Meatloaf went all the way last night, paradise, no dashboard light...

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The guitar player was Todd Rundgren. In reading about Meatloaf's death this morning I was surprised to learn that the female vocalist on "Dashboard" is not Karla DeVito, who was in the video. It was Ellen Foley, who went on to have her own career in music and a stint in acting, including the television show "Night Court."

Meatloaf sang three or four songs on Ted Nugent's "Free For All" album in the mid-70's when Ted and Derek St. Holmes were having a spat. Meatloaf later said that he was only paid $1,000 for the work.

Ahhhh, Todd Rundgren?
My wife was watching Meatloaf live shows just a couple of weeks ago and laughing off her chair so I had to check it out with my morning coffee.
One was clearly better than the other with very tasty and fairly advanced guitar parts, both with the same woman on vocals who was also very good.
I never saw footage of Marvin singing and the popularity made more sense with the visuals, and also seeing that live they pulled off the whole theatrics and nailed the music as well as the studio version that I heard on radio whenever that was that it was.
All surprising to me, then he's gone.
Not sure why my wife was watching either, she loves cheesy Rock but I didn't realize she liked this stuff.
By the end of the '70s I just removed myself from pop culture, more to avoid the pointy polyester collar disco thing than to avoid arena rock.

As for DeVito, her vocal on the live shows was spot on IIRC, didn't notice a difference from the album/ radio version, from memory at least.

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
The only thing I ever heard was Paradise by the Dashboard Light. It seemed like a silly, gimmicky song. I heard it maybe a few times on the radio in the '70s, but that was it. I never knew anyone who was a fan or owned any of his albums, never heard anyone talk about him, and never saw anything written about him.... but the news story about his death said he was one of the biggest selling artists in history. I find that strange. Who did he appeal to?
In the context mentioned, I was there… high school. I never bought it among others I did: The Cars, Cheap Trick, Blue Oyster Cult, Rush, Alice Cooper, Def Leppard, Thin Lizzy, Led Zep of the era.
Who listened? My teen friends who thought the song/story lines were quirky, and (as I observed at the time) not-really-music-listeners like my ‘sports friends?’
I always liked ‘Meatloaf’ and his over-the-top persona… God Rest Him.

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
The guitar player was Todd Rundgren. In reading about Meatloaf's death this morning I was surprised to learn that the female vocalist on "Dashboard" is not Karla DeVito, who was in the video. It was Ellen Foley, who went on to have her own career in music and a stint in acting, including the television show "Night Court."

Meatloaf sang three or four songs on Ted Nugent's "Free For All" album in the mid-70's when Ted and Derek St. Holmes were having a spat. Meatloaf later said that he was only paid $1,000 for the work.

Free for All is a super album, and I always got a kick that Meatloaf sang on it. DSH was the ‘Ted Singer’ for my part, but that was mainly swayed by the songs.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
An old friend of mine was befriended by Meatloaf when he was shooting the Steve Martin movie "Leap of Faith" back in the early 90's. My friend had a bit role in the film and was on set with him the entire shoot.
They'd go off for a drive afterwards and he was playing him demos or rough mixes of "I'd Do Anything For Love" to get his opinion...which was funny because my friend was a metal head.
He said he was just a really nice, normal guy...and once he found out my Buddy and his wife were having their first child, was an endless source of advice..

Wow man! That is REALLY cool, and that is a GREAT movie! Neato man.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I just learned Mr. Loaf and D'Angelo were appearing in the Broadway production of the rock musical "Rockabye Hamlet," directed and choreographed by Gower Champion. She played Ophelia and he was the priest.

Rockabye Hamlet.jpg

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
The alleged RIAA number is 14 million for the U.S., although I can't trace it back to an RIAA source. Remember that the bulk of those numbers are going to be from the '70s, pre-Soundscan, when albums would routinely ship platinum, pre-returns, and his label Cleveland International might've worked to juice those numbers. Someone said "Bat Out of Hell" was 25x platinum in Australia, but platinum status is 70K Down Under, and I'm pretty sure Australia and the U.K. were his primary markets outside the U.S. Perusing his touring history, I also see regular stops in Germany, Denmark and the Netherlands. I see no evidence that he saw much success in Asian or Spanish-speaking countries.

I remember Meat Loaf throwing out these impossibly huge sales numbers for "Bat Out of Hell" on his "Behind the Music" special back when it first aired in 1998 and thinking, "He is so full of it." I have nothing against him. I own the album. I love him in "Fight Club." But it's obviously carnival barker b.s.

As of 2019, over 14 million US sales. Over 40 million Worldwide.

ZenGuitarist

Tele-Afflicted
I wasn't a huge fan but respected him as a performer. I was a teenager when Paradise By The Dashboard Light was released and, well, I could relate.

The more performers like him I used to follow die, the more I'm reminded of my own mortality. It makes me depressed until I remind myself that I'm still living and breathing. Carpe diem and all that.

I'm going to watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show tonight in his memory.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My impression has always been that Meat Loaf lied wildly about the sales of "Bat Out of Hell." That said, I think it did sell a lot.
Well, 47 million copies ain’t nothing. I grew up on that record. Paradise is all non-fans remember, but there is some flat out killer songwriting on that record.

Granted he’s a lot bigger here in the CLE than he ever was on the west coast, but so was Steve Popovich. Those guys were and always will be royalty here on the north coast.

Last edited: