Meditation.....who here meditates regularly?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boneyguy, Oct 12, 2019.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

About 3 months ago I bought a used Bose system for $80...tiny little speakers and a sub-woofer. I've installed that in the bedroom and we sleep with the sound of gentle rain and wind in trees at night now. I always loved that experience of hearing rain at night and then waking up to a clear, (maybe) sunny day....that's what I'm trying to recreate and I think it helps.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

There is an amazing outdoor Buddhist facility near here that we visited as tourists that was extremely calming just walking the grounds. This thread has convinced me to go back for another visit.

boneyguy likes this.
  3. boneyguy

The method I'm using, as I understand it, is a type of transcendental meditation...just not the one with the registered trademark. My understanding from some reading was this group began as ex-TM people....don't know how accurate that is..? Anyway, it's cost me $25 for a PDF manual with lessons which are purposefully very repetitive because it's actually very simple and an audio file.

I've also read some things that suggest what you are saying about the mantra is accurate.

Anyway, today is only day 4 and I'm determined to keep at it....each of the sessions I've done so far have been very different experiences from each other.....I've had some very nice sensations and a sense of inner calm at times....that doesn't last of course...my brain likes talking to itself....but, as you know, the idea is not to force any particular experience to happen...just notice the thoughts and gently draw your attention back to the mantra...or even stay with the thoughts for a moment if you must...these thoughts and body twitches etc. are said to be stress leaving the nervous system and so are a good thing.....no judgement about good/bad, right/wrong, better/best....just keep it light, innocent and gentle in feeling....this is what I'm learning.

4. boneyguy

Meditate.........HARDER!!!

If you like I can send you the link to what I'm now practicing....it's said to be a type of transcendental meditation from ex-TM folks I think I read... maybe? Seems to be a well regarded course and there's a fair bit of discussion about it online on different forums with lots of positive comments. I'm only on day 4 so I can't say it's changed my life yet but I've had some deeply enjoyable moments so far....enough to continue. Anyway, $25 for PDF instructions/lessons and an audio file. Also, there will be lots of affordable mediation classes in your area I'm sure...if you are inclined to be a group/class sort of guy.

bloomz and Mike Eskimo like this.
  5. boneyguy

That's a tough thing Larry....constant pain. I wish I could offer you something that would change your experience. I'm rooting for you and there are LOTS of people here that are on your side and want to see a change in your experience with pain....it must be a very difficult journey to be on and I'm always impressed at the courage and openness you display when talking about your current situation.

stevemc and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Overseas once I spoke to a Catholic priest that was in a 12 step meeting, he was thick Irish accent, it was said he was sort of a Catholic Buddhist because he meditated a lot.

I told him I struggled with my mind wandering, he asked (with his thick accent) "Tell me son, are ye a Christian?"

I said no not particularly I try to see good in all religions.

His answer was "Good, it's easier if yer not."

Precious answer I still think.

Wait, maybe the "I think" is the root of my whole problem? LOL

Seriously my Primary Care Doctor recommended meditation to me - unusual for a Doc methinks, but good stuff indeed.

7. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Please - link it here. I did a TM thing in London back when I was 19 - was given the mantra and all that stuff - and I took it nowhere (tho of course I remember it still today) The one I did was somehow connected to the Beatles Maharishi dude. Honestly it seemed contrived, for lack of a better word - but it was when the Beatles were into it. (And it seems George was the only that that got somewhere with it)

"My Sweet Lord" is a wonderful song.

It does seem to "take so long."

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My actual life's philosophy perfected by ME at no charge to myself is:

If someone is going to have to feel bad in a situation I'd rather it be anyone but me.

If you think you're better maybe you are better. I'm pretty sure if you hadn't felt better you wouldn't have gotten your money back. Then of course you would have felt bad. The guy with your money in his pocket was gonna feel good either way.

9. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was part of a Soto Zen Buddhist community for many years before I moved to DC. I don’t consider myself a Buddhist anymore, but going deeper into yoga has brought me back around to a daily meditation practice (and I can hear my teacher saying “See? You ARE still a Buddhist!”). I’m usually up at 4:30 to do pranayama (breath practice) and seated meditation for about half an hour before making coffee and waking Mrs Basher. It’s really one of the best things.

bloomz likes this.
  10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I do. It has saved my life. Honest.

11. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Your whole focus here seems to be money. When everything is about cost, nothing can be about value. If money is what you value most, then sure, you wouldn't risk money to learn something that could improve your (non-monetary) quality of life. But then, what are old whiskey, young women, and fast horses? None of it comes with a money-back guarantee. I knew it might be one of those things I tried and didn't keep doing past a certain point. It was worth it for me to find out.

I essentially paid for an education. Sometimes education pays for itself financially, sometimes it doesn't. But that's never been the main point of education. I've been better for every educational experience I've had - some have led to monetary return, some have not. I could have paid for an intensive course in photography, or racing sports cars, or a week long guitar retreat, or any one of a number of things that might or might not have ultimately been worth the money looking back from 20-30 years down the road. But it was money I was willing to spend to learn about something that seemed like a knowledge of it could enhance my life. The only potential downside was a waste of money, the potential upside was much greater than that. To me.

