1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

McDonalds self-order kiosks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NJ Deadhead, Jan 9, 2019.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There is a McD about a mile from where I live. They put in the kiosks - whenever they are busy, they disable them because they cannot keep up.

The service has gotten slower since they went in. With about 5 people in the order area, it now takes about 25 minutes from the end of your order until you get your food. They have managed to take the "fast" out of fast food.

We've spoken to the manager - they can no longer attract people to work there, and there is a revolving door of kids / young adults that work for a month and bail.

Sad state for them.

2. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

What goes around comes around. Jack-in-the-Box Clown served that purpose back in the 70's and was available for extended conversations at 2:00AM.

3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

...although the kiosk is nice if you have a lot of customizations you need - like no bun and extra shredded lettuce. Dietary restrictions make fast food a bit of a challenge sometimes.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

1. I haven't eaten at McDonald's in decades.
    2. Self-order kiosks are the result of two things.
      1. Under-educated and ignorant workforce that can't count change or understand variations or complicated orders.
      2. Rising wages for the group in item "1" above.

John Backlund likes this.
  5. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

The one where I grew up has gone through a whole bunch of iterations.

Initial iteration - 6 registers and a drive through. Attendants got your drink, good to go - worked well. Must've been expensive.

Second iteration (that I can remember), they halved the counter size and had three registers, usually two manned. Often people would support the person ringing folks up, the open part of the counter on the opposite side had self serve things that counter attendants would have done. It worked terribly. They went from an average of four people on registers to two on register, one sometimes supporting each and sometimes not (but bad coordination). We stopped going there - busy road, busy restaurant. I guess they thought they'd save on two cashiers.

Now, they've got the kiosks. When I go home to where I grew up, it's on vacation, so I might be there in the middle of the day with my dad. All older folks there, nobody touches the kiosks. FIL and I will play with them when we visit that side of the family, but he's more open minded than my dad and never in a hurry. And his job was some kind of data management at a power company, so he's got more patience with new technology.

I guess the franchises ultimately get to pay for the development costs and experiments. It's a hard business, people want cheap, they say they want healthy (but they really don't - i don't see people ordering that at McDonalds), and they expect fast service. McDonalds creates promos on behalf of the restaurants that have them selling some things at low profit or a loss.

It's interesting that when these topics come up, nobody is every complaining about the changes that they make at wendy's or chick fil a.

6. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Holic

hahaha...well, I use to really dig the McRib. Until I ate two in one sitting. I didn't know I was capable of launching projectiles that far! I'm scarred for life, I can never eat another again :(

7. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Holic

Yeah man, WAWA is heaven! I miss them so much! We don't have them down here in SC. I used to love going in at 2am after band practice or a gig and still be able to get a fresh sub! That's entirely different though, it's not a restaurant, it's a convenience store. I totally don't mind placing my own order there.

8. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

Chick Fil A is super fast, the staff know me by name and converse with me, refill my drink while I sit at my table, and take care of me. They have a different level of employee because they offer a different level of pay and benefits. When I go to a different Chick Fil A, they work similarly, though there have been some negative experiences outside of 'rush' hours.

And quite frankly, Wendy's doesn't have kiosks. Although they are super slow (imo) with the single register model. I refuse to go there for 'fast' food. I go there when I cannot find anything else and am desperate to eat (I do like their burgers).

9. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Holic

If it comes. I've had it happen on a few occasions where the kiosk order got overlooked and all the orders placed at the counter kept coming out.

10. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Holic

Yes, in a perfect world, this makes sense. It just doesn't work that way. Typically, while you go to the kiosk, other people go to the counter. Their orders come out first. When you are done ordering at the kiosk, you then have to get someone's attention to get your cup (or wait and hope they remember to bring it with your order - they usually don't though). You have to grab a disgusting crud-caked table number placard and carry it. Then you have to go to the bathroom to wash the crud off of your hands from carrying the placard. Even worse, if you are paying cash you have to get into ANOTHER line to pay. Other places have implemented these systems so much better!

I guess I also need to take into account that I live in SC now, amongst the laziest people I have ever encountered in my life. It's a beautiful state, and where I live the jobs are great...but man I've never witnessed such gross incompetence anywhere else that I have lived/visited.

11. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

McRib is seasonal... only comes out around Christamas time.... idk why BBQ and christmas goes together but according to McDonald's it does.

Pisses me off.

12. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Holic

If you want it YOUR way, you gotta go to Burger King

13. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Holic

Yes, that is how it should be. There if you want it...not forced on you.

14. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Maybe the seasons only open around Christmas time for whatever animal they get the McRib off of?;)

WetBandit likes this.
  15. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

It’s because pork is cheap at that time of year. There is no other reason. Pure economics.

Manual Slim and WetBandit like this.
  16. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I would kill for some Jack right now.

It’s been 25 years, and we don’t have them in my part of Florida.

17. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Yup that's exactly what I told my wife...

But with everyone buying hams and bacon I guess McDonalds capitalizes on the leftovers from the pig...

Lol

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  18. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

So do they have a Play-Doh machine in the backroom that squirts them out?o_O

WetBandit likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Manual Slim and SPUDCASTER like this.
  20. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

Have you been to the sit down Sonic in Bricktown? That’s a wierd experience

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.