Media Pack?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by HenryAdams, Nov 21, 2010.

1. HenryAdams

HenryAdams Banned

Hey Lover of the Tele:

What do you all put into your media packs? Let me give you some background info:

The scene: Small univeristy town (about 30,000, add another 30,000 students), and a very lively music scene. Lots of bars and performance spaces, and it seems like new acts are welcomed. No one (except for a very few) makes much $$, but if all you want to do is play, it seems like a welcoming atmosphere.

My band: 4 of us, 3 teachers, and me, a grad student. We're not looking to make much $$, but we are all fairly serious amateurs. We've got about 2 hrs. of music, about 95% original. We play rock and roll, with a heavy country and blues accent. I guess that makes us Americana. We're looking to play out once a month or so, depending on schedules.

Given all of this, how should I approach local venue owners? We have a demo cd with 6 songs, a facebook and myspace page. Should I just show up and drop off the cd? Call on the phone and give them our myspace page? Put together a fancier media kit with photo, set list, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TEAM LANDRETH

TEAM LANDRETH Tele-Meister

If you drop off a CD, make sure your web sites are listed. Some local bars here book their rooms through Facebook. ( the world just ain't the same ) It would seem you have what you need to generate interest, so dog 'em until you get a gig. If you're good, more gigs will follow. If not...

3. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

+1 with T L. A decent photo is always helpful, it separates you from the wannabes. We've found that live video on our website has been way more effective than a CD demo and way less expensive to produce ($150 camera rental versus $1300 CD production). Plus a proper business card never hurts either. We also use a pro printed media kit, it does impress to a certain extent - again, separating you from the wannabes and making you look more polished and professional. Add the photo, business card, and your own website when money allows.

Go into the venues with a smile, a firm handshake, and sit down with the owner or manager and talk about your band. Decide what it is that's unique and exciting about you and talk it up. It's amazing what can be done if you're confident, affable, and flexible.

Check out my band, Groove Hammer's website at www.groovehammer.ca to see how we've approached this ourselves. BTW, we're all day jobbers too (I'm a teacher myself).

Good Luck!

Attached Files:

4. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Ad Free Member

There's a fairly recent thread on this forum with lots of good info ....

5. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

I'd check with the venue in question--many don't want to deal with physical media, they just want a link to a site with music clips, a few pictures, list of upcoming dates, etc.

6. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

really cool swag.

mine are bowling towels.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.