Me and Alex:

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes it did. I had seen the ad on the CL a few days prior to actually calling about him. I kept thinking, actually feeling like I should call, but thought he's gone by now anyway, and they just haven't taken the ad down. When I did call, thinking back, it did go smooth as silk, and I can't tell you how happy I am that no one else came for him! I don't know if some things are ordained but us having Alex come to live with us seems to have been. Here in Bakersfield, if something is free, it's usually gone before the guy gets his finger off the post button!

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Thank you Mike, I will never get over missing, and loving my little buddy Toto, but I am well on my way to really being charmed by Alex. He's just such a good dog, and seemingly has no faults of any kind. Like the old hunter once said about hunting dogs, a good dog will make you like him, and Alex is a good dog. I actually tested him again, yesterday, when we returned from out walk, I unsnapped his leash quite a ways back, and had momma open the door, he just stood there with me, and when she opened the door, he just trotted on in the house big as you please. I reckon he's liking us too!

3. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Best news I´ve heard in a long time!
    Congratulations to your new family member!

boris bubbanov and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Hear! Hear!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Great news, TD!

Yeah, that sounds a bit like our experience with Barney back in 1993. Except, Barney was a bit too rowdy around the ladies (all kinds of ladies) and so we got him fixed. Although he sure acted at times like he was a working example, afterward.

Pups are great therapy. I was all ready to do yesterday and today down in Mardi Gras Land, but the weather wasn't so good and besides, Dogs and Mayhem really don't mix. I decided I missed my pup Daisy more than I would miss some parades and misbehavior this year, so I loaded up the car and departed the Big Easy early.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

You know folks offer advice for me to have old Alex over to the chopping block, but he's just not so far exhibited any behavior that would warrant it around ladies of any description. I never had Toto fixed, he made it to fifteen, and it was his liver that failed not something in his reproductive system. Toto was an absolute gentleman in that regard all of his life too. Although my experience is limited, the male dogs that I have personally known who were neutered didn't change one iota. They just looked silly squatting to pee. In the woods, a neutered hound is useless, or at least I never saw one that was. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it done to me, and that's all I've got to go by.

Blue Bill likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Barney never quit peeing like a boy pup. I get the feeling that Daisy learnt how to pee from Barney, as she always peed that way also, against trees, and only now at age 14 has begun to do it either way.

I do suspect that some of the surgeries we do on animals could be interfering with their subsequent health. Take these ferrets for example. They're neutered and de-scented super young and then they end up having all sorts of problems later in life. Adrenal gland tumors, insulinomas, and while their may be some sort of breeders bottleneck going on here in terms of their DNA, I suspect we're in too much of a hurry to redesign the little critters so they can be quickly shuffled off into the pet trade. By comparison the "custom bred" ferrets get more time "being themselves" before they go under the knife, and they're often disease free and live closer to the 10+ years they should live to.

8. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Glad you changed your mind. :D

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

Sorry for catching up late, but congratulations on a new friend! As so many others have said, I hope you guys have many happy times together.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Thank you I'm sure we will.

11. Toto'sDad

I can relate, I've nearly stepped on Toto many times, and darned if I haven't done the same thing since having Alex. For some reason they sneak in under your feet and you don't know they're there. I have learned though to look before I stand up. I hate dreaming about harming anything.

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. Chinacat

Chinacat TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I'm late to the party but no reason not to celebrate. You'll always be Toto'sDad but now you'll be Alex'sDad as well.Many congratulations and I couldn't be more pleased for Alex and yourself

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

In a sense I have them both, since Toto will be with me in my heart all of my days. Alex is such a good dog, I am grateful he came my way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.