For me, it's been very valuable. As I noted above, it's not some magical thing that leaves me elated and blissed out. But when I DON'T do it for any significant period of time, I really feel it the downside of added stress and tension, a somewhat more scattered and frenetic thought process much of the time. And I miss it and can't wait to get back to it. It gets me to a better place mentally and emotionally than I'd be without it.

The money spent is a distant memory. It would be whether I'd stuck with the practice or not. The education would have been worthwhile regardless, but obviously more worthwhile if it was something I valued enough to stay with it. So far, so good.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    bloomz and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Actually my whole focus was on the lyrics from an old Tom T Hall song. Where when he was in search of the meaning of life an old timer with a knife convinces him that it is faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money!

13. Toto'sDad

Those who wish to can believe in mumbo jumbo if you wish, and more power to you if you derive some benefit from it. It's not something I put much stock in myself. I would maybe trade the empty water bottles I'm saving for dose of it, but that would be about it.

PS
    I just cashed my bottles in so I only have about a quarters worth of them.

14. Toto'sDad

That's my point about the self awareness hoopla. If it really worked it would work for and help Larry. It helped someone over yonder, and someone last week, but what about the guy that needs it right now?

black_doug likes this.
  15. CigBurn

CigBurn TDPRI Member

I've practiced since the mid-seventies, a bit before I started Kenpo and then Chen Tai Chi, Pa Kua, Hsing I, etc.. etc.

It's about the journey not the destination, for me anyway. I like to think that it's helped make a better me (Yeah that's arguable) out of the raw materials that I am.

As to efficacy or immediate results for certain specific circumstances or issues. If that's what you're looking for or think that's how it works, well you're likely going to be disappointed.

basher likes this.
  16. boneyguy

Yup, that's a valid criticism I suppose and every individual is an individual case. I haven't gone looking but I'll wager my lunch money that there are MANY testimonials out there from people with some form of chronic pain who have absolutely benefited from meditation and other "hoopla". Many medical doctors 'prescribe' it to people with many illnesses including pain issues. I wish I could remember the exact details but I heard on NPR radio, maybe a year or so ago, a statement from CDC in Atlanta (who I would assume is a VERY conservative institution being all sciencey and medical and such) and the statement said that over 90% of ALL disease is related to stress....I can't remember the exact figure but I do recall it was over 90%. That's a pretty interesting and alarming statement!

Now, does that mean everyone with a problem is going to have their troubles dissolved by stress reducing practices such as meditation.....I don't think that's how it works. The human mind/body is a complex thing and the success of interventions can depend on things like an individual's belief systems, attitudes, past experiences and those 'soft' sort of things that typically aren't considered sciencey. And it would appear that there is LOTS of good science that backs up what I'm saying. I'm not a scientist however.

But, I think a healthy and questioning skepticism is not a bad thing.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Not Lt. Columbo... (see 5:14 time mark)

18. Toto'sDad

I'm not really picking on folks who meditate, it's just that there's always something that is going to HELP someone. My golfing buddy was carrying around two forty ounce bottles of water at the golf course one day, I asked him what he was doing with those? He said, well you know my whole family and I are doing this flush thing, it will do all kinds of wonderful things for you, you just have to drink 95 ounces of water every day. The next time I played golf with him, I asked; Where's your water? He said, shut up and hit the ball. If I drank 95 ounces of water every day, I'd have to invest in a catheter system if I ever wanted to sleep all night again.

I think that if something works, it works. If you have to prove by some sort of consensus that it works, I don't think it's gonna hold up. If when you flushed your toilet it only worked sixty one point seven percent of the time, I don't think that would be acceptable to most people. I don't think meditation, or even my buddy's flush system hurts anything, but I'm not sure it helps anything either. As to testimonials, Hank Haney offers up testimonials galore for all those contraptions that he pedals that are supposed to help your golf swing. They might even work on the range, but out on the golf course, well, if they worked EVERYONE would have one.

Finally, from my own experience of walking to lose weight it absolutely works. When I walked a minimum of five miles a day, and up to thirteen miles a day, I lost weight, I lost quite a bit of weight. However staying dedicated enough to keep walking proved to be too much for me. Now I walk 1.2 miles every evening, I don't lose weight, but it keeps MY plumbing working.

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

interesting! what led me initially to be interested in meditation and contemplation was reading 'the seven storey mtn' by thomas merton.. it led me to visit and spend time at gethsemani in Kentucky...

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not sure where the suggestion that meditation is a pain killer came from?
    If you have muscle tension based pain, it might help, but meditation is not a cure for physical chronic illness.

One might also note that if half the people that take guitar lessons don't learn to play guitar, what does that tell us about guitar lessons?

stevemc and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.