MDF Template Reinforcement

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by give me the toan, Aug 3, 2021.

1. give me the toan

give me the toan TDPRI Member

I know Ron Kirn likes to put superglue/cyanoacrylate on the sides of his MDF templates to strengthen them, but does anyone else have alternatives they can attest to?

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I don't but a bit of warning. I am hypersensitive to some super glues, floodind CA onto MDF would probably kill me. I wear a respirator whenever I use it (and unfortunately I do have to use it).

And while I don't use it on MDF I do brush thinned epoxy finishing resin on wood, I see no reason it wouldn't soak into the MDF and strengthen it.

I use MDF for quick and dirty templates, ones I only plan to use a couple of times. If its a production item I make it out of lucite or birch plywood.

3. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I use the old stand-by, shellac :).

I'll give a new template a good heavy coat that can sink in, and then follow that up with a couple more coats if I have time.

It soaks into the edges real well and toughens them up.

Shellac dries very quickly - so I usually do have enough time for those couple of follow-up coats ;).

4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like CA, Shellac and Minwax's Wood Hardener.

[​IMG]

5. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Afflicted

You could also use a polymerizing oil. I sometimes use dilute Titebond 2 or 3 to size end grains and such, but it could cause some swelling in an MDF template. Another possibility would be to copy the template in a more durable material.

6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The resin can be used on MDF, but the "factory finish" on the surface has to be abraded to promote better performance. Edges are a no-brainer, however...they will suck up the stuff cheerfully. :)

7. give me the toan

give me the toan TDPRI Member

I've read that I can mix some wood glue with water and spread that on the edges, but how much and how do I spread it?

8. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Afflicted

It's not really a precision operation; I mix it to a consistency that seems appropriate, around half and half I suppose, and spread it with a brush (I much prefer silicone brushes for glue, they're very easy to clean). You could spread it on with a rag or some such, but it'd be pretty messy. Also, always a good idea to put a coat of wax on anything you're worried about getting glue on; it sands off easily.

Axis29 likes this.
  9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

What Old Wrench said in post#3.

DC

10. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

How about putting the glue money towards upgrading from MDF to birch plywood it stays flat rigid and avoid messing about with nasty glue and toxic dust

11. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Tele-Meister

Haven’t made real deal templates, but have a couple ideas in my head:
    -rub baking soda(sodium bicarbonate) into the wood particle edge, then soak with CA. It should be freaking rock hard.
    -or, make the template about 005” smaller all the way around. Then superglue beer/soda can aluminum to the templates edge. I suspect I would find this procedure way too much of a p.i.t.a
    -also, to make the use of a lot of ca glue more reasonable, I’d like to wait until I have a bottle of ca that’s in danger of drying up soon, like when there’s much more air than glue in the bottle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.