meat puppets

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by teleon, Jan 25, 2020.

1. teleon

teleon Tele-Holic

Old Plank, skunqesh, Jim603 and 3 others like this.
  2. doombhoy

doombhoy TDPRI Member

One of my all time favourite bands. Thanks.

sugarinthegourd likes this.
  3. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Just about forgotten about the Meat Puppets. The one great Arizona grunge band... loved em at the time...

4. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Some members here who may not be into the Meat Puppets could be surprised at the range of their styles.

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Have been a fan since 1986. A friend insisted I go see them with him. It was like the Grateful Dead, but even better. The Dead had fallen into a formula. These guys were truly flying by the seat of their pants. Still love 'em although their material since the last 90s album with Derrick has been hit or miss for me, they still have it.

Their live shows haven't been the same since the Forbidden Places tour. I miss that. Those who never saw them prior to that tour may not be able to understand what they were really like, and videos on the internet and live recordings won't do it justice, just like the Dead. There was an energy, a mysterious something that happened when they played live. Then they began to try to get signed to a label around the time of FBP, and it all changed.

Still one of my favorite bands ever.

6. Endless Mike

Grunge? Hardly. They were way weirder and far more diverse than that. They existed prior to that recording industry marketing term.

radiocaster, skunqesh and kafka like this.
  7. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I know. But they fit in pretty well once they were marketed that way. And, hey, they were heroes to Cobain, so forefathers of grunge in any case.

8. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

One of my favorite bands ever, been a fan since II came out in 1984, and saw them most recently in 2019, as great as ever.

9. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

They're the epitome of the Alternative band.

10. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have never paid much attention to this band. I like this! Thanks for posting. They have a new fan.

11. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A friend-former coworker of mine created the Dusty Notes album artwork. He lived across the street from the meat puppet brothers when they were all kids.

Name’s Sam Hundley. He’s been quite influential in his own chosen profession. Must’ve been something in the water.

12. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

Up on the Sun is one of my favorite albums.

13. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Curt Kirkwood’s solo stuff is pretty good. Gold is a great song.

14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen the Meat Puppets several times, and also Curt with Eyes Adrift, and I'd describe their live set as hours of pointless noodling punctuated by moments of brilliance.

I'm very glad that Cris has re-emerged and is doing well, he was always the nice one who would chat me up.

15. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

This stuff's great, I can't get into their early stuff though.

16. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

first time I heard tumblin tumble weeds I was immediately a fan, and it convinced me that 'talent' wasn't nearly as critical as 'stagecraft'.
    That all said, I think Curt is bloody talented and sometimes the stagecraft gets a little dry - at least these days.
    Still, in the backwaters churnin, there are some things that'll never change... :p

17. Endless Mike

I suppose it's a matter of perspective, coming from the point of view of having been aware of them before that fad hit. But then there's the fact that many of those bands hated that term as it was created by industry suits, not those making the music.

sugarinthegourd and raysachs like this.
  18. Endless Mike

Alternative was a term that first started becoming regularly used in the early 80s and encompassed everything from British new wave, to punk, American indy rock and more. If you listen to the first Meat Puppets album and their EP, followed by MP II and Up On The Sun, then fast forward to Huevos and Forbidden Places it becomes obvious that they are bigger than any label or term such as alternative or grunge. Those are just convenient labels that often times are meaningless, or worse very limiting.

I mean really, how do we define other "alternative" bands such as Devo or the Butthole Surfers? They have nothing in common, yet are contained in the same linguistic container. I don't buy it.

sugarinthegourd and radiocaster like this.
  19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's kind of the post-punk thing. Highly unlikely fans of the Exploited and Adam Ant would like each other's music, but in the 80s they could be friends because they'd both be shunned by society. I think some record stores had a "Punk and New Wave" section.

20. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

Took me awhile to recognize the huge Beefheart influence on that bizarre debut album. II was brilliant and Up on the Sun may be my favorite “rock” album ever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.