Means of selling vintage amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MitchJ89, Oct 13, 2019.

1. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 Tele-Meister

Does anyone know of other means of selling vintage amps besides Reverb, eBay, Craigslist.

Also, I’m in Atlanta in case anyone knows of anything here locally.

2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Some cities have a local online marketplace that beats CL. And somebody pointed out that Facebook has a local marketplace option.

3. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

Other than local music stores...reverb is the largest and best marketplace. Everyone is on it. Dealers, pro musician and little guys like me and you.

What do you have for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Facebook marketplace has been a great resource for a buyer, but not so sure about seller as the prices are always pretty low. I have an amp on there right now and have no bites in 3 weeks at a price that would move on reverb. I just don't want to deal with shipping or else it would go on Reverb.

muscmp and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Could also try listing it right here in the classifieds...just saying

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  6. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

7. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 Tele-Meister

I have a 63 Blackface Deluxe Non-Reverb that’s been sitting for a bit. I worry about local stores. They usually buy at a fraction of value for profit. I’m starting to think I might get more luck trading it for something.

8. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I was also going to suggest Facebook. There are also musical instrument swap meets around. There is great shop close to Orlando that buys and sells vintage guitars and amps. If your planning a trip to Florida soon.

9. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Guitar Swapmeets or Guitar Shows... coming soon to a town near you...

gridlock likes this.
  10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Facebook marketplace has been very, very good to me.

11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

You'll never lose if you buy right to begin with.

My "local music store" takes consignments. They aggressively market everything they have. They take 15%- 20% off the top. If the amp sells for hundreds they take 20%. If it sells for thousands they take 15%.

Perceived "value" is a moving target. If you paid $500 several years ago and you sell for $1500, you're money ahead.

Paid $500, sell for $1500 then see them on Reverb for $2500 you may feel like you got screwed. You're still money ahead.

Consider who you're selling to. Do you want to sell to musicians for a reasonable price and have your old amp make music... or do you want to sell to flippers, dealers and "investors" who view your instruments as financial instruments?

I think a lot of collectors and investors are overpaying. You may feel underpaid by comparison.

Geography plays a role. If you want top dollar for old Fender amps send them to Australia.

Atlanta to Nashville is only a four hour drive. Party in Nashville next weekend. Sell your amp while you're there.

I used to buy amps on 48th Street in NYC. For example We Buy Guitars was called We Buy Guitars for a reason. Manny's couldn't be bothered with all the crap that used to walk in the door. Only downside was spending my cab fare on an SVT head literally out in the street and then having to schlep it to the Port Authority. That would probably kill me, now.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

FB marketplace. Networking with other musicians. Its possible to look into apps like Letgo, but I'm not sure, as I've never used them.

Geography is huge. A friend drove 6 hours a few years back for an old brown face from a church somewhere.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Don't know about "swap meets".....is that just another name for guitar show?
    The problem with guitar shows is....unless you're willing to rent a booth and try to sell your amp there....the only people making offers will be dealers/vultures who will make low-ball offers. They HAVE to buy low enough to be able to "flip" it for as much profit as possible. In the "old days", I would put a few things on a dolly, and walk around the shows. Dealers would of course expect me to give my stuff to them, but my target clientele was the "end users".....players looking for a new amp or guitar. I tried to price fairly, but not low enough for the dealers.
    Craigslist has become much the same....."flippers" looking for give-aways so they can resell.
    I've BOUGHT on ebay (never SOLD) and never had any experience on Reverb. Good luck!

14. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

One of the guitar show promoters charges $400 a booth. You pretty much need to be a dealer and spread that $400 over a bunch of amps and guitars. They have a long list of rules, even a contract. "No noise allowed"...

I think part of the price weirdness is "Too many chiefs, not enough Indians." With a plethora of sales venues and without the necessity of a brick and mortar store, everyone is a dealer now.

Everyone is asking top dollar retail. That does actually inflate the low end of desirable instruments. If there is enough competition the bottom dollar price rises. If the bottom dollar rises, top dollar rises as well. That's how you form a "bubble".

If we have another 2007- '08 style downturn, lotta guys are gettin' stuck like they did back then.

stevemc likes this.
  15. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

L.A. Mike likes this.
  16. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 Tele-Meister

Well, I bought a vintage blonde tele from them a while back. They were pleasant to work with. Again, I would lose quite a bit of money selling to stores.

here’s a link to the Reverb posting for those who are interested:

https://reverb.com/item/21731685-1963-fender-blackface-deluxe-amp-pre-cbs-non-reverb

Priced a little higher on there to account for all of the fees piled on.

c

17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

FB Marketplace or CL are all I know of. The trouble is Reverb and Ebay charge tax now in tax states. I'm avoiding them both now. Also, Paypal has decided if something gets returned they are going to keep their fee! That's crazy with all the flakes out there returning stuff for no good reason. So I'm only using Reverb and using their ReverbPay option which is not Paypal.

18. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

A wise man once told me that there are 3 reasons why something doesn't sell:
    1. The item is something nobody wants.
    2. Nobody knows it's for sale.
    3. It's priced too high.
    Can't be #1, because your amp is very desirable.
    Can't be #2, because Reverb has millions of viewers.

AlbertaGriff and stevemc like this.
  19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes there's just a limited market for things. When I sold my '60 Brown Super amp a few years ago, it was on CL for months at $1400. Eventually I got $1200 out of it but the guy pushed real hard to trade a Carr Rambler for it. This was at least 5 years ago. But geez, that amp's worth a lot more today according to many people, but I bet it would be just as hard to sell at today's prices too.

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

What's wrong with eBay? You might get 2 or 3 dogs fighting over it.
    I watched a clapped out old tube reverb with issues go to just under a grand on eBay, then I went on Reverb and bought a well-serviced, original sweetie for less.
    Boxing and shipping amps does suck, though.
    Facebook marketplace been berry berry good to me.
    I never even leave the house.
    Even when I buy, I get people to come to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.