1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

McVay/Glaser Bender Question

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Tweak, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Tweak

Tweak TDPRI Member

I have some questions for those using either a Glaser or McVay bender setup. Although I've seen many photos of these systems, I haven't had the opportunity to try one in person, thus a couple questions remain:

1. Does the actuator lever get in the way when playing notes in the upper register (near the heel)?

2. Does the actuator lever adversely affect the guitar's fit in a hardshell case?

Finally, and this is going to seem ridiculously evident to some of you:

3. How do you attach your strap to the hole in the actuator lever? Tie it on? Nuts, washers and bolts?

Any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated.

2. asatbender

asatbender Tele-Holic

i have a galser g/b bender that i love. never played a mcvay bender. but those two along with the parsons bender a probably the most popular.

1) never thought about it but yes after the 17th fret my hand hits the lever

2)my g&l has case that looks like it would fit a tele & strat style. i did have to push the foam where the levers rest to close the case w/o being to tight

3) hard to explain but the lever your strap hooks to has hole that faces you when you play. my strap connects to a strap-lock device that then locks into the hole on the lever. not sure but it may be one of those dulop strap-lock systems re-worked for a bender

i'll try to post a pic of the strap lock system

3. Tweak

Tweak TDPRI Member

Thanks, asat. Please do post a pic if possible.

4. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

Glaser bender answers

Just back from church with my ASAT III Glaser b bender guitar (saddle lock bridge)

1. In my experience, the neck plate actuator enhances access to the upper frets, and does not get in the way.

2. The lever fits fine in my G&L tolex and plastic cases without issue; this is also true for my ASAT Classic double bender.

3. The strap-lock is the attachment; all you do is install the strap portion of the lock system facing away from instead of towards you. It then fits right into the hole at the end of the lever that is the same size as the hollow Dunlop strap button that would go on the guitar.

One advantage of the glaser is that you can always use your standard position strap button to play w/o the bender.

5. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

now that you mention it....

there's no reason you can't install a stationary strap button on the neckplate of a Parsons type bender guitar either....

6. Tweak

Tweak TDPRI Member

Thanks, guys. This has been really helpful. I was not aware that a "strap-lock" came with these benders. I've never heard anyone mention that specifically.

How far does the actuator stick out from the rear of the guitar? I'm not talking the length of the actuator, but rather, the space between the neckplate and the actuator lever.

BrianF,

I've seen people with Parsons benders remove one neckplate screw, thread it through a strap button, then replace the screw. There's a picture of this in Dan Erlewine's book, "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!"

[​IMG]

7. Teleologist

Teleologist Tele-Meister

If I understand right, the extra depth is ~3/8". My Glaser fits fine in the stock Fender vintage hardshell case as well as an SKB. The levers length also extends ~3/8" from the edge of the body, so either way...

As others have posted, the strap connects using a Dunlop Strap-lock. There is some interference IMO - how much depends on whether you keep your thumb behind the neck or wrapped over the top.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.