Meditation.....who here meditates regularly?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boneyguy, Oct 12, 2019 at 3:57 PM.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Let me, somewhat optimistically, begin with what I don't want for this thread: 1)I don't want to turn this into which forms of meditation are 'better' than others sort of thread so I won't bother declaring what exactly I'm doing. 2)I'm not looking for mental health advice. So, we'll see how this goes....after-all, this is the internet and humans are involved... :)

I've started a meditation practice in the last few days. I will say I'm practicing on my own but am considering joining one of the several/many local groups in town. I am following a specific protocol that is quite simple and straightforward...it was a downloaded course that, from my research, seems legit and well regarded. It involves a mantra. It seems the main focus throughout the instructions is this: don't force anything...don't aspire to have any particular experience while meditating...and don't worry about your experiences while meditating....just meditate and you will get results. I'm only on day 3 but I feel like I can and want to commit to this practice...mostly for stress relief in general..overthinking mind and insomnia issues.

I meditated regularly in high school for a couple of years while practicing martial arts....I'm 61 so that's a few years ago.

Anyway, I'm not really looking for advice per se but am interested in other's experiences with regular meditation and how you value it in your life.

Thanks

mrmousey, idjster, bloomz and 12 others like this.
  2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I meditate at least once a day, it's probably the one thing that has kept me from murdering someone more than anything else.

3. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob TDPRI Member

Ruminating maybe, sometimes just regretting. Actually, I have no idea what meditating really is.

Alamo, jimash, catdaddy and 3 others like this.
  4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

I regularly practice tai chi, sometimes described as a moving meditation. Been doing it nearly 30 years and still feel like a beginner.

5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I always make self time during the day to think through issues and to calm me down , I find I dont rattle as easy as I used to , if stressed I may use repeatative cyclic music to help divert issues , so far it has worked for me.

6. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I have a little routine, it's probably more a 'mindefullness/gratude' reset than meditation, but the results are similar.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Transcendental Meditation off and on since 1973. More Tai Chi than TM over the last 10 years. I sorta abuse TM for eliminating headaches, de-stressing and acquiring quick energy.

telemnemonics, rze99 and Blue Bill like this.
  8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I do it pretty regularly. Great for increasing my serenity level...

ladave likes this.
  9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Works for me. I started TM in 73 too, back in high school. I've sat at least once daily since then, skipping a day here and there. 15-20 minutes and my batteries are charged. Sounds like you are on the right track. I also started Tai Chi in '95 or so, but don't practice much anymore.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I do a form of meditation...really a reflection on spiritual/religious things that add positivity to my life.

At the worst parts of my life, I would often reflect what was going wrong, and I wasn’t meditating/reflecting on positive things.

boneyguy likes this.
  11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I’m a big proponent of meditation, particularly simple mindfulness practices.

That said, I don’t do it regularly. For the very reasons I should do it regularly.

boneyguy and ladave like this.
  12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I used to smoke a bit until about 9 years ago when it got harder to get.
    It was a very pleasant and relaxing ritual. It also used to make concentrating for long periods of time on learning new songs or doing menial jobs around the house much easier.
    Other than that i've never tried to just sit and meditate or get in the lotus position etc.

When I want to relax or tune out i'll just put on a movie, listen to a few records or noodle on my guitar.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 6:58 PM
    Kriticaster and 57fenderstrat like this.
  13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

I focus daily as needed..a pause in a way

have to think through , Company stuff & always think of what song is going to be done in studio..for me or others. Then always on current project in the works. It calms me & sets goals to meet daily instead 0f too much. that with some Martial Arts keeps me sharp...

been doing the MA thing since young..the mind control..the calm but the preparation for the strike in a way..mind & body together..ready to go

14. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I do serious daydreaming when I bike ride or workout- about 6 days a week on average. I don't know if it's "meditating" exactly, but with my medical background I think of it as a kind of "mind lavage".

15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife tried to get me into centering.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I strive to pray everyday. The times when I fail that are simply because of ego/willfulness

17. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Started 30 minutes a day in 2004, then in 2015 went to an hour in the morning and an hour before bed. It has changed my life, my personality and views, all for the better. I'm very relaxed and at ease as a result of meditation. Things that once bothered me and/or provoked me into reacting don't phase me anymore. My internal environment (read: mind) is quieter. I frequently experience moments of stillness. It's great, it really is. It has made me aware of non verbal mental activity that I can choose to respond to, or ignore. I am aware of motivations and intentions as well as mental feeling, and can let them pass without engaging them.

I value it highly, and it is part of the central fact of my life (the other part being the Dhamma)

Kriticaster, boneyguy and Obsessed like this.
  18. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I try, maybe a couple/3 times a week for the last 4-5 months

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I took 2 mindfulness courses through work and really got a lot from both. I practice the things I learned at least once a day usually for an hour. sometimes twice a day.

If, for whatever reason, I wake in the night, once I realize I'm 'just awake' I go ahead and do what I learned... really it is mostly about breathing and being in the moment and having that moment...

It is pretty cool, I can even practice in traffic.... good for you and however you find something that helps... good on ya!

20. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

It's legit - and it doesn't have to be religious/spiritual unless you want it to be. Would recommend. Plus one for focusing on breathing, if that's what you're into.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.