Meatloaf went all the way last night, paradise, no dashboard light...

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
He "sang" at our AFL Football Grand final a few years ago. Many wondered why the AFL hired him as it was not the loaf's best performance. Seems he invented a new key to sing in.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
And of course the obligatory...

1642854282979.png

Sorry!

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My wife is a fan, wrong era for me but she had me watch a couple of live clips recently and he was quite the showman.
Acted in 50 movies and TV shows too which I didn't know.
Boy George posted this morning that Meatloaf once "turned me upside down in a Chinese restaurant".
So there's that!

The videos I saw recently surprised me with how good the band actually was, not sure who but there was some really good guitar playing and overall tight solid musicianship.

RIP Marvin
I bought the cassette when the album came out in 1977 (?).

radtz

Tele-Holic
Well, theres no accounting for...

"Bat out of hell"? Owned it, played it a lot. Studied it. Learned things.

Fair enough.

Furthermore...
"Paradise by the dashboard light" might be a bit of over the top dramatic cinema, but...

I do recall a long period of time (decades?) where if it was included at the right time in a live set and done even remotely well, the crowd was almost surely rocking and singing along all the way home.

Yep.
No accounting for...

Even a half decent dj knew when to toss that one into the list.
Back in the 80's in the midwest, the bar dancefloor will fill when Paradise came on. Everybody would sing along, me included, and I was a mostly a metalhead.

fretWalkr

Tele-Holic
His music was never my thing. He always sounded like a theatrical singer to me and a little of that goes a long.

I did find it interesting that Bat Out of Hell was produced by Todd Rundgren as a Bruce Springsteen spoof. After selling millions of records I guess the jokes on Todd. RIP Meat.

Last edited:

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
He was a VERY theatrical singer/performer. In excess. That was his thing.
Over the top. It worked for him.
Musically, not my thing either. But I still found it fun and I appreciate it for what it is. Escapism perhaps. Often perhaps it is fun mainstream pablum that is at the same time, making fun of mainstream pablum. Earnest self parody perhaps.

staxman

Tele-Afflicted
I don’t think anyone involved with the album foresaw its huge success:

Even the musicians working on the album had their doubts. Kasim Sulton, who played bass on the sessions (he was in Todd Rundgren's band Utopia), told Songfacts: "Through the whole process I remember distinctly saying to myself, 'This is just the biggest joke that I've ever been involved in. I cannot believe that these people got a record deal! This is just crazy. I'll never hear this record. It's just a joke. It's a comedy record.'"

Last edited:

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I saw him live back in '83. Good show, great voice, excellent band. I only really know the BOOH album, I liked it then, and still appreciate it.
RIP Mr. Loaf.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
He "sang" at our AFL Football Grand final a few years ago. Many wondered why the AFL hired him as it was not the loaf's best performance. Seems he invented a new key to sing in.
Not one of his best days, we all have them.. I think his voice had gone at that stage

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
His music was never my thing. He always sounded like a theatrical singer to me and a little of that goes a long.

I did find it interesting that Bat Out of Hell was produced by Todd Rundgren as a Bruce Springsteen spoof. After selling millions of records I guess the jokes on Todd. RIP Meat.

Wow, so much I never knew about the history.
Hilarious and makes me like BOOH more is the fact that Rundgren decided to produce it out of his own pocket not because he thought it was particularly good, but to make fun of Springsteen.
That is cool.
Then all the crap Todd went through trying to get it distributed, only wanting his money back on studio bills, didn’t even negotiate production royalties just a percentage of artist royalties.

This seems useful to those who don’t think it sold that well: Rundgren was finally getting his first check for the album which again was zero production royalties and only a small cut of artist royalties.
How much was that first check?
Like $750,000.00!

Not a bad first check for an album that some feel was more hype and not really a big seller?

Really funny and ironic that nobody thought they were making any kind of commercially viable product.