandora Billy Gibbons is known to use, which means it should sound killer through that magnatone!

telereissue likes this.
  7. beeflin

beeflin TDPRI Member

I use an Analog Man Beano Boost on the Mid setting. Perfect for stepping forward for a solo.

bluesholyman likes this.
  8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver.

9. tomb68

tomb68 TDPRI Member

10. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

EQ pedal is a great call! I'm also partial to the 1st generation Fultone FullDrive 2 if you can find one (not the later MOSFET or other variants)

kurtmanifest1 likes this.
  11. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

With my Bassman, a Rat pedal or Prince of Tone work well to add some compression and push the amp. The Rat tightens the bass nicely too. An MXR 10-band is good to tighten up bass but doesn't add compression unless I really push the level.

12. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Didn't Paul C design the Tim/Timmy pedals to be used with a Marshall amp? I'm thinking a DOD OD250 or SD-1 might also be good.

13. gba1968

gba1968 TDPRI Member

My 'go to' pedals (used in conjunction with a Marshall Jubilee head) are the Keeley modded TS9 Tube Screamer, or the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, Can't praise these two highly enough!!

14. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

Mullard ECC83's (12ax7) preamp tubes in the amp (NOS preferable), and a good rectifier tube (Mullard or Genelex).
    Tubescreamer/Maxon 808, discussing mods and specific chips is too much to go into here.
    Dallas Arbiter Rangemaster (hard to find originals $$$, but reissues and clones are available)

I sometimes use a Marshall 1980's UK-made Guv'nor into my Dual Rectifier, Heartbreaker, or especially the Blackstar. I also have a Blackstar Pure Valve OD pedal that sounds great. It's all about tweaking and dialing in the tone I want and writing it down or marking the equipment's sweet spot.

Thanks for the EQ suggestion. I do most of my playing "in the box" now, but it's fun to let it rip with the analog gear occasionally.

15. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Not sure just how much it is actually like a JTM45. It looks like it's SS recto vs. tube recto? I can't find any info regarding whether or not it has a choke. In the event it doesn't, in conjunction with the pair of EL84 power tubes, I'm guessing it's prone to be a bit looser than an actual JTM45.

IME, no choke + lower output power tubes is a bit trickier to keep the low end tight on, even with SS recto, fixed bias, and negative feedback.

telereissue likes this.
  16. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

Check out the "Timmy" pedal. Also the Analogman TS9 with the silver Mod.
    And the BB preamp overdrive
    All of these are great pedals to have around.
    I have an Analogman King of tone serial number 22
    and that's a really great sounding pedal.
    You also might want to check out the Cali76 compressor pedal.
    The Cali76 sounds amazing!

Good luck in your search!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    telereissue likes this.
  17. Don Spagnoli

Don Spagnoli TDPRI Member

I'm partial to the Ibanez Tube Screamer, it offers a tight gain and good breakup. I actually am still using the one I bought in 1981. Indestructible and sounds great.

18. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

The Tube Screamer has made a believer out of me. Far more versatile than I could have imagined. Works very well with my Simul Classed Mesa Boogie MKIIB.

19. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I really like the J Rockett Archer pedal for that exact application. I much prefer it to a tube screamer.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

why do you run your tuner after your wah?

Bitchin' amp. I want one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.