Mechanical Rattles in New Prod. Tubes

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by ocduff, Sep 1, 2017.

1. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Agree. What I can't tell, definitively, from the text on the site or the markings on the tubes is whether they run that full battery of tests (e.g. - tap test, etc.) on every single tube. I can lob a question via email and see what kind of response I get...will post if/when I hear back. :)

ocduff likes this.
  2. ocduff

ocduff TDPRI Member

I'm not saying I expect NOS level quality for $40 a "matched" pair of modern tubes - I just don't think tubes should have mechanical rattles and be sold at any price.

So TAD has had mechanical rattles for me right out of the box. So not to be a pessimist but TAD may be matching their tubes but dang - how many tubes do they make a day? 1000? 5,000?

Further, if tubes were double the price and were robustly built, stringently tested, burnt in and properly tested and matched, I think many of us could live with that. Especially given most guys out there aren't techs and biasing an amp is expensive and time consuming and is "down time" for their equipment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